Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Helix-1260

Re: Hellfire Ring Progress/Discussion Thread

^^ Great summary. It went better at MP3 than I was expecting (was worried about "Diablo's minions grow stronger" when other players were joined but it actually worked out better for resurrections, stuns, etc.).

Thanks for the games, SnickerSnack, it was a blast! I think between the three of us, one of us will have a shiny new ring in the next couple of days.

IncGamers Member

awesome breakdown, im gonna use some of that to help me in my quest for the ring. looks like i have a long way to go to take them at mp3 but i almost have my 3rd machine. how long did it take time-wise?

BattleTag mordell-1747

Quote Originally Posted by PearlJamaholic View Post
    awesome breakdown, im gonna use some of that to help me in my quest for the ring. looks like i have a long way to go to take them at mp3 but i almost have my 3rd machine. how long did it take time-wise?
    The successful runs never really took very long. It was only the botched runs that ran into danger of hitting the enrage timer. I think one of the failed runs that went marginally okay took 8 minutes before we were all dead. I think our best run was probably around 4-5 minutes.

Part of the problem was that I spent a bit of time running around trying to get good placement (or running for my life with a sliver of health) rather than dpsing. If I had better damage mitigation, I think the runs would have been faster. This is part of the reason the Kulle/SB fight was so tough. Unless you can tank really well, you have to run around a lot. OTOH, if I had better damage mitigation, we'd probably have done the runs on MP4/5, and I'd have the same problems. I think if you can straight up tank all the damage and kill them in under 5 minutes, then you need to run at a higher mp level.

Edit: My keys are at 3/3/0 with 3 machines.

Act 3 key runs are my least favorite. Not too sure why, maybe I have worse drop luck there and end up doing more runs which leads to getting bored with the area. It might be because I have to wade through more white mobs. I had Act 1 keys let over, and I farmed 4 act 2 keys in a couple of days, which was maybe 10 or fewer runs. Now I'm back to farming act 3. I decided to try MP4 and it was a bit slower and less mindless. It was kind of frustrating actually because I'd grown so accustomed to flying through my key runs and this one took more time and I died several times, around 4 I think.

I've also used my video card to tweak the color. I have saturation and brightness turned down 30% and contrast up 40%.
    Last edited by SnickerSnack; 31-12-2012 at 06:44.

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Helix-1260

Well, I finally gathered enough keys to have 3 machines ready to go. Seriously, I ran Act I Sunday probably 20 times from MP3 to MP5 for keys but never got one, but my first run Monday gave me a key, and then I gathered the rest throughout the day.

@SnickerSnack: Act III runs are my least favorite too, other than Act IV to get the plans - yech I hated that and it was hard to get 5 stacks. Favorite is Act II because I get my stacks from VOTA which is my favorite place to farm anyway.

Hoping to get some more multiplayer organ runs Tuesday... been gradually improving my monk's gear while key farming and I'm pretty sure he can handle multiplayer ubers at MP4 now.

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Helix-1260

Just a little update FWIW. Gathered enough keys for a fourth infernal machine and this evening took on Ghom/Rakanoth on MP3 with my monk (doing ~51K DPS) and a DH (doing ~65K DPS) and got our rear ends handed to us more times than I want to admit. I had to leave after several tries though the DH stayed in the game and took his templar follower and got both Ghom and Rak down to about half life pretty quickly before he was killed. Anyway, we had to give it up and the portal went to waste... ugh. I thought that it would be easier in some ways with only 2 of us than 3 in the game, but it seemed like the baddies had as many hit points as they would with 3 in game.

After this epic fail I'll either go solo or hopefully SnickerSnack will join us again.

BattleTag mordell-1747

Quote Originally Posted by Helx View Post
    After this epic fail I'll either go solo or hopefully SnickerSnack will join us again.
    Since I've been off work for a bit over a week now, I'm pretty much nocturnal and my days run together, so I'm not sure if I was on much Tuesday. I may be on later today, and if I am, I'm more than a bit interested in more uber runs.

I did some key runs over the weekend, and now I have 6 machines. I also found a great pair of gloves, and now my dps is up to 75k. That should make ubers a bit easier. I'll also tank better due to getting more life leech.

I also like the Dalhgur Oasis a lot. Though my favorite area in the game is the Desolate Sands.

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Helix-1260

Well, it was longer than a few days. I'd been lacking the organ from SK/Magdha for a few weeks and have multiples of the other two. Anyway, I had three machines tonight and SK/Magdha showed up behind my 3rd portal, of course. Got in a solo game at MP3.

SnickerSnack, you were right... this first one sort of sucked LOL! Dropped my DPS by ~4,400 before the emerald in the socket and I'm not sure if I've seen it shoot a ball of fire yet.

Oh well, glad to finally have one heheh.

MyHellfireRing.jpg

BattleTag mordell-1747

All the more reason to get another. I haven't been on much recently. My keyboard went and got some beer spilled on it, so I've been using a back up that has some issues. I'm going to go get a new one in a few minutes. I'll probably be on later, so if you have a few more machines, we can do some more runs.

Were you running on MP3? I did an act 2 key run on MP4, and it wan't too bad. I died a few times, but I did get a key.

edit: Also, that ring isn't too bad. My rings aren't that great, so there's a decent chance I'll be able to upgrade with a hellfire ring.

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Helix-1260

Bummer about the keyboard... washable should help that LOL. I've been doing most of my solo key runs on MP4 and occasionally MP5, but I've only been as high as MP3 for ubers both solo and multiplayer. I could handle the ubers at MP4 solo with no problem except for maybe SB/Kulle which takes a while (once on MP3 solo it took me so long I started taking damage without anything hitting me till I died--is that the enrage timer?). I'll try to scrounge up a machine or two when I get home from work--I'm all out now! Glocephus is going out with his GF tonight so he won't be on tonight. One other thing. Recently in a post I said I didn't think LS was all that important for my monk, at least. Boy, I was wrong. I have 3.00 LS on my WKL fist and just yesterday re-equipped my monk with some recent finds and took him from 51K to 71K DPS without the WKL fist, and my monk doesn't survive much anything even if I bump LoH up to ~1K. So I'm basically stuck for now at 51K DPS. Sorry for the solid wall of text, my stupid work PC doesn't let me make new paragraphs in a post.

BattleTag mordell-1747

Quote Originally Posted by Helx View Post
    once on MP3 solo it took me so long I started taking damage without anything hitting me till I died--is that the enrage timer?
    Yup. The enrage timer is either 8 or 10 minutes.

I also don't mind just using my own machines. Iirc, you spent 2 last time when I spent 1, so I owe you a bit anyway.