Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Re: Is the demon hunter a poor farming class?

I'm not gonna lie, I just read Gruesome Feast, then had to reread it again.

50% flat damage bonus from one passive, assuming anything resembling farming speed.

You may have a point about WDs, but I think it's more of a WD-has-a-broken-passive thing than a DH-sucks thing.

What's amazing to me is this. #4. 31.40%. WTF.

Quote Originally Posted by Dethklok View Post
    I'm not gonna lie, I just read Gruesome Feast, then had to reread it again.

50% flat damage bonus from one passive, assuming anything resembling farming speed.

You may have a point about WDs, but I think it's more of a WD-has-a-broken-passive thing than a DH-sucks thing.

What's amazing to me is this. #4. 31.40%. WTF.
    Not everyone knows about this zombie bears build because most youtubes don't even talk about the witch doctor much.

You also have to read Soul harvest, which gives up to another 50%. This stacks on top of gruesome feast as a separate buff.

After the first kill, the WD's engine just keeps churning, and you're basically an unstoppable train that rolls over everything in the game.

I agree that it's probably overpowered, but I actually think wizard/demon hunter could use some buffs in general rather nerfing the other classes.

The deceiving thing about Demon Hunters is that their onboard dps is not their real dps. You need basically double that of WD's to kill things at the same speed.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by mysticc View Post
    Not everyone knows about this zombie bears build because most youtubes don't even talk about the witch doctor much.
    I dunno, I think pretty much everybody who does bears does gruesome feast + grave injustice.

Quote Originally Posted by magicrectangle View Post
    I dunno, I think pretty much everybody who does bears does gruesome feast + grave injustice.
    I agree with you that mostly everyone that does bears will use these passives, but the number of people not using the bears is a bit alarming to me. There's a lot of variety/diversity in witch doctor builds, which I find odd seeing how powerful the bears build is. The most popular build doesn't use bears.

Quote Originally Posted by mysticc View Post
    You also have to read Soul harvest, which gives up to another 50%. This stacks on top of gruesome feast as a separate buff.
    It's only +50% if base Intelligence (pre-Gruesome, pre-Harvest) is 1200 or less. More realistically WD pre-buff Int is around 2500, and each Soul Harvest stack is about a 5% damage boost each for a maximum of 25%. Mileage may vary based on build; the less Int you have (say, a Vitality-centric hardcore character), the better Harvest becomes.

Conclusions:
    1) WD skills still compare extremely favorably to analogs from other classes (Gruesome Feast vs Archery; Soul Harvest vs Magic Weapon).
    2) mysticc has a propensity for exaggeration.

Just play it. It runs over everything on MP0/1

As an aside... holy ****. Generally, I've found nothing of note for many paragon levels (41-44)... like almost no legendaries. But now WOO HOO! I found a manticore, a calamity, ice climbers and this in the last 15 minutes:

Insane. I was just about to ask what the expected number of drops per Alkaizer run should be on MP0, but I guess I'm just running into very bad luck for a long time, and then some really good luck.
    Last edited by mysticc; 02-11-2012 at 07:19.

IncGamers Member

Assuming we're talking 300 unbuffed MF, I average about 1 legendary per run. My runs aren't exactly Alkaizer runs, but they're pretty close in terms of amount of stuff killed.

Quote Originally Posted by magicrectangle View Post
    Assuming we're talking 300 unbuffed MF, I average about 1 legendary per run. My runs aren't exactly Alkaizer runs, but they're pretty close in terms of amount of stuff killed.
    I've had weird luck. When I leveling my demon hunter from 1 through 38 or so, I generally found a legendary every 2-3 runs. From 40-43, I basically found nothing for the longest time. I did eventually find that crappy legendary level 58 wizard hat and frostburns, but I think that's pretty low legendary count for so many runs. Then during level 44, I found all of the stuff I mentioned above.

I am not running with any MF gear though, so maybe my experience is expected? I think I have around 130% unbuffed MF - around there.

Anyway, I don't care much for the Ice Climbers, so I hope they sell for the 47 million I put them up for.

IncGamers Member

If you're plvl44 with no MF gear then yeah, 132 MF, and that definitely makes a big difference.

Well, maybe I should get some depth diggers or something. I am not terribly excited about Inna's temperance - 25% effective health hit just to get a few extra % in dps seems hardly worth it to me. I don't know where else I can get some MF without sacrificing some dps. Finally at 120k dps, MP0 is very farmable and is much faster than my witch doctor. Scaling back down to 90k dps or something would make things harder I think. I guess I will just keep grinding out those paragon levels.