Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
    IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Potemkin-1291

Hardcore Monk Build Discussion

Current Monk:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/P.../hero/28713465

I wanted to open a conversation thread regarding builds specifically for Monk use in hardcore. Given, I have limited time playing monk I wanted to bring up what I've used thus far and the results I've gotten regarding speed / practice / etc. This being my second monk in 2 weeks (first one died to Dashing + 7SS bug at level 58) I feel like I've learned a few things and want to say if they make muster.

My current build is actually what I'll use till Level 60 with the exception of 2 things. 1.) Once Conviction + Overawe becomes available shortly, it'll replace Wave of Light. 2.) Fleet Footed changes to OWE around later 40's.

My last monk used 7SS rather than BoH Blazing, however after using 7SS after dashing caused my death, I'm a little jaded. I also like the idea of a on command heal every 15 plus the 15% damage buff. Combining 15% damage buff with 48% damage taken increase from Overawe brings a ton of cowbell and it also makes Sweeping Winds + TClap hit like a train.

That said, I've heavily considered using ROFLCOPTER instead instead of Dashing at 60. It's a little faster and definitely be less buggy. However, Dashing Strike is not only "oh sh*t I'm stuck time to roll out" skill, but a damage avoidance skill. Many time you can escape certain boss mechanics (Butcher smashes, Azmo fireballs, etc) by good timing on porting.

Inputs?

P.S. For leveling Wave of Light Empowered Light is so ridiculous if you have gear that isn't crap.

Re: Hardcore Monk Build Discussion

I've been using DS+7SS...I'd rather avoid death due to a bug if possible. What is the bug?

Also, since I just started HC recently I had some gold limitations that led me to using 2 handers. I ran Crippling Wave - Mangle and Overawe (once it was available) with a lot of success. Cleared Normal and Nightmare quickly and without incident on mp10/mp5 respectively with my second monk (my first monk died at 54 Act2 Hell mp1).

My build was mostly similar to yours, but I didn't use SW for a change since I was getting plenty of AoE with CW.

I don't know that this is really helpful in any way because of how trivial Normal/Nightmare have felt. Even Hell was a breeze until I got caught being careless by a frozen/horde/arcane guardian pack in act 2. Once I get through hell I'll have more to offer.

I play self found, so I'm used to playing with sub-par gear. And I've found that the combination of Tempest Rush + SSS is great for HC. Great mobility, and an elite killing ability every 30 seconds.

Other than that I also use Thunderclap, Blazing Wrath, Peaceful Response and Overawe. Clicky. Thunderclap is amazing for mobility, but I advise to use another skill like Temest Rush, Dashing Strike, etc for when you get swarmed.

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag zt0-2554

Ive had a few monks and the first one trying out all sorts of skills to find something viable and fun playing got to ACT 2 inferno without using AH. Had no real problems he died cause i got reckless. The 2 following monks used the same skills except that i switched out Mystic ally in favour of SSS which is a real killer every 30 seconds.

The skills im using can be seen on my latest monk: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/z.../hero/21782520 he is still alive and kicking in ACT 4 inferno.

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Malentros-1414

Going to try playing inferno with my monk. I was looking at some posts on the official US Hardcore forums and I saw a build using Deadly Strike-Keen Eye using Earth Ally for tanking which struck my fancy. However the proponent of that build also recommended either Dashing Strike or Tempest Rush to avoid getting boxed in. I'd have to drop either Wave of Light or my Ally to get it (or both to add Seven Sided Strike which I'm seriously considering now).

Anyone here using Dashing Strike instead of Tempest Rush, and also had some bad (buggy?) experiences? Is SSS so good against elites its worth dropping the ally's tanking abiltiies for?

Quote Originally Posted by Malentros View Post
    Anyone here using Dashing Strike instead of Tempest Rush, and also had some bad (buggy?) experiences? Is SSS so good against elites its worth dropping the ally's tanking abiltiies for?
    Don't have much experience with Dashing Strike, so I'll leave this open for someone else to reply.

The tanking ability is great, but I haven't looked back since I started using SSS. I use Sudden Assault, which is the best rune of taking down single/few targets. If you can tank mobs yourself, no problem, then you'll down them faster with SSS. And if you can't tank them, use some kiting and strategic use of SSS. It can serve as a teleport if elites spawn with Jailer/Waller. And if you're losing health fast, you can try and take down one champ/minion, and unleash SSS on the rest.

If you use Mantra of Conviction/Overawe like myself, proc it and then use SSS, and you'll see the HP melt away.