Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Re: Hellfire Ring Progress/Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Helx View Post

(...) When I first approach any elite, I use Blinding Light on them and try my best to wound one or more significantly while they're still seeing stars. A little bit later when I'm hurting, I hit them with Breath of Heaven/Penitent Flame which makes them run away for 1.5 seconds and that gives me time to heal or retreat, etc. A little bit later, I use Serenity/Ascension. I try to space these out a few seconds apart so that by the time I've used Serenity/Ascension my Blinding Light is almost recharged again. And of course I use a potion when I need to. One other thing I used for the ubers was Near Death Experience (I normally use Fleet Footed) which probably saved me a time or two. Also, Seize the Initiative really helps a lot with damage reduction IMO.

My resistances are kinda low at 258 each, but as long as I don't stand in fire chains, molten or plague pools, or play too much in the Arcane Sentries it usually works out fine.
    @Helx (You didn't ask anything, but... ): Very nice monk, man! Maybe I'm wrong, but it looks like you can go without OWE, right? I mean, you're stacking fire res and there's another item that gives you physical res (aka resists that matter - both will be around 250, if I'm not mistaken). You could use the extra mov. speed passive. Judging by your post, maybe the extra speed will be more helpful (while retreating/spacing out/avoiding AS) than the extra poison/cold/arcane res (lightning is a maybe).

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Helix-1260

Quote Originally Posted by BaronScarpia View Post
    @Helx (You didn't ask anything, but... ): Very nice monk, man! Maybe I'm wrong, but it looks like you can go without OWE, right? I mean, you're stacking fire res and there's another item that gives you physical res (aka resists that matter - both will be around 250, if I'm not mistaken). You could use the extra mov. speed passive. Judging by your post, maybe the extra speed will be more helpful (while retreating/spacing out/avoiding AS) than the extra poison/cold/arcane res (lightning is a maybe).
    Thanks, Baron, that was actually some great advice! I normally use Fleet Footed along with some +11% speed boots with MF when farming for legendaries/sets (I run at max MF with ~27K DPS usually) but thought I'd try to hit as hard as possible when trying out the ubers for the first time. I'll try some experimenting without OWE after work today and see what can be done, and agree that a bit more speed would be great for dancing around the bad stuff. BTW, I didn't get an organ drop in my only uber attempt so far, but after I get some more keys I'll be coming for them LOL.

BattleTag Hrus-1210

I am trying for the hellfire ring now, but it gows slowly with my selffound gear on MP2 (which seems like a limit right now).
    But I got lucky and got an organ from my first Uber duo Maghda/Skeletong King. On my second try, I harvested 3 sets of keys and opened all portals and got an organ from Ghom. So only 1 organ left!
    The Maghda/Skeleton King fight seems the easiest (Their minions cough up health orbs quite often). The Kulle/Siegebreaker fight is toughest for me (Reflect Damage and Kulle's slowing spheres)

Here is my barb, I am considering some changes, and I got some crappy items right now (Helm, Bracers) which I hope will get better soon(ish). http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/H.../hero/10920923

@Helx: Seems like you are using lot of MF right now, maybe strip some items to get yourself better defense against ubers and for high MP... For example get Ruby into your helm instead of topaz for Ubers...
    BTW SoJs 21% damage agianst elites works against Ubers too?

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag grogs-1154

Quote Originally Posted by Hrus View Post
    BTW SoJs 21% damage agianst elites works against Ubers too?
    Yes it does.

BattleTag mordell-1747

Quote Originally Posted by Hrus View Post
    get yourself better defense against ubers and for high MP... For example get Ruby into your helm instead of topaz for Ubers...
    I think you meant amethyst.

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Helix-1260

Okay, just got through fighting Kulle/Seigebreaker on MP3 and got my first organ!

Results so far with my monk:
    1. Maghda/SK (MP2): died once, no organ
    2. Kulle/Siegebreaker (MP2): died about 10 times (ugh they're tough), no organ
    3. Kulle/Siegebreaker (MP3): died twice, got Vengeful Eye Took about 20 minutes.

@Hrus: sadly enough I'm using my best gear that provides the most DPS. Right now I can do 44K tops (38K if using SoJ which makes it marginally worth the DPS loss with +21% to elites). I probably should've popped an amethyst in the helm, but I'm lazy that way LOL. Anyway, with my Won Khim Lau fist I get an additional 25% lightning damage to skills which according to some calculations I read on Blizzard's monk site makes the damage from my skills ~7X more than DPS is showing. Not sure if that's accurate, but when I found the WKL fist it was definitely a game changer!

IncGamers Member

my barb is at pl17. being doing key run at mp4, but not very sucessful in getting keys at act 2 or 3. any advice to have a more efficiency run?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

BattleTag mordell-1747

Link to your profile so we can see your items/skills. If you use different skills for running keys than you do for general purposes, link us to the skill calc with those skills in it.

My barbarian http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/m...7/hero/4802397 runs for keys on MP3 pretty comfortably.

@Helx: Are you playing solo only, or would you like to do some organ runs with me? I've done a few runs on MP4 with two others, but I died quite a bit (3 times on a bad run), so I think MP3 is a better fit for me.

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Helix-1260

Quote Originally Posted by SnickerSnack View Post
    Link to your profile so we can see your items/skills. If you use different skills for running keys than you do for general purposes, link us to the skill calc with those skills in it.

My barbarian http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/m...7/hero/4802397 runs for keys on MP3 pretty comfortably.

@Helx: Are you playing solo only, or would you like to do some organ runs with me? I've done a few runs on MP4 with two others, but I died quite a bit (3 times on a bad run), so I think MP3 is a better fit for me.
    I've been doing organ runs solo, but only because the friends I play with have weaker characters than me and get one-shotted even on MP1 and I can't carry them very well. To be honest, not sure how well I'd do on MP3 multiplayer vs. the ubers, but organ running with someone else sounds like fun if you'd like and if I can survive. I also need to gather up some more keys so I don't show up empty handed. I'm on USA server BTW.
    Last edited by Helx; 27-12-2012 at 03:56.

BattleTag mordell-1747

Helx and I (and his son playing a DH) did 3 portals on MP3 and got 4* organs total (two* for him and two* for his son, none for me). The fights went okay, and here's a summary:

- We had a HotA barb, a standard SW monk, and the DH had a build I didn't recognize, though I don't play my DH much. Our unbuffed DPSs were all between 45k and 65k.

- Our first portal was Kulle/SiegeBreaker. As I recall, I died once on this one, but we cleaned it up okay. We had gone in without a plan. Edit: I tried to focus on Kulle, but his teleport was a pain partly since my boots didn't have run speed, and he would often stand behind the Siegebreaker. Also, I would highly recommend fighting the SB on a lower difficulty** just to watch his animations so you can see when he's going to do his grab attack.

- Our second portal was Ghom/Rakanoth, and this one was a bit of trouble. Our plan was for Helx to tank Ghom while the DH and I took down Rakanoth. The idea was that Rakanoth would go down faster due to having fewer hitpoints, and that the Monk was a better tank to distract Ghom. This did not go well. I died a few times and so did the DH. Helx ressed us a few times, but we kept dying after that, and at one point we were all dead, so we reentered. The new plan was to all focus on Rakanoth, but that didn't work either. I think it was this try that had me running around with <10% health trying to res the others. The third time, our plan was for me to tank Ghom and for the Monk and DH to take out Rakanoth. This worked quite well. My character is a bit of a glass cannon and relies on leech and LoH to survive. It was much easier to tank Ghom's gas cloud (damage over time) than Rakanoth's attacks (burst damage). I took out Ghom pretty quickly, but then died almost immediately upon engaging Rakanoth (edit: I was at ~50% health with my health pots on cooldown; the only way to heal was through LL and LoH.). The DH had been hanging back and adding to dps and some stunning (iirc), while trying to stay out of harm's way. At this point, either he was already dead, or he died shortly after I did. So, now we have Helx, whose monk is not really a dps character, but more of a tank, fighting Rakanoth solo (and all of the minions that spawn). He kept trying to lure the mobs to the corner opposite my corpse so he could run over and res me, but the minions move pretty fast. He was off-screen for ~30 seconds at a time and all I could do was watch his health bar. He eventually was able to res me and then the DH, and we finished off Rak from ~40% health very quickly.

- The last portal was, of course, the Skeleton King and Maghda. This fight went fine, and we were able to kill them on the first try. Our original plan was for Helx to take the SK and for me and the DH to take Maghda. This went fine until I discovered that apparently the SK counts as one of Maghda's minions, so she stays shielded until the SK is down. That's some bull**** if you ask me. Anyway, we switched gears and all focused on the SK and once he was down the rest was easy.

So, we had a lot of fun, and got a couple of organs out of it. I got a key when we hit the warden while resetting our NV timers. Helx wants to try MP4 next, so we'll see how that goes.

Also, I should say that Ground Stomp was a huge help. Any uber I was fighting was stunned around 25% of the time, which is a big deal.

* correction

** Just to be clear, I mean go fight the SB on normal difficulty, not that you should spend machines running ubers on MP0/1.
    Last edited by SnickerSnack; 31-12-2012 at 00:05.