Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Thread: Storyline flaw?

IncGamers Member

Storyline flaw?

Hello everyone.

My name is Kezumi, and I am a huge Diablo fan.

Although I love the lore and setting, I really hate storyline flaws.
    Unfortunately enough, I think I might have found one.

PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG:

The flaw is as follows:

The 7 great evils were created when Anu destroyed Tathamet.
    Tathamet's heads became the 7 great evils.
    His three more prominent heads became the prime evils, and the 4 other heads became the lesser.
    Now, of the lesser evils we have Asmodan, Belial, Duriel, and Andariel.
    Lord of sin, Lord of lies, Prince of pain, and Maiden of anguish.

Now for the flaw: Duriel and Andariel could in no way be directly created of the heads of Tathamet, as they are the grandchildren of Mephisto.
    Could that be why they are called "Prince" and "Maiden" rather then "Lord" and ... (whatever the title is for a female greater evil, for the concubine of Asmodan is also "Maiden" of lust, and she is a prime nor a lesser evil).

So if Duriel and Andariel are not the evils created by the destruction of Tathamet, who are?
    Maybe something for in a next game?

I really hope this will be settled, and I hope even more that this will be the biggest and only real flaw in the storyline.

Thank you for reading!

cheers

IncGamers Member

Re: Storyline flaw?

Interesting... but after seeing the train wreck of a story for D3 not surprising to see them confuse their own origin story.

IncGamers Member

I assume you're getting the grandchildren of Mephisto thing from Arreat Summit saying Andariel is Lilith's daughter: that was for the Uber event, it's not canon. It was just an excuse call Uber-Andariel Lilith and tie it to the Sin War novels.

Where is Duriel called Prince Of Pain? I've seen him called Lord Of Pain. And Maiden is used as the feminine equivalent of Lord. Lady Of Anguish doesn't really sound right, does it?

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mage Slayer View Post
    I assume you're getting the grandchildren of Mephisto thing from Arreat Summit saying Andariel is Lilith's daughter: that was for the Uber event, it's not canon. It was just an excuse call Uber-Andariel Lilith and tie it to the Sin War novels.

Where is Duriel called Prince Of Pain? I've seen him called Lord Of Pain. And Maiden is used as the feminine equivalent of Lord. Lady Of Anguish doesn't really sound right, does it?
    In Diablo II the ultimate strategy guides calls duriel "the prince of pain", and yes lady of anguish is a little bit weird, but whats weirder is that the maiden of lust carries the same title as a greater evil ^^

Swiss cheese story much... Too bad, I love the games!

BattleTag nurman-2854

There is always a possibility of mistyping maiden for lady or lord for prince. Also, which ultimate strategy guide you refer to?

Also, because Maiden of Lust carries the word maiden does not make her a greater evil in comparison to Andariel.

ALSO, as said by mage slayer, Lilith being Andariel's mother is not canon.