Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    BattleTag mordell-1747

Hellfire Ring Progress/Discussion Thread

SincereX13 and I have been talking about key running in the IFT recently, and I think a dedicated hellfire ring thread is appropriate.

I have been doing key runs for a few days, and after around 25-30 runs, I am at 6/6/0 keys, using my self declared destruction/hate/terror format, which follows act1/act2/act3. (Odd to me since D2 went terror/hate/destruction....)

I have been running on MP3 to get a decent drop chance while maintaining a decent speed. I did a few Act 1 key runs at MP1 and one run at MP4, and I think for my character MP3 is the best fit. Most elite packs go down in under 15 seconds (the length of Wrath of the Berserker). Though, I have made some upgrades since, so maybe I should retry MP4.

I plan on getting 6 Act 3 keys (bringing me to 6/6/6) and then considering doing organ runs. But, before organ runs, I plan on doing boss runs with some kind of handicap to prepare me for the uber pairs. Any ideas on what handicap might be helpful? Edit: Here is my barbarian for those who'd like to recommend a handicap: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/m...7/hero/4802397
    Last edited by SnickerSnack; 04-11-2012 at 06:06.

BattleTag Joosh-6939

Hellfire Ring Progress/Discussion Thread

Sounds good! Since coming back and playing completely self found I've managed to find 2 a1 keys and 2 a3 keys.

Mind you, all these runs have been done at mp0 for efficiency as trying to build some strength on the character to handle higher mp levels.

Totally interested to follow this one and see how your handicap compares to the fight snickersnack, I myself have considered blowing a set of keys just to try out the ubers on mp0 and see how even that goes.

IncGamers Member

Re: Hellfire Ring Progress/Discussion Thread

Right now the last part of each MF run ends with a Keywarden. I am only running on MP1 but get in enough Key Warden kills that I get me some keys.

Currently I am at 7/8/2 for keys and have done 2 runs of the Act 4 Key Warden with no luck.

I don't know how many keys I want to get to before I start actually doing the bosses, but my hesitation right now is that I want to be able to do them on a higher MP so that my efforts in finding the keys are "less" wasted by empty boss runs.

I think really my goal is going to be to wait until I find a weapon upgrade and then I'll really focus on doing some boss runs. At the rate I have been seeing uniques it is only a matter of time before I find a weapon upgrade.

This is my Barb that is doing the runs: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/C.../hero/15248132

After getting 10 chars to lvl 60, beat the game with every class, etc., I'm starting to do mf runs and stuff. I plan to do MF with my WD and key runs with my barbarian:

Archon WW Barb: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/B...45/hero/948780 (and no, the build isn't efficient)
    WD: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/B...45/hero/954277

I think if I cut some crit, wear a couple weapons instead of "cheap-skorn-looks-cool" I can get closer to snicker snack barb. I've been doing... nothing, except beating the game and levelling alternates since 1.0.5. came out. I don't even bothered to test how high MP I can tank. Act 3 MP0 with WD is easy, so easy that I ditched some DPS to wear my 100k lacuni prowlers for movement speed. I'm not getting killed even by vortex/mortar/teleport/old-mc-donald-had-a-farm elite packs.

I'm sure of one thing. MP0 is terrible for keys. I killed the act 4 almost ten times on mp 0 and no sign of the plan. I don't remember how many times I killed the act 3 guy with WD (as long as gargatuan survives, he is easy with WD, since he doesn't hit me). Considering I need a couple hellfire rings (one for WD, for extra XP and firebomb action and one for barbarian, to give a chance to my WW build to work).

------------------ important part of the post below ------------------

Tl, Dr, but I hadn't said yet: I believe each class is better agains specific wardens. If the same is true for the ubers, maybe there's a reason to MP after all (A high DPS DH can outperform a barb against Uber X on high MP).

My plan: After athe act 4 warden spit the plan on MP0-2 for my WD, we should form teams or something. E.g. The key warden on act 3 can't kill my zombie dogs on MP0, that means gargatuan-ish can survive on MP1-2 (by my calculations) agains warden and I can kite-shenanigan him on MP 3-4 (yes, the warden seems to only throw corpses on whatever is attacking him on melee range). If that's true, I can get some act 3 keys in no time.

Maybe we have a reason to SPF-MP after all...

Note: Today, in Brazil (and every sunday during daylight savings, I think) "we" have a combo of the voice + soccer + pizza night with family + local HBO series + Boardwalk empire. I highly doubt I can test anything today, but I will follow the thread and would like to know the "breakpoints/gearchecks/builds". And I really would like to discuss the teamwork thing...

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by SnickerSnack View Post
    I plan on doing boss runs with some kind of handicap to prepare me for the uber pairs. Any ideas on what handicap might be helpful? Edit: Here is my barbarian for those who'd like to recommend a handicap: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/m...7/hero/4802397
    I suggest a handicap of 2 MP levels. So if you can safely do ZK, for example, on MP7, then do ubers on MP5.

ZK/Siegebreaker is by far the hardest of the three realms, mostly because of ZK's slow time bubbles and tornadoes. (And because he enrages and one-shots you after 10 minutes)

BattleTag mordell-1747

I'm glad to see this got some response.

Quote Originally Posted by BaronScarpia View Post
    I think if I cut some crit, wear a couple weapons instead of "cheap-skorn-looks-cool" I can get closer to snicker snack barb.
    Skorn would probably be a better weapon for this build. A good 2 hander works very well with HotA. I'm just using the weapons that give me the most dps from what I've found myself and can get very cheaply on the AH.

Quote Originally Posted by BaronScarpia View Post
    My plan: After athe act 4 warden spit the plan on MP0-2 for my WD, we should form teams or something. ... And I really would like to discuss the teamwork thing...
    I'm definitely going to want to fight the uber pairs in a group. Main reason: infernal machines give 3/4 times as many chances at an organ since each person on the run can contribute a machine.

Quote Originally Posted by magicrectangle View Post
    I suggest a handicap of 2 MP levels. So if you can safely do ZK, for example, on MP7, then do ubers on MP5.

ZK/Siegebreaker is by far the hardest of the three realms, mostly because of ZK's slow time bubbles and tornadoes. (And because he enrages and one-shots you after 10 minutes)
    Thanks, I'll try that. I'm 99.9% sure my barb can't handle much of anything on MP7, so I'll see if he can do ZK on MP5 or 6.

Aren't the ubers supposed to be roughly as difficult as Inferno Diablo? That was the most difficult boss fight in the game from experience too.

BattleTag mordell-1747

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy II View Post
    Aren't the ubers supposed to be roughly as difficult as Inferno Diablo? That was the most difficult boss fight in the game from experience too.
    I seem to remember reading that, yes. I guess I should use that as part of my prep for the ubers. OTOH, I don't know how that comparison was arrived at, and difficulty is not a single thing.

BattleTag kestegs-1550
    I've heard that too, but Diablo is much easier for some classes.

I've never actually solo'd ubers, but I wouldn't want to either, except to say I could. Is bad efficiency-wise and too easy to make a mistake and die and there's nobody to resurrect you.

I'm happy to help anyone on America that wants it, but I will admit that you will feel like you are getting rushed as I keep them frozen for almost the entire fight.

Quote Originally Posted by kestegs View Post
    I've heard that too, but Diablo is much easier for some classes.

I've never actually solo'd ubers, but I wouldn't want to either, except to say I could. Is bad efficiency-wise and too easy to make a mistake and die and there's nobody to resurrect you.

I'm happy to help anyone on America that wants it, but I will admit that you will feel like you are getting rushed as I keep them frozen for almost the entire fight.
    I.e.: I throw some gear on my DH. He can't walk alone on act 4, not even MP 0 (to, let's say, kill 100k demons...). However, Diablo fight is a joke - Bola Shot/ Thunder rune = win. My experience with DH against diablo: you almost perma-stun him and the clone. The fight is so easy that you stop paying attention, then you die for a bone prison... And you have to start over. Even if you can solo ubers, it's nice to have a tank barbarian w/ ignore pain or WD with spirit vessel/haunt/spirit walk - someone that can survive time enough to ressurect you...

Also, with a team, you can split the key running (ranged guy kills act 3 warden, melee guy kills act 2 warden, etc.).

@SnickerSnack: Agreed, but my Skorn doesn't have LL - or lot's of strenght. I don't remember for how much I can get a skorn with LL (16mi, iirc). I also need a decent fatter emerald.... Oh, and of course, a build. That means I don't plan to do ubers this month, since I just need to do some gear changes on my barb - I don't know exactly what I gonna do, but I know I need vit, str, ll and that will somehow cost at least 50-60mi gold (IK armor + Skorn, maybe?), considering I'm forgetting to get another emerald. (Unless my pets can do something on MP 4+, then I need a Emerald.)

Edit on WD matters: My WD, with his Mf-ish/XP-ish/non-sense gear, can kill Xah on MP3 (and on Flac too! lol? no. ok.) no Spirit Vessel or NDEs.

If gargatuan is alive and you're placed on a decent spot, Xah and his colossal AI plain ignores the WD. I'm not exactly the paragon of the pet builds, but Xah killed my first gargatuan when it was at 50% life, I just needed to recast and let the firebombs search for him outside the screen.

Actually, it's way harder to get the 5 stacks (it takes sooo long to kill stuff...). If I turn the WD into a key runner (remove MF, l2p and loh for fierce loyalty instead of spirit vessel), maybe he can do it on MP 5. I need to check on WD forums too see what people are doing to keep pets alive on mp5 and above and kill stuff without dying from boredom.

I don't have the foggiest idea of how to make a pet survive against Ubers so, without a team, I'm pretty sure a WD can't do much against some (if not all) ubers without godly gear on medium MP settings. In that case, I'll just stick with the I-like-barbarians plan and get a few pieces of alternate gear for WD to farm keys from act 3 warden.
    Last edited by BaronScarpia; 05-11-2012 at 18:12.