Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Re: Is the demon hunter a poor farming class?

Quote Originally Posted by mysticc View Post
    my target should be 550,000 [EHP].
    Half of that is plenty.

Right now, my EHP is 148,535 without dodge, 254,953 with dodge. Remember the goal here — easy monsters, fast movement. In the video I still had my old cloak, so if you're watching that my EHP was even lower then.

Maybe you should switch to Multishot... assuming relatively low monster HP, one of the biggest benefits is instantaneous damage, which preemptively prevents damage you'd otherwise tank with Ball Lightning.

IncGamers Member

Even for MP0 I'd like more than 150k, but definitely 500k is overkill. 250k is workable, 150k is just too unforgiving of mistakes.

I only have vision in one eye, and it's 20/400. I can't react to things as quickly as you can probably can. I can definitely play at 450,000 ehp, but I will die to stupid **** (reflect damage and they drop a poison pool underneath me, or crap like that). The damage is too fast that I can't get out of it fast enough. With 550,000, I'm pretty sure I could vault out of it in time.

Even with 450,000 ehp though, a phase beast elite will still deplete half of my health globe with a single swing. I think 150,000 is way too low.

I also want my character to be viable on higher settings though as well.

IncGamers Member

Just as a point of reference:
    I'm usually playing at MP5 with 200k EH (370k with dodge), can tank pretty much everything with Gloom on if I have to, and only rarely die to bad combos when I don't pay enough attention or do something stupid. If I go down to MP0/1 my only possible cause of death is boredom.

Quick reactions are a requirement for that though, so I see your point mysticc.

Mp0/1 are pretty easy. I get too cocky though and just vault into everything, so every 6 runs I do this against an elite pack that will basically kill me .5 seconds I usually kill things so fast that I can't even see what affixes they have, and for the most part, I don't really care what affixes they have except for reflect damage. Since I can't read it quickly, I just throw up Gloom whenever I see an elite pack. Better to be safe than sorry.

I'm still doing lots of equipment analysis, and it's very difficult to find the "right" combination that will give a lot of dps and good survivability but won't cost a fortune. When I figure it out though, I'll be sure to post it here.

EDIT: Also to clarify, I mean 500k EHP with gloom up, not unbuffed.

Yeah, I think I was wrong about Inna's Temperance. While I was right that it is completely bad for EHP, it does look like the only way to get good dps, surviability and 24% movement speed all at the same time.

I can get 500,000 EHP (with gloom) and ~135k dps by making the following changes:

1. Inna's Temperance with 100+ Vitality. Socket with 2 amethysts
    2. Strongarm Bracers with 65+ all resits and 9% life
    3. Inna's Favour with 40+ all resists
    4. Change Officer Sight rare ring with 150+ dex Wailing Host, Nat's Reflection or something similar. Make sure ring has 80+ vitality and has at least 2 out of the trifecta.

Using Inna's Temperance really forces you to get good gear in other slots though. It's the only way to make those pants work.

I've tried other combinations. Inna's Vast Expanse (with 75+ to all resistances combined with Pants), Witching Hour (100+ dex), and Ice Climbers would give a 5% boost to dps and a very minor 2% boost to EHP. Considering the price of all of these items, this is not at all worth it. Bad combo.

The other combo I considered was using a good rare pair of pants, witching hour and lacuni prowlers. This gives ~140k dps, but the effective health would be 432,059. Again, this combination is more expensive. The only way to correct the EHP would be to get very, very good pants.

Any other combos I didn't consider that could do better than Inna's Pants+Belt+Strong arms?

Can someone who is subscribed to this thread lend me 5 million please? THere's an amazing deal on the AH for something that is sure to be bought out (if not already) and I am 5 million short.

My battle tag is Scala#1900

If it's magicrectangle, I'll even give you the lacuni prowlers as insurance until i pay you back (which won't be long).

Quote Originally Posted by Dethklok View Post
    This is me speed-farming Act 3 at MP0 at 300GF/300MF (video quality sucks though, I'm new to this screen-capture stuff). If you can do an Alkaizer run in under 13 minutes with any other class, let me know.
    This is my profile. I wouldn't say I have budget gear, but I don't have even one piece of Nat's gear. I'm also running Hardened for the lulz.
    This is why being able to speed-run MP0 is important.

If you ask me, DH is the best farming class.
    I made a video of my own using Elemental Arrow:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/443421/Diab...eedFarming.mp4

Interesting thread. I came to similar conclusions. DH in order to really stomp mp0 or mp1 needs very high quality gear and dps. Once you need to kite, or use single target abilities, slows down dramatically.
    The video demonstration of farming alkaizer route sums it up pretty well. First phasebeast pack and guy needs to kite it, takes him quite long to kill. Wd in that case would roll that pack in 2 seconds with zombie bears, not turning back, and with some lousy 30-40k unbuffed dps.
    Dh in order to be fast would need to handle this situation by wiping that pack with 2-3 shots of multishot, and that can't be done with 100k dps unfortunately, you need ton more.
    Note that bears multihit big targets (even not aimed near wall), so 2x 236%, and if you focus them 3x, over 700% weapon damage per cast.

Anyway from my experience to get dh to state of really fast farming low mp, which means killing elites not longer than 3-5 seconds, and preferably with easy to aim aoe skills, ideally same skill you use to kill trash with (so ball lightning or multishot), you need at least around 200k dps.
    Dh dps seems bit inflated by resource management and inability to sustain damage from really heavy hitting skills. This can be noticed watching really high end 400k dps dh who attempt monster power 10, that they kill significantly slower than other classes.

Quote Originally Posted by aerial View Post
    Interesting thread. I came to similar conclusions. DH in order to really stomp mp0 or mp1 needs very high quality gear and dps. Once you need to kite, or use single target abilities, slows down dramatically.
    The video demonstration of farming alkaizer route sums it up pretty well. First phasebeast pack and guy needs to kite it, takes him quite long to kill. Wd in that case would roll that pack in 2 seconds with zombie bears, not turning back, and with some lousy 30-40k unbuffed dps.
    Dh in order to be fast would need to handle this situation by wiping that pack with 2-3 shots of multishot, and that can't be done with 100k dps unfortunately, you need ton more.
    Note that bears multihit big targets (even not aimed near wall), so 2x 236%, and if you focus them 3x, over 700% weapon damage per cast.

Anyway from my experience to get dh to state of really fast farming low mp, which means killing elites not longer than 3-5 seconds, and preferably with easy to aim aoe skills, ideally same skill you use to kill trash with (so ball lightning or multishot), you need at least around 200k dps.
    Dh dps seems bit inflated by resource management and inability to sustain damage from really heavy hitting skills. This can be noticed watching really high end 400k dps dh who attempt monster power 10, that they kill significantly slower than other classes.
    Pretty much my conclusions as well.

I just a got a new bow, and I do 165k dps now. I can really tear through mp1. I can do mp2 in about the same manner I used to do MP1 with 145k dps, but a little bit harder. Mp3 is out of the question.

I hear some people farming MP6-7 with just 40k dps more than me, and I don't get how seeing as the monsters take much more hits to kill, and thus you're going to get hit so much more.

At least in my video, I didn't kite or anything for the phase beast pack (and with my new manticore, the same would happen on MP1 or Mp2). On MP3, I can't stay alive long enough to tank it. MP6-7 seems like such an impossibility.

I wish all of these DH's who brag that they can do MP6-7 would actually record their play and prove that they can do it efficiently. Most of the people that claim this are still paragon 20-30. I am almost 60 as of today. If I'm getting more xp doing MP1, then I have to assume my drops are comparable.

I'm still waiting.
    Last edited by mysticc; 09-11-2012 at 09:17.