Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Online community + few beginner questions

Hey everyone. I've just bought Diablo 2 a few days ago (played it at a friend's house and wondered why I never have), and I'm starting to get hooked. After doing a bit of research online, I started to realize that the complexity for this game online is massive - not something I'd expect from a 2000 title. A 100+ hour single player title is mind blowing. I started making a blizzard sorceress, currently level 17 (meh).

I have a few questions/concerns about the game and community.

To start, I ask: is there much of an active online presence any more? This seems like a game that would be so much more fun if played with friends instead of alone. I checked on b.net open, but there was hardly anyone online. Do most people just play ladder/closed, or is the community dying/dead?

I also noticed that there isn't a lot of help for beginners to the game - not so much a hatred of noobs as an assumption of knowledge. I had to spend a while searching for a game/build guide that didn't keep using abbreviations and god-tier weapons that meant nothing to me.

My concern is that, as a new player, even if the community is well and alive, I won't even be able to find people to play with. Plus, in regards to the gear, it seems some classes (blizzard sorc, ex.) are severely handicapped without stat-boosting armor and weapons.

Along with that, I'm pretty oblivious to hardcore mode, hell mode, magic finding, PVP, etc. This is perhaps because I haven't seen any online gameplay for this game.

So, my questions are: Is online still alive? Should I make a ladder/b.net closed character? Will I be able to find others to play with (and how)? How should I get by without having any money/items? And finally, can you give a rundown of general online stuff I should know?

Excuse the long first post. I appreciate the read + help!

Re: Online community + few beginner questions

1. The playerbase has been cut down significantly since d3 was released.
    But there are active players left, and there's even players returning to d2, d3 was a failure for many.

Open Battle.net is for those who likes to play with their singleplayer characters with others. But Ive found that most are edited chars, highly cheated.

You should start new when the next ladder begins, which should be tuesday next week. (If the info is correct there is)

Which realm you choose, is up to you. But Ill play on the European Softcore Ladder (EUSCL)

2. The best way to learn the game is to play it, but if you want a boost in knowledge, me and many others on this forum is more then willing to help!

3. The game can be completed with selffound items, so I wouldnt bother with endgame gear until youve learned more about the game.

4. Id search for the "Arreat Summit" using google. Thats a site with tons of info regarding d2!

And come back here, and Ill try to answer all your questions!!
    Theres just to much to know about this game, so my post would be alot longer then Ive time for today! Ask away!

Peace

IncGamers Member

Thanks for the quick reply!

Starting anew with the ladder seems to be the way to go. I ask- if a new ladder means no old items/money, how do people create classes that require special gear? Or do they have to create multiple ladder characters to start the MFing process over again?

On a similar note, are there any specific builds you might recommend for a noob, who likely won't have the time to put into multiple high-leveled characters? By noob I don't mean "easy", but not requiring elaborate knowledge or connections. Most importantly, I don't want a "learning class" that I'll end up ditching - I have a good enough feel for the core game, just not the specifics. Again I get the feeling a blizz-sorc won't work too well without proper equipment.

Appreciate it once more!

I always create a sorc as a first char (except once, when I tried Paladin..) for mf-ing. (This will be my 7th ladder iirc)

I usually start with Fire as main element, and then "respecc" (quest reward for the first quest in act1) once I hit lvl 30.
    With my skillpoints and stats reset, I can put them they way I want then!
    Now I can pick the skill Frozen Orb, which requires only a few points in synergies to be powerful, giving me the opportunity to get points in the Meteor skill.

Frozen Orb chills all my enemies, and the slow (but powerful) meteor skill will be easy to aim due to that.

Conclusion, 2 elements is the way to go for sorceresses. In Hell difficulty some enemies will have at least 1 immunitiy. So having 2 different damage types is vital.

Heres a few good tips for a beginning sorc! Doesnt matter which skills you use!

1. Dont spread your skills to much! Bet for one element until you reach Nightmare.

2. Always get 1 point in Static Field! The best skill ever vs Act Bosses! (1 point is enough!)

3. Always get 1 point in Warmth (for basic mana regen) and 1 point in a cold armor, Frozen Armor or Shiver Armor.

4. Teleport. 1 point is enough.

5. Get a Act 2 Mercenary!!
    Save every rune you find, and when you have Ral+Tir+Tal+Sol runes, place them in that order in a Non-Magical Polearm(Be sure to check which weapon class it is by reading its stats screen). That will give you this runeword:

Insight
    Polearm, Staff
    Required Level: 27

Ral + Tir + Tal + Sol

Level 12-17 Meditation Aura When Equipped
    +35% Faster Cast Rate
    +200-260% Enhanced damage
    +9 to Minimum Damage
    180-250% Bonus to Attack Rating
    Adds 5-30 Fire Damage
    Adds 75 Poison Damage Over 5 Seconds
    +1-6 to Critical Strike
    +5 to All Attributes
    +2 to Mana after each Kill
    Better Chance of Getting Magic Items 23%

Which will be of great assistance due to the Meditation Aura, which will increase your mana regeneration ALOT! Give this weapon to your mercenary!

If you want suggestions about stat contribution and skills for a Frozen Orb + Meteor build, by level. Just ask!

Heres 2 sites Ive used to check things d2 related:

www.d2skills.com - To try out new builds, theoretically.
    www.diablo3x.dk - A danish site that has very nice lists of Set items/Unique items and runewords. (Even basic items)

Peace

IncGamers Member

Useful links, thanks. I guess I shouldn't be selling my crappy runes to the store anymore.

Only two questions remain: 1) To what areas should I allocate my stats with the Meteorb build, and 2) How can I get in contact with people in my ladder (US east)? Also I've seen hardcore and softcore thrown around.. can you quickly explain or give a link talking about the ladder system?

IncGamers Member

Welcome to the forums and Diablo

1) There are several guides in the Sorceress Forum. Sasja's MeteOrb guide is a popular one. However there are others in this link as well.

2) There is the Player Matchup Forum if you want find people to play with on b.net. If you want to play Single Player still there is the Single Player Forum that you can check out. There they play TCP/IP games in which one hosts and others join. It is also very much against open b.net for the reasons Archone gave. Be sure to read the SPF Rules and follow them if you come to the SPF. I suggest looking at both SPF and b.net before making a final decision. Good luck with your characters.

3) Hardcore and Softcore are essentially the same game with one BIG difference. That being that if you play on Hard core mode you only have one life. Once your character dies you will be unable to play them anymore. In Softcore you are able to die as many times as you want. The only penalty is in Nightmare and Hell mode, which are more difficult versions of Normal, in which each time you die you loose some of the experience you gained toward the next level. However, you never de-level through this penalty.

4) Ladder I'm going to let the link explain Ladder as I play SP and have not played in a long time.
    Last edited by Ladvarian; 31-10-2012 at 18:30.

IncGamers Member

I didn't notice the other sections of the forums, thanks! Sasja's guide was very helpful and extensive. Archone, can you summarize your general strategy for skill point distribution for your meteorb, on a new ladder? Do you go for 70 mana points? Do you go for max block or max vitality? I've seen different sources recommending different things, and I can't tell which is best.

fcr breakpoints! http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Breakpoints (its how fast your sorc will cast spell)

dont mix ias/fcr/fhr http://diablo2.ingame.de/tips/calcs/...p?lang=english weapon speed calculator (but dont get into this if you will play sorc)

In ladder wich starts 7.11.2012 every one will start with lvl 1char and with no items! I think there will be alot more players in next ladder to play with!

This list will help you alot http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Abbrev...s_and_Acronyms

If you have any questions ask here!

Never seen such a high density of knowledge in the same thread! And its only 1 page atm!

Ill share my own strategy, which Ive found worked for me, and which Ill be using on my first char next week!

As you start leveling you character from level 1, aim to get the essential skills asap!

1 point in these skills:

Warmth - Immediatly
    Static Field - Just before Andariel (Act 1 Boss)
    Telekinesis - at lvl 17
    Teleport - at lvl 18
    Frozen Armor - anytime

The remaining points in Firebolt, or FireBall if you are lvl 12+

Continue to lvl you Firebolt/Ball until you reach lvl 30. By then its time to respecc!! (Save the Act1 Quest 1 reward for this!!)

Heres how what to choose:

*Pre required skills = 1p only skills
    Fire Spells:

*Firebolt - 1p
    *Fireball - 1p
    Warmth - 1p
    *Inferno - 1p
    *Blaze - 1p
    *Firewall - 1p
    METEOR - 1p (for now)
    FIRE MASTERY - 1p (for now)

Cold Spells:

Frozen Armor - 1p
    *Ice Bolt - 1p
    *Ice Blast - 1p
    *Glacial Spike - 1p
    *Frost Nova - 1p
    *Blizzard - 1p
    FROZEN ORB - 1p (for now)
    COLD MASTERY - 1p (for now)

Lightning Spells:

Static Field - 1p
    *Telekinesis - 1p
    Teleport - 1p

Thats 19 skill points, and if youve done Act1 Q1+ Act2 Q2+ Act4 Q1 at lvl 30, youll have 33 in total = 14 skill points to put in either Meteor or Frozen Orb(FO).
    Id max FO first. But you do as you wish, you dont want to leave Normal Difficulty until youre at least! lvl 40-45.

Theres all the skills a Sorc may need!
    The only thing to do now is to decide which skill to max first!

At lvl 1 in all skills, the meteor dmg will do ~130 average dmg on hit (+minor dmg/sec), and each bolt from FO ~42dmg. (FO always seem to do little dmg by reading the tooltip. It does ALOT more dmg than you might think though.)

Hope that helped!

Peac