Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    IncGamers Member
    BattleTag AbNormal-1124

Re: How to Multishot - A Speedfarming DH Guide

Quote Originally Posted by cheerupemokid10 View Post
    I've been running this for questing/leveling from mid A1 inferno and I breezed through both A1 and A2 all on mp0 of course. Now A3 has been a little tougher.
    Is that the build you were running last night? Looked fun.

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag AbNormal-1124

Even though my gear is nowhere close to the specs, being entirely self-found and slanted heavily toward defense, I tried this out last night (swapping Bola Shot for Preparation) and rolled through Act 3 Inferno @ MP0 with my baby plvl 12. Ended up getting an entire plvl out of it, and netted about 700K gold and a goodly amount of materials from salvaging everything that was less than 1K in sale value. It did take me 3 and a half hours to do the last half of the act, though, so my kill speed was nowhere up to snuff. Still, it was nice to try some different skills, and I will definitely keep this build in my pocket for solo farming. (When I'm teamed with my husband's wizard, we desperately need a tank, so I'll be using Boar instead of Bat.) Thanks!

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag iMikee-2957

What an awesome build! Im trying it on my HC DH. first Dh ive ever made and i love it!
    substituted some skills due to level and for survival but all in all im using the essence.
    im only lvl 42 and im in NM belail but ill let you know as i progress. i think this might be a viable leveling build for HC, at least in "early levels" ~20-50.
    if you play HC and want tips let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by Goffe View Post
    What an awesome build! Im trying it on my HC DH. first Dh ive ever made and i love it!
    substituted some skills due to level and for survival but all in all im using the essence.
    im only lvl 42 and im in NM belail but ill let you know as i progress. i think this might be a viable leveling build for HC, at least in "early levels" ~20-50.
    if you play HC and want tips let me know!
    Some tips for Hardcore only:
    1. Discipline, discipline, discipline. When you have Gloom up, it's pretty hard to die. When you can't activate Gloom (or Preparation), it's time to run away. Xeph, SoJ, quiver, cloak. Don't miss any.
    2. Drop Tactical Advantage, but not Vault; get Perfectionist. You don't want to be using Discipline between battles; you still want to be able to get out of surrounds. You'll rarely double-vault out of surrounds, so don't waste a slot on Tumble, get another rune.
    3. You still don't need Smoke Screen; Gloom for tanking and Vault for escapes is enough. Vault breaks Jailer and it's not hard to move (Vault if necessary) out of frozen orbsplosions. Have a healthy respect for Nightmarish, but no need to spec against it. That's all the standard elite CC effects, which means you're covered without needing SS. Major exception: Act bosses/minibosses. Especially Izual (you can't dodge his freeze) and Belial (one mistake on the floor and you're toast). Don't put these in your standard MF run, beat them once and go back to easier stuff.
    4. Once your gear gets good, Reflects Damage surprises become a huge concern. Blues normally aren't a problem, but yellows have minions that don't glow; one volley takes you to 70% life, you hit Gloom on reflex but you're only at 12 discipline, you fire before the "no discipline" message processes in your brain, taking you down to 40%, you then Gloom and fire a new volley, but Gloom doesn't take effect until about 1/4 of a second after activation so you go down to 10%, then a little Fallen smacks you dead. Make sure your EHP is at least three times your DPS, more than four times is probably overkill. More likely than not you will die this way; fear it.
    5. Don't do the standard Alkaizer run. After dozens of runs in Keep 2, eventually a Fallen Maniac will sneak up and kill you. Run Battlements and/or Stonefort instead. Keep 1 doesn't have Maniacs and is still okay if you like running it.

IncGamers Member

Build Review!

First off, my DH: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/S...1/hero/3387881

My normal build:
    Evasive Fire / Covering Fire
    Elemental Arrow / Ball Lightning
    Shadow Power / Gloom
    Vault / ToC (switched now to tumble)
    Spike Trap / Scatter
    Preparation / Battle Scars

So after reading the guide and getting interested, I decided to give it a whirl. I bought a Xeph with 8% crit and disc, and a dead eye with hatred/disc/8% multi crit. This put me at 50% crit for multishot. Which is enough, but not really ideal. I tried to buy a stone of jordan but they were going for 20m+, I guess this guide had some impact on the AH already
    I normally don't do alk runs. I tend to either do key runs or play through an act until I run out of time. Following the same narrow path because it's slightly more efficient burns me out pretty fast. I understand this build is designed to do alk runs really fast... but that's not what I'm going to talk about in the review.

The good:
    * Having more disc makes for a nice quality of life. Frankly, with 46 disc I think I only used prep once or twice in two act 3 runs. I could have swapped it out and probably not missed it.
    * Multishot is a fun skill and the build was fun to play. Took a little bit to get used to vault on left click.
    * You can really motor along in outside zones or areas with big open spaces.
    * The gear for the build can be cheaper than other builds because you actually try to avoid IAS.
    * Vengeance was a great passive. Never thought I'd say that.
    * I learned that tumble is a way better rune than ToC for farming builds.

The Bad:
    * Waller packs. Can spend half your hatred before you realize you are not hitting anything.
    * Shielding packs. Often left with 2 dead elites and one full health elite, and not much hatred.
    * Anything that spawns in slowly, teleports, ducks underground. Since every shot counts, you hate that crap.
    * Mobs that split up and get outside the narrow cone in melee range.
    * Not good for multi play.
    * Not good for harder content, yet demands specialized gear. Will force you to maintain two gear sets, or at least 1.5 gear sets.
    * Requires you make make some fairly significant gear compromises that would let an alternative build get much higher dps for the same gold. Dedicating so many affixes to hatred, disc, and pickup radius can't help but leave you with lower damage.

I did two Act 3 MP0 runs, first with Multishot and second with my normal build. This is after doing a practice act run to get used to the new skills and get comfortable with the build. All sub dungeons were completed and maps mostly cleared. I loot yellows, blues rot. I tend to open all chests and click on dead villagers/soldiers. Luckily, all the same dungeons spawned except for 2 extra on my normal build run (battlefield stores and underbridge). Still, random is random. Also in the multishot run a buddy was chatting with me too... might remove 5 minutes there.

Multishot
    Ghom Dead: 40 minutes
    Siegebreaker Dead: 1:20
    Azmodan Dead: 2:02

My normal build
    Ghom Dead: 35 minutes
    Siegebreaker Dead: 1:25 (got stores and underbridge which is why it took longer)
    Azmodan Dead: 1:58

Observations between the two builds
    * Multishot and Ball Lightning pretty much serve the same purpose, but multishot doesnt always outshine lightning. Lightning tended to be the better all around aoe because it will hit things behind you or beside you, and its travel time lets mobs run into it (scorpions in the crater for example). Multishot not having a projectile is extremely nice... but

* Evasive Fire / Covering fire is a pretty underrated skill, and this reinforced it to me. Covering fire is essentially multishot for up to 3 mobs (135% vs 165% damage though). On MP0 with my normal build I'm at 97k damage and quite frequently will 1 shot mobs will covering fire. Same basic impact, kill speed wise, as multishot whenever theres less than 4 enemies.

* Turret is nice, but for lower MP spiked traps / scatter is a far better pack killer. Another underrated skill imo. 275%x3 in a small AoE can wreck packs on MP0 much faster on average than turret/multishot did for me. I think turret is a better skill for higher MP, but the burst of scatter traps is tough to beat, and with some practice you nearly always hit even a single mob with at least 2 traps.

* 50% effective crit isn't high enough to really make multishot shine. Even if you have 10 mobs in the cone, math says at least 1 of the 10 will require a 3rd shot. Practical experience bears this out also. I tried to buy some 10% gloves, but the pair I tried to snipe went over 6m... I'd say 70% effective crit rate seems to be baseline if you want to dedicate to this build.

In closing, I'd like to say thanks dethklok for coming up with a way to make some passives and skills I hadn't really tried before into a viable and effective build. It was fun. The main reason even though I liked it I'm staying with my normal build is that the normal build clears acts just as fast but is far more flexible in teams and in higher MP. Since my DH isn't even my main, I don't really want to maintain/fund two sets of gear for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Death_StrikeR View Post
    My Cluster Arrow-Dazzling Arrow is basically to stunlock elites and keeping them in place. So i can freely bolashot or occasional MS them (disc regen) without too much pressure in defending...

Overall,
    MS is a fun and viable skill for a DH in lower MP levels,
    So whenever i managed to have a DH party member using it in Pub games,
    I smile..... coz he also knows what a great skill it is.

Kudos for Deathklok for pointing that out to many.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diab View Post
    Thank you for your input.

Actually, I never said that I needed a hatred generator. I meant that I prefer to use an active skill in order to generate extra hatred when needed, over the passive Bat Companion that your build uses....

That said, I do not farm at all, so maybe the "speedfarm" aspect of your build requires the passive rather than the active skill.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaanus View Post
    I understand this build is designed to do alk runs really fast... but that's not what I'm going to talk about in the review...

Multishot
    Ghom Dead: 40 minutes
    Siegebreaker Dead: 1:20
    Azmodan Dead: 2:02

In closing, I'd like to say thanks dethklok for coming up with a way to make some passives and skills I hadn't really tried before into a viable and effective build. It was fun.
    I'm glad you all enjoy using the masterwork katana I forged to scrape your name into cement and trim your nosehairs.

Spike, where are you? Hanging out with Johnny is killing me.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dethklok View Post
    Spike, where are you? Hanging out with Johnny is killing me.
    Sorry, but your build is really only Spike for one task. Otherwise, it's pretty much a Johnny build.

BattleTag kestegs-1550
    Just wanted to thank you again for the guide, absolutely love this build!

I started playing it 2 weeks ago with my DH that was paragon 3. Now I'm level 64! I haven't tested my exp/hour lately but at times it's been over 65mil/hour.

Have you tried using fan of knives? I've been running it in place of sentry the last couple of days and really love it. Using the 20 yard radius rune. It allows for more aggressive vaulting and can 1 shot almost anything if you are running proper DPS for the MP level you're on. The biggest downside is that you wool one shot yourself on reflects packs without gloom, so you have to be careful.

I just don't find that sentry is that necessary when you're using an SoJ as you already take elites down so quick.

Also I'd take any gear suggestions (link below) not sure if it's updated, but I changed to a 4% cc/ 175ish dex nat's helm.

Didn't even consider Fan of Knives,the cooldown made me mentally ignore it, pretty big oversight on my part, since colldown is fine for secondary attack on this build. I'll test it tonight.

Congrats on level 64. I might play smart, but I don't play hard... I rarely play more than 2 hours per day, often only 30-40 minutes, so we're at about the same plvl.

IncGamers Member

i tested manti vs rare xbow vs calamity

manti(1100dps 2os 80CD) 10 million
    rare xbow(1400dps 1os) 10 million
    calamity(1200dps 1os 80CD) 135 million

the rare xbow was better than the manticore. crits are about the same but my white hits are much bigger
    i 1 shot some monsterts with a noncrit
    calamity+dml was the fastest(1 min faster Alk run compared to the rare xbow) but costs more than 10 times more

so if you can't afford a high end manticore the rare xbow is the better choise imo