Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
    IncGamers Member

My 60 min exp/hour gear guide (alka route)

In the last few post I went to the conclusion that Magic Find is still the most important thing in this patch.

For me this is bad, because I like the hardest contest that I can fight. High MP luckily give us free Magic Find (aka better affix roles) BUT you need to have natural cap MF from gear/paragon to really have advantage of this free MF in high MPs.

So, imo, the 1st step to enjoy high MP maximing your Magic find is pretty simple:

Paragon level 100

To be honest, I hate exping characters, don't ask me why. In 3 years of WoW experience in one of the best top100 guilds/word I exped to cap level only my main and one alt for daily quest (and I hated to do so!).

I knew I needed the fatest way to exp my toon, so I geared my toon with this goal in mind. At 1st I just went for my dps gear that is pretty cool at mp 2-4 since I have more then 160k dps unbuffed 5 atk/sec 45%cc 450%cd. Then I tried to drop serenity and seize the iniziative and went with this skill build at mp0

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...XbS!ZgU!acabcc

I wanted more and I added a decent infernal machine ring to my exp gem. The experience gain increased a lot so I followed this idea: building around %exp gear cap. This is pretty simple since there aren't too many slot in the game with this affix, they are

Infernal machine ring
    Exp Gem
    Leoric Signet
    Cain set

Keep in mind that You can also put on your follower ANOTHER Infernal Machine ring and leoric for an extra 1/5 of that value! This is up to 139% more experience.

Here we go with my BiS for exp farming at mp0

Helm/pants/feet: Cain set with vit or main stat affix. You want 11% speed feet. The gloves are the best dps slot in the game so don't waste this with Cain set.

Torso: Tyrael might, no way around. This chest is amazing for alka route. You need extra 12%MS no matter what and the extra 15%demon dmg/4%elite dmg is HUGE (perfect roll ofc). I suggest to take the dmg affix as close as possible to perfection, then look for a decent random affix based on your $$. 3 socket or vit roll over 190 are the best.

Rings: a good dps infernal ring and Leoric signet on both you and follower. Remember that 20%Leoric signet on your follower is an extra 4%exp, so try to balance your cash based on the combination of the Leoric duo that you will use for the best total %exp. I went for 29/25 so I'm 2% away from the %exp cap.

Gloves: Based on your cash again, dex/vit trifecta with owe are usually the best (and expensive)

Bracer: You can push yourself in the dps with a good lacuni (vit/dex owe res and MUST HAVE CC for example) so you also cap the last 2% Moviment Speed missing. Or not be as crazy and look for the usuall dex/vit +cc+owe/ar BiS

Cinture: A good witching hour, again no way around.

Amulet: expensive trifecta. I would also like to try out something like a bifecta amulet with high loh to drop lifestal/socket weapon for a cd/socket one but I honestly don't know if this works better.

Main Hand: I went for a 1200 dps 3%ls/socket. Again it based on you but at least 1.40 base atk speed is required.

Off Hand: I opted for a shield because I didn't have the best infernal machine ring or godly gloves/amulet so the dps gain from a sweet off hand was pretty low with all this sub pair gear. With the shield I gained a toon of hp and good armor to balance my build without seize. If you have better gear you can just go for your best Echoing fury + off hand

For reference this is my monk:

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/B.../hero/21801170

and, once again, this is the build:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...XbS!ZgU!acabcc

About the alka route that I use:

1) Start at the checkpoint in front of Azmy and go back to the WP rushing NV
    2)Go at Tower of the Damned lvl 1 doing the full circle to stack other NV, when I run back at the teleport I go at:
    3a) Keep Deths lvl 3 and I run back clearing anything up to Keep Deths level 1 WP If I got unlucky and had only up to 3 NV stacks after Tower of the Damned
    3b) Keep Deths lvl 1, immediately enter Keep Deths lvl 2 and clear it then Teleport back to town.
    4) WP at Rakkis Crossing clearing up to Bridge of Korsaikk WP
    5) Arreat Crater lvl 2 clear it then restart the game.

I know some people don't run Rakkis crossing but they only do Fields of Slaughter using the Bridge of Korsaikk WP, this is just my playstyle. As you can see I also sometimes add KD lvl 3 when I got unlucky with my NV to max out the speed of the run no matter what.

The only trick that I found helpfull is to use 3rd part scenario (like piles of bones) to keep up cyclone all the time. Refreshing it is the worst use of your spirit imo and with 1hand/shield it's the best way to go down in speed.

I hope that you liked my gear idea and If you have any way to improve this let me know
    Last edited by Ban Jo; 23-11-2012 at 14:19.

IncGamers Member

Re: My 60 min exp/hour gear guide (alka route)

Uh I experience a LOT of minions at the very first map.. Teleporting to stonefort and actually going BACK to base from there. 1.05 brought always 5+ elites there & dozens of easy to kill whites.

Also: why combination strike? Isn't reduced cooldowns better (and fill the extra slot with something like dashing strike / quickening?). Also with that gear, how do you ever keep sweeping wind up - or even recast overawe/blinding flash? You won't ever get enough mantra from the monsters you kill, killing dozens in 1 hit?

IncGamers Member

I don't understand the question to be honest. With this gear I can keep up:

mantra
    Sweeping wind
    Breath of heaven

without any problem and use blinding flash at any cd. I can't refresh mantra every 3 second that's true, but to do so with cain + leoric+inf machine imo you'll need trifecta amu/gloves ias inf ring and 2wield to generate enough spirit but this is not needed at mp0. Just keep running around hitting mobs or scenario to don't drop sweeping wind too often. It's easy after you understood how to master it.

Combination strike is just another small dps boots, If you feel like that reduced cooldown will give you more dps try it out. Dashing strike can be a sweet idea to speed things up but a free extra 18%dps is hard to drop, also with the small synergie from combination strike.

Anyway I didn't feel like I lack any spirit regeneration and the build is pretty standard as full dps. I'll try your suggestion and see if I can improve my exp/hour even more.

edit: I added that imo at least 1.40 base atk speed is required for spirit regeneration.

IncGamers Member

Well I used dashing strike for all my time, so I hate it when people "accidentally" pop environment. but just wondering if innas set won't beat this :-/

1. What is an alka route?
    2. So this is about leveling up as fast as possible. Why are you leaving multiple areas untouched then?
    3. The author forgot he/she gets bonus experience from nephalem valour stacks? Isn't restarting the game all the time counterproductive instead of keeping the 75 or 95% bonus exp buff?
    4. No spirit regen.

That's all i could think of at this time. Thanks.

IncGamers Member

I find most of act 3 is worth farming for experience. I'll typically run it in these segments:

Tower of the Damned 1 WP through Cydaea, ending at Core of Arreat WP
    Bridge WP through Rakkis Crossing, ending at Tower 1 WP
    Depths 3 WP through Depths 1, ending in town
    Town through Stonefort until end
    Core of Arreat and Azmodan

For the Keep Depths part I like to zone in to Depths 1 from town, go back to town then go to the Depths 1 WP and zone in to Depths 2, then actually start clearing from Depths 3 WP and go backwards. This way you start in 3, which is the most linear. When you move in to Depths 2 and 1, the exits are already marked on the map making a full clear faster without a risk of backtracking.

The only areas I'm not willing to do are the ice cave in the Fields of Slaughter and the battlefield areas behind the Bridge WP. The ice cave has the "Standard Sub-Dungeon Layout" (1-3 elite packs on floor 1, 1-2 elite packs + resplendent chest on floor 2) but it is made up of winding narrow passages and dead ends, making it much less efficient than similar areas in act 1 and 2. I used to use the battlefield area as the first area I went to in a run. It has a low white mob density, but has several rare spawn events, mini-dungeons that have an elite pack inside them and nothing else, a resplendent chest, and at least 1 Standard Sub-Dungeon. This can make for a fairly fast 5 NV stack without wasting a "good" area, but it has fairly high variance because you depend on the rare spawns. Just starting the run at Tower 1 is more consistent and just as fast for 5 stacks.

The Alkaizer run seems to say that many more areas in act 3 are never worth doing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfoBJBFHYmM

But then again, this route was designed for a barb at MP0, killing white mobs primarily with sprint, and completely ignoring potions, gems, and rares. What changes for a monk in 1.0.5?

BattleTag Sass-1761

My Monk personally does:

1. Core checkpoint to WP, go to the Tower 2 WP and clear to stairs.
    2. TP to town and enter Tower 1 WP and clear to stairs (short distance).
    3. I usually get max stack, so clear crater 2
    4. Then crater 1.
    5. I do the Rakkis to the choke point
    6. Then outside to run the fist level to the Golgor and back to town to exit and repeat.

I do this MP0, though I've tinkered with MP1. white mobs I can all but 1-2 shot, but elites eat me so it's MP0 for me. I also have been skipping rares, though I will grab rings, amulets and a few level 63 items.

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzarino View Post
    I find most of act 3 is worth farming for experience. I'll typically run it in these segments:

Tower of the Damned 1 WP through Cydaea, ending at Core of Arreat WP
    Bridge WP through Rakkis Crossing, ending at Tower 1 WP
    Depths 3 WP through Depths 1, ending in town
    Town through Stonefort until end
    Core of Arreat and Azmodan

For the Keep Depths part I like to zone in to Depths 1 from town, go back to town then go to the Depths 1 WP and zone in to Depths 2, then actually start clearing from Depths 3 WP and go backwards. This way you start in 3, which is the most linear. When you move in to Depths 2 and 1, the exits are already marked on the map making a full clear faster without a risk of backtracking.

The only areas I'm not willing to do are the ice cave in the Fields of Slaughter and the battlefield areas behind the Bridge WP. The ice cave has the "Standard Sub-Dungeon Layout" (1-3 elite packs on floor 1, 1-2 elite packs + resplendent chest on floor 2) but it is made up of winding narrow passages and dead ends, making it much less efficient than similar areas in act 1 and 2. I used to use the battlefield area as the first area I went to in a run. It has a low white mob density, but has several rare spawn events, mini-dungeons that have an elite pack inside them and nothing else, a resplendent chest, and at least 1 Standard Sub-Dungeon. This can make for a fairly fast 5 NV stack without wasting a "good" area, but it has fairly high variance because you depend on the rare spawns. Just starting the run at Tower 1 is more consistent and just as fast for 5 stacks.

The Alkaizer run seems to say that many more areas in act 3 are never worth doing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfoBJBFHYmM

But then again, this route was designed for a barb at MP0, killing white mobs primarily with sprint, and completely ignoring potions, gems, and rares. What changes for a monk in 1.0.5?
    Mp settings were not even invented when alkaizar was playing.

IncGamers Member

I had write a guide about gear chose to fast exp. Talking with some end game friends with 80+ paragon and sweet gear most of them told me that 60 milions is still a pretty amazing exp/hour set up and some on them are also testing it on other toons (basically tyrael + exp gear cap) and the replies that I got here are:

-What is alka route and why you skip areas
    - alka route was done for mp0/baba
    - I do this route that route etc

I wrote my exp route just for information, the main point of this "guide" wasn't to discuss about what alka did. As I wrote, if you believe that you got a better exp/hour route you're more then welcome if you want to share it btw. For the other replies I can only think:

-You don't care about exp, never checked how to improve it or how much you gain for hour
    -No idea what I was talking about

I don't want to say that any reply was from a low skill / low theorycraft perspective, but it's pretty close.

on the "no spirit regen" topic. Let me say that I rerolled from wd to monk because monk DOES NOT NEED spirit regenaration. Your reg is the IAS. If you have a good monk with over 100k dps and 40% ias you know what I'm talking about. For this item build set up I suggest:

- use 2 weapons and try to take some random affix with armor/melee mitigation (or go back to seize)
    - use a shield with hour/lacuni (better both)

I'm still not sure what is the best choice.

on the skill build: I think that this is the best dps skill build for monkies at least when you'r not moving around. All the record of mp10 solo uber were done with this skill build for example. I don't know if it's the best while moving around but should be pretty close, at least imo and with this items build.
    Last edited by Ban Jo; 25-11-2012 at 07:26.