Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Re: Is the demon hunter a poor farming class?

Hey i recently switched my main to DH since i wanted to have a really fast mp0/mp1 farm character.
    As already stated you will get exactly that if you have the gold to supply enough dmg output.

At the end of some skill and gear testing i was at a point where ia had to choose between Multi and E Arrow. I just feel like sharing what made me pick E Arrow in the end.

First of Multishot is a lot harder to use efficient due to his cone type of dmg output, so while it's great if you have enough distance it can get quiet annoying to clear big groups if they are close by (wich is bound to happen in act3). On that side E Arrow is a lot more forgiving.
    Multishot really shines if you get the positioning right. It will provide instant dmg with high crits. On that side it's clearly more fun and efective. However it's also more dangerous, since it will kill you a lot faster on reflect mobs if you don't pay attention.
    So up until now i would have chosen Multishot since it's harder to play but overall better.
    For me one of the big pro's of E Arrow is that the Hatred return from Nightstalker is a lot better. Together with Vengeance i can spam Gloom, Vault and Calltrops (BtT) like crazy wich ups my farming speed quiet a lot (i can also get away with a lot less ehp that way, wich is again more dmg).
    My last main was a Witch Doctor and as i was playing my DH, i was quiet happy with the clear speed on white mobs, however uniques and elite took way longer then on a Witch Doctor wich annoyed me quiet a bit. This brings me to another big pro of E Arrow. With Vengeance and some pick up radius you will hardly see you hatred drop to a low level at all (due to it's low costs). So you are free to spend your hatred on something else for faster elite kills. I choose Spike Traps Echoing Blast (that way you also get something out of the chest skill bonus), basically if i get a Unique/Elite i place Spike Traps, turn on Gloom and Calltrops (BtT) and spam E Arrow. Wich does a great job clearing them in a few seconds.

How does Caltrops increase your farming speed? If you're doing any kiting at all, then that means you're being slowed down.

IncGamers Member

I don't kite, but since i didn't spend billions on my DH i actually still have to "stop" in order to kill Elite/Unique. So i use Caltrops for the 10% CC buff, the extra dmg generated out of this helps to finish them of quicker and gives me some extra disc.
    So it's useless for white mobs but speeds up unique/elite kills. Both Caltrops and Spike Traps have the advantage that they "add" to E Arrow without disturbing it to much. There are other skills that do a nice job as well but i prefer those atm.

I just tank elite packs with shadow power, even the hulking phase beast uniques and others, so I don't really see much to using caltrops. Kind of a waste of an ability slot from my perspective. I used to like it when my gear was bad too, but it doesn't really have a place when farming. For me, it's just about killing as much **** as possible in the quickest amount of time, and getting through all of the white space as quickly as possible with vault and tactical advantage.

I stopped playing though for at least a week. Game feels like a job. It is such an endless grind that couldn't possibly be rewarding. At least in D2 when was farming a lot for very rare items, like rare crafts and stuff, there was other stuff I found to break up the monotony. I was still crafting, gambling and still benefiting from rune drops and other good unique drops, even if it wasn't the circlet or craft I really wanted. In this game, you can play for hours and literally get nothing of value for your time. At paragon 70, there is really no reason to keep going.

IncGamers Member

Then more you think about efficiency then more it is bound to feel like a job i guess. I know that feeling, even though for me personally it's more about general boredom within a class ( i can not play a "fun" build that doubles the time my run takes). Wich is one of the big reasons why i just switched my main to DH.

Caltrops is kinda nice because it's reliable, since im tanking every mob as well, i will be standing still a bit anyways...getting 17k extra dmg is quiet tempting.
    Rain of Vengeance is a lot better but the Cool Down kinda turns me of. I'm still using Rain of Vengeance right now maybe i stick with it after some testing. Do you have any other skill suggestion?

Quote Originally Posted by EismitSahne View Post
    Then more you think about efficiency then more it is bound to feel like a job i guess. I know that feeling, even though for me personally it's more about general boredom within a class ( i can not play a "fun" build that doubles the time my run takes). Wich is one of the big reasons why i just switched my main to DH.

Caltrops is kinda nice because it's reliable, since im tanking every mob as well, i will be standing still a bit anyways...getting 17k extra dmg is quiet tempting.
    Rain of Vengeance is a lot better but the Cool Down kinda turns me of. I'm still using Rain of Vengeance right now maybe i stick with it after some testing. Do you have any other skill suggestion?
    There is no point to playing D3 if it's not about efficiency, as at this point, the whole game is about farming. And the farming is not enjoyable because nothing drops. The fact that you only get 1-2 legendaries every hour, even at paragon 70, is a huge joke - especially when you need to find 10 legendaries on average just to get a good type of legendary, and even then you need it to roll well. So most legendaries are pretty much crap. I'd say you have to play 10-30 hours to find a good legendary. Contrast with this torchlight 2, and you'll find buttloads of awesome loot in such a few hours of play time. And all the loot that drops in TL2 is level-appropriate and useful to someone anyway.

Rain of Vengeance is just another skill that has no place in farming.

Just look at my profile. This is the best build imho for farming low monster powers as a DH. It didn't take me too long to get to paragon 70 - like 2.5 weeks or so using this build.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/s...0/hero/6639721

IncGamers Member

Have you tried the Strafe build? With your gear, Mp 0 and probably Mp 1 should be a straight whirl through with no stops other than to pick up loot. It's faster than Ball Lightning, although with that good gear I'm not sure by how much. For me it was a big step up. Mind you, farming is still boring because of the drop rate / item quality issue... But at least now the DH can be efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Greizer View Post
    Have you tried the Strafe build? With your gear, Mp 0 and probably Mp 1 should be a straight whirl through with no stops other than to pick up loot. It's faster than Ball Lightning, although with that good gear I'm not sure by how much. For me it was a big step up. Mind you, farming is still boring because of the drop rate / item quality issue... But at least now the DH can be efficient.
    I'll try it out for ****s-and-giggles on MP1. When I tried strafe, my gear wasn't quite as good. I didn't really like it though because I ran out of hatred, but I haven't looked at the build on that page so I'll try it out. If I can beat 11 minute alkaizer runs, that would be really cool actually.

BattleTag butch-1749

Quote Originally Posted by mysticc View Post
    Just look at my profile. This is the best build imho for farming low monster powers as a DH. It didn't take me too long to get to paragon 70 - like 2.5 weeks or so using this build.

QFT (I use it as well). Seriously tho, with high enough DPS, there are lots of efficient DH builds for farming. The problem with the class is the DPS does not translate very well into run speed (you need to get quite a lot compared to say barb )

Good thing is once you stack high enough dps, you can drop the dps passives (Archery, Steady Aim) and get more diversity.
    I recently dropped Archery for Vengeance for resource regen (the other two passives i use are Tactical Advantage and Perfectionist). This in turn allowed me to drop bat for cluster arrow that provides spike dmg for elites.
    Ball lightning obliterates white mobs and elites go poof in two cluster shots.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by mysticc View Post
    Rain of Vengeance is just another skill that has no place in farming.

Thanks for you profile, it's kinda funny how everyone seems to think he has the best farming build...
    I tried your build (again, since i tried something like that already) and for me it is a lot slower then what i'm currently using. Wich is mainly due to it's lower disc generation (due to archery) wich results in slower movement over all (less disc for vaults). Also elite/Uniques take quiet a while with it.

My dmg is higher then yours so that helps but a alkaizer run takes me 8-9 minutes with this build

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/R...8/hero/9596799

Next up i want to revisit the strafe build an see how it compares