Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Tempest Rush build, think it's possible?

I've been playing with the thought of creating a tempest rusher for farming the last few days. Basically, it's supposed to be able to run through normal mobs and (almost) instantly kill them and it should have enough spirit regen to only have to stop for killing elites. With any kind of monster power you would need insane gear, but it might be possible with good gear in act 3 MP0.

Today I tried this with a couple of different skill setups. I am able to get enough spirit regen to never have to stop, and survivability hasn't been a problem. The problem is to just get "enough" spirit regen and survivability to max dmg in the end.

Tempest Rush costs 10 spirit while channeling, which apparently is more than 10/sec

From gear you can get 2.5 from helm and 2.5 from each weapon

Passive skills gives you a total of 3 spirit regen when using both Exalted Soul and Chant of Resonance.

Sweeping wind with inner storm gives 3 regen

Mantra of healing can give you 3 regen

You seem to need somewhere around 8-10 spirit regen in the end to be effective.

I'm trying to go for 2.4 spirit regen from a helm, 3 from sweeping wind and 3 from passives so 8.4 in total. It will mean I have to stand still and regen while killing some elites once in a while, but I should be able to get out more dmg. I'm skipping OWE and Seize because they're not really needed for me on MP0. Im keeping transcendence to always stay on full life.

I do not seem to need my LoH weapon in any way either, so trying to choose a weapon only based on dog. Thinking about buying a Skorn, but it's a little bit expensive for just playing around. Someone who's using a big *** 2-hander who could give me a clue of about how well it could work with a somewhat good Skorn?

With the weapons and helm Im trying out atm I can reach 75k DPS and it feels like it should work with about 125k DPS. With a good 2-hander, 125k DPS isn't that hard to reach right? Anyone got any tips on how to get this to work? It should be awesome for farming

This is my character. It's quite fluctuating atm while Im trying out stuff
    http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/F...72/hero/357121

IncGamers Member GoldenredDragon's Avatar
    BattleTag GoldenDragon-2226

Re: Tempest Rush build, think it's possible?

If you want to make this work, you absolutely MUST use a two-hander, and "THe Guardian's Path" passive. And the Templar with the spirit regen.

In short, with both of those, all your spirit generation (Be it by generators, or by regeneration) is increased by 35% (or 47% with the templar).

That is just HUGE. I use it on my Bell Monk, and it's incredible. With just circular breathing and chant of resonance, I get 7+ spirit regeneration. Add in sweeping wind, and you're above 10 very easily !

So yes, I guess it would work, judging by this guy's video.

G.R.D. (The Guardian's Path with a two-hander.)

From what I understand you use a two-hander as the spirit cost of Tempest Rush is dependant on attack speed. If you want to test a two-hander a Warmonger with CHD and a socket is a lot cheaper than a Skorn with leech. Presumably you could get away with a Skorn with no leech if you're only doing Act 3 MP0.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy II View Post
    Tempest Rush is dependant on attack speed.
    I had no idea. So if you REALLY wanted a tempest rush only build you would want no attack speed on your gear at all?

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzarino View Post
    I had no idea. So if you REALLY wanted a tempest rush only build you would want no attack speed on your gear at all?
    Same here, I've totally missed this! That changes everything, then I understand why I lose my spirit so insanely fast with my 2.03 aps. Also had completely forgotten about the templars passive.
    My gear is strong enough for me to take 2 of the spirit regen passives and still surviving easily (even though I lose 400 AR with OWE) so regen should not be much of a problem with these tips. Do not seem to be needing any LS or LoH either so far, even though it would ofc be helpful I guess.
    Time to find a big 2-hander to try this out with.

Also fun to see this video, there's always someone who's before you with trying these things out

IncGamers Member

Seems like Im starting to get this to work now. It's easy to reach enough spirit regeneration, but you do loose a lot of DPS by not using conviction aura or using Inner Storm on SW (better with Inner Storm imo, less dmg loss).
    Survival is probably troublesome for most people, you need a lot of AR instead of OWE resistance. This only because we're all so used with OWE, if people went just for armor and AR like all other classes this wouldn't be much of a problem. So you may need to change some of your gear because of this.
    DMG is still an issue. You need a big, slow weapon like Skorn for this to have any chance of working. I bought one for 500k with 1300+ DPS and dex which was almost enough. With 1400+ DPS on it I think it would work fine.

Like mentioned before, the spirit cost of tempest is dependent on AS. Because of this, you need a slow weapon (1.0 aps). You will also need to get rid of most of your +AS eq, which is a real pain. Im not likely to stop using my inna's pants.
    I do not really understand this design by blizzard. It means that tempest rush is awesome for a guy using Skorn, but feels quite mediocre for dual wielders. For this build, AS affix on gear is just something negative.
    So anyway, if you like tempest rush as a means of transportation between mobs while farming, I believe a Skorn with LS would be your cup of tea

IncGamers Member

I tried it with skorn (life after kill, cause its cheap) MoH/circ, SW/inner and exalted soul, so a total of 7 spirit/seconds. It felt enough for me,. I could run mp 1 easily (34 AS% on gear) , but tempest rush rubber-banding killed the fun sadly.

You do not get additional spirit regen from the templar. If you give him the inspire skill he simply boosts the amount of spirit you get from your spirit generator, in this case fists of thunder.

Fot generates 6 spirit/attack with the templar it would be 7 spirit/attack depending on how the game rounds up/down decimals.

IncGamers Member

Well the attack speed buff of the sorceress basically does the same (more attacks mean more spirit)... I also think a 2h even with guardian's path gives less spirit (unless you have somehow sick spirit/sec) than 2 1 handers..

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
    You do not get additional spirit regen from the templar. If you give him the inspire skill he simply boosts the amount of spirit you get from your spirit generator, in this case fists of thunder.

Fot generates 6 spirit/attack with the templar it would be 7 spirit/attack depending on how the game rounds up/down decimals.
    I really, really question this. Inspire increases resource generation, which in this case means 12% spirit generation.

I have 13.99 spirit regen. When I dismiss my templar it returns to 12.84. So I don't think you are right.