Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 104
  1. #11
    Europe Trade Moderator krischan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    33,219

    Re: American Homeless people

    I already mentioned this in a previous thread about that matter:

    How would that match the text on the plaque of the Statue of Liberty? It doesn't mention a certain quota of tired and poor to be sent. Without that plaque, it's as fine for the US to do that indeed.
    D3 Trading Forums: Europe - America
    Diablo Wiki / Arreat Summit / ATMA / Forum Rules / Adria
    You know I'm born to lose / and gambling is for fools / but that's the way I like it, baby / I don't want to live forever!

  2. #12
    IncGamers Member nurman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland (+2.GMT)
    BattleTag nurman-2854
    Posts
    4,868

    Re: American Homeless people

    Quote Originally Posted by BobCox2 View Post
    Homeless in an area where you can survive outdoors temps 24/7/360 in a light jacket is a bit easier than homeless in Sweden.
    As a finn, I'll second this.

    But yeah, in northern europe, you have to really screw up to end up homeless or be an illegal immigrant.

  3. #13
    IncGamers Member Stevinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    chicagoland
    Posts
    5,003

    Re: American Homeless people

    Quote Originally Posted by krischan View Post
    I already mentioned this in a previous thread about that matter:

    How would that match the text on the plaque of the Statue of Liberty? It doesn't mention a certain quota of tired and poor to be sent. Without that plaque, it's as fine for the US to do that indeed.
    If you go see it in person there's a space and then it says "JK ;P"


    Doesn't jive with the concept of american exceptionalism. So because europe does something wrong, it's okay for us to do it too. I thought we thought better of ourselves than that.

  4. #14
    IncGamers Member jmervyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    12,936

    Re: American Homeless people

    Quote Originally Posted by krischan View Post
    I already mentioned this in a previous thread about that matter:

    How would that match the text on the plaque of the Statue of Liberty? It doesn't mention a certain quota of tired and poor to be sent. Without that plaque, it's as fine for the US to do that indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevinator View Post
    If you go see it in person there's a space and then it says "JK ;P"


    Doesn't jive with the concept of american exceptionalism. So because europe does something wrong, it's okay for us to do it too. I thought we thought better of ourselves than that.
    Neither does it say, "Give me your indolent, your freeloaders, your lazy gobshytes yearning to live off of someone else's labour." That's what the modern Left pretends it means, but really it never has - the only reason people accept the twisted interpretation is that it steadily increases the Socialist Democrat voter rolls. For Steve to refer to American exceptionalism in that light is particularly insulting; there was never a belief that "Land of the Free" was intended as "Land of the Handout". Completely open borders, as demanded by the Left, flies in the face of the very concept of a nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Steyn
    Republicans think they’re importing hardworking immigrants who want a shot at the American Dream; the Democrats think they’re importing clients for Big Government. The Left is right: Just under 60 percent of immigrants receive some form of welfare. I see the recent Republican proposals for some form of amnesty contain all sorts of supposed safeguards against gaming the system, including a $525 application fee for each stage of the legalization process. On my own recent visit to a U.S. Immigration office, I was interested to be told that, as a matter of policy, the Obama administration is now rubberstamping all “fee waiver” requests for “exceptional hardship” filed by members of approved identity groups. And so it will go for all those GOP safeguards. While Canada and Australia compete for high-skilled immigrants, America fast-tracks an unskilled welfare class of such economic benefit to their new homeland they can’t even afford a couple of hundred bucks for the necessary paperwork.

    It’s hardly their fault. If you were told you could walk into a First World nation and access free education, free health care, free services in your own language, and have someone else pay your entrance fee, why wouldn’t you? So, yes, Republicans should “moderate” their tone toward immigrants, and de-moderate their attitude to the Dems who suckered the GOP all too predictably. Decades of faintheartedness toward some of the most destabilizing features of any society, including bilingualism (take it from a semi-Belgian Canadian), have brought the party to its date with destiny. Or as Peggy Lee sang long ago in a lost land, “Mañana is soon enough for me.”

  5. #15
    IncGamers Member Urzuxo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    BattleTag Ask me!
    Posts
    1,183

    Re: American Homeless people

    Quote Originally Posted by jmervyn View Post
    Funny how it's ok for Europe to say "feck off", but not the U.S. Neh?
    Don't you guys feck off mexicans all the time?

  6. #16
    IncGamers Member Glurin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    965

    Re: American Homeless people

    Quote Originally Posted by Urzuxo View Post
    Don't you guys feck off mexicans all the time?
    Hardly. If anything, they are telling us to feck off in our own country.

  7. #17
    Europe Trade Moderator krischan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    33,219

    Re: American Homeless people

    I will assume that you are exaggerating, not noticing that some people may interpret your words as a kind of racism.

    Quote Originally Posted by jmervyn View Post
    Neither does it say, "Give me your indolent, your freeloaders, your lazy gobshytes yearning to live off of someone else's labour."
    Logically spoken, it says "if somebody is tired or poor, send him to us" while it doesn't say anything about further requirements. Anyway, the US welcomed a lot of tired and poor people. Besides, the text on the plaque doesn't promise that mooches will be fed or that criminals won't be thrown into jail, just because they are poor and tired. Beibng welcome also doesn't come with citizenship.
    D3 Trading Forums: Europe - America
    Diablo Wiki / Arreat Summit / ATMA / Forum Rules / Adria
    You know I'm born to lose / and gambling is for fools / but that's the way I like it, baby / I don't want to live forever!

  8. #18
    IncGamers Member jmervyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    12,936

    Re: American Homeless people

    Quote Originally Posted by krischan View Post
    I will assume that you are exaggerating, not noticing that some people may interpret your words as a kind of racism.
    Me? Or Glurin? Personally, I doubt it; we have as a culture a heck of a lot less racism than Germany or most European states do. Consider German attitudes towards "Turks"? Mexicans are frequently quite racist, as are blacks - one of the main organizations claiming to represent Mexicans is called "La Raza" (The Race) and makes claims that would be familiar coming from the mouth of a Grand Klaxon of the KKK.
    Quote Originally Posted by krischan View Post
    Logically spoken, it says "if somebody is tired or poor, send him to us" while it doesn't say anything about further requirements. Anyway, the US welcomed a lot of tired and poor people. Besides, the text on the plaque doesn't promise that mooches will be fed or that criminals won't be thrown into jail, just because they are poor and tired. Beibng welcome also doesn't come with citizenship.
    If we want to go full nerd, it's nothing but a poem on a plaque written by a Portugese Jewess in 1883 after hearing about the Russian pogroms, and has no reflection in actual U.S. policy. There's all manner of Christian scripture written in National Monuments, but you never hear the fascist Left demanding those be enforced as statutes.

    If you think about it, the problem is because the Mariel Boatlift set a wonderful precedent for socialist Democrats. We take the worst elements of other populations, and they'll reliably vote Democrat in order to ensure "free stuff". That's no model to follow, as Steyn discussed.

  9. #19
    Europe Trade Moderator krischan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    33,219

    Re: American Homeless people

    Quote Originally Posted by jmervyn View Post
    Me? Or Glurin? Personally, I doubt it; we have as a culture a heck of a lot less racism than Germany or most European states do. Consider German attitudes towards "Turks"? Mexicans are frequently quite racist, as are blacks - one of the main organizations claiming to represent Mexicans is called "La Raza" (The Race) and makes claims that would be familiar coming from the mouth of a Grand Klaxon of the KKK.
    I referred to Glurin's last posting, not to German, Mexican or American racists. I guess he was just a bit angry when he wrote it.

    If we want to go full nerd, it's nothing but a poem on a plaque written by a Portugese Jewess in 1883 after hearing about the Russian pogroms, and has no reflection in actual U.S. policy. There's all manner of Christian scripture written in National Monuments...
    I agree.

    It doesn't matter who made the plaque and I'm aware that its over 100 years old. It doesn't reflect the current US immigration policy anymore, but that's not the point of still having it. It belongs to the statue and it would be silly to remove it.

    We have a couple of monuments here as well which don't match our policy in full and we keep them as they are, just like the US.
    D3 Trading Forums: Europe - America
    Diablo Wiki / Arreat Summit / ATMA / Forum Rules / Adria
    You know I'm born to lose / and gambling is for fools / but that's the way I like it, baby / I don't want to live forever!

  10. #20
    IncGamers Member Glurin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    965

    Re: American Homeless people

    Quote Originally Posted by krischan View Post
    I will assume that you are exaggerating, not noticing that some people may interpret your words as a kind of racism.
    Not so much, no. They sneak into the U.S. in droves, get "free" medical care, education, welfare, etc. which the legal citizens have to pay for, then they cry foul (or the people that want votes from that demographic do) if we try to send them back home and tell them that if they want to come here, do it legally. There's even been buzz about allowing them the legal right to vote in some places, with accusations of racism flying wildly when someone says no. (Note that we are supposed to call them "undocumented workers/immigrants" now rather than "illegal aliens".)

    And since you mention it, we often here someone crying racism when we tell them to get out because they are here illegally. Heck, these days it seems like anything you say is racist if you're white. Any other shade of brown and you can say anything you want, including the kind of stuff you'd expect from those guys in pointy, white hoods in the deep south almost a hundred years ago. But if you're pale colored, why you're just "born racist". At this point, I just expect to be called a racist by somebody when discussing immigration or various other subjects.

    I believe it's the result of certain political interests pushing the PC button way too many times to use the appeal to emotion it evokes against their rivals. Look what happened when Arizona tried to actually enforce the law, which the federal government refused to do, because they've got a really bad illegal alien problem there. You'd have thought that Arizona was the new KKK headquarters of the world the way lefties talked about it.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •