Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Re: Disney Buys Lucasfilm - Episodes 7-9 on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by LozHinge the Unhinged View Post
    I quite liked Blake's 7 when it first came out - in the same way cramp is sort of enjoyable, even whilst it is excruciating agony ...
    You're being snooty. Given the era, production values, and expectations, Blake's 7 was reasonably good quality.
    ... but that ending. It gave me a brand new brain aneurysm and then burst it, in five minutes flat. The horror. The horror.
    My Mom was floored by it, and she doesn't like Sci Fi. There's one other show from nearly the same period, and I don't recall which, that used the same sort of "nuke 'em all" ending. I started to wonder if such finality was a hallmark of British TV, but then I realized that Dr. Who had been running for years before I ever saw it.

MY favourite show of the era was UFO, by the same guys who went on to make Space:1999 (and Thunderbirds somewhere along the line too). Have you ever seen it? It ROCKS. Kind of makes you wonder where the video game UFO: Enemy Unknown and the Men In Black series got their inspiration from...

Quote Originally Posted by Dredd View Post
    If I was the nostalgic type, I might be a little upset. Then again, Star Wars wasn't a huge part of my childhood.
    I was, but Dim George ruined any such emotional twinges with Ep. 1, and went on to replace them with simmering disgust using Ep. 2-3
    I would like too see cleaned up versions of the original theatrical cuts of Ep. 4-6 on Blu-Ray (I don't care for the "special edition" crap at all). If Disney can deliver that, I don't care what else they do with the franchise.
    Remember, the reason Dim George stinks so badly is that he imagines that he's all that and a bag of chips. He wrote the original as a single movie, and then they started realizing that not only was the tech not up to the challenge (as is often claimed in his defense) but that it was so LOOONNNNGGGG that it would have chased moviegoers away in droves because it would be so BOOOOORRRRINNGGGG.

One word. Reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by jmervyn View Post
    There's one other show from nearly the same period, and I don't recall which, that used the same sort of "nuke 'em all" ending.
    The 1979 Quatermass Conclusion perhaps? That whole serial was quite the downer and literally had a "nuke 'em all" ending.

Quote Originally Posted by jmervyn View Post
    I was, but Dim George ruined any such emotional twinges with Ep. 1, and went on to replace them with simmering disgust using Ep. 2-3
    I've had Ep. 1-3 blocked from my mind for years. Thank you, Mr. Plinkett, for the closure.

IncGamers Member Leopold Stotch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillman View Post
    Not sure how to answer that. The parts I bolded seem like excess, maybe the point where art dies and the audience feels the material is being abused. I'm all for freedom, but I'm the type of artist that doesn't want more regurgitated Batman/Spiderman movies. While the SW ones will be technically new, I'm sure they will be so formulaic, banal, and mainstream that they may as well not exist, if that makes sense.
    I have not read The Hobbit (i know, i know. *waits for everyone to awaken from their fainting*), so I would like to think that there is a reason for three movies. Let's hope. And I can understand the reason for splitting HP 7 up into two parts. It was a long book with a lot of detail that needed to be in that last movie. But pieces of bull**** like this atrocity is where the art died. The art died when there was more than one book, let alone movies.

And there have been movies that have been great but there are ****ty, pointless sequels! I was in Target today to buy pens (I'm a sucker for pens and it is the only place I know that carries the colored Pentel RSVP pens my fave) and walked past the movie section. THERE WAS A SEQUEL FOR A CHRISTMAS STORY! What. Da ****?!?! How and why is there a sequel for that movie? I was disgusted and proceeded to the game section.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNix View Post
    The "Peacekeeper wars" rounded off Farscape pretty well though, as did "Serenity".

Back on topic: I'm not sure that episodes 7-9 could really add much to the Star Wars universe.
    Boba Fett escaping the pit maybe. hehe!

I quite liked Blake's 7 when it first came out - in the same way cramp is sort of enjoyable, even whilst it is excruciating agony ...
    cramping is never enjoyable! especially in the height of sexual excitement!

"OH YES! OH- OWW! Owowowowowow!!! Cramp!!"

Quote Originally Posted by BobCox2 View Post
    how is Goofy Darth Vader?! What about that one creature that looks like Goofy but is fat? Idk his name, but he seems more fit for that than goofy-*** Goofy!

Europe Trade Moderator krischan's Avatar

You mean Black Pete? He's a cat while Goofy is a dog...

BTW, it could have been much worse, e.g. if the producers of Family Guy bought Lucasfilm:

Or the makers of Drawn Together *shudder*
    D3 Trading Forums: Europe - America
    Diablo Wiki / Arreat Summit / ATMA / Forum Rules / Adria
    You know I'm born to lose / and gambling is for fools / but that's the way I like it, baby / I don't want to live forever!

BattleTag TheNix-6417

Drawn together was great! I've got the whole set. Quads was probably better though.

Europe Trade Moderator krischan's Avatar

Yes, but I wouldn't like it if they produced the real Star Wars movies instead of parodies.
    D3 Trading Forums: Europe - America
    Diablo Wiki / Arreat Summit / ATMA / Forum Rules / Adria
    You know I'm born to lose / and gambling is for fools / but that's the way I like it, baby / I don't want to live forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Stotch View Post
    And I can understand the reason for splitting HP 7 up into two parts. It was a long book with a lot of detail that needed to be in that last movie.
    And still they managed to make the first part (of the movie) be an incoherent mess where they just teleport around and and tries to piece together info, without doing a really good job of explaining what was going on. And the last part was packed with all the fighting and whatnot, and basically going (screw the smaller details!). Or maybe my memory from the book didn't let me make an accurate decision on the events portrayed in the movie.

One thing that always struck me as odd though... so little explanation on the whole taking over ownership of the Elder Wand. IIRC *spoiler* Harry has to kill Snape (which in the movie I'm pretty sure he doesn't), since it was Snape that killed Dumbledore, and then Harry killing Snape to make sure the Wand doesn't work as it should for Voldemort */spoiler* Also there was this conversation between Harry and Voldemort taking place in the book, which they completely ripped out of the movie. Anyway I'm pretty sure if someone watches the first part of the movie, without reading the book, it makes a lot less sense that it could've, because of omitted details.
    Unofficial Incgamers Clan - The Red One

Quote Originally Posted by kestegs View Post
    so is Bieber pointless or just women in general?

The 1979 Quatermass Conclusion perhaps? That whole serial was quite the downer and literally had a "nuke 'em all" ending.
    It looks familiar, so I bet that was it.
    I've had Ep. 1-3 blocked from my mind for years. Thank you, Mr. Plinkett, for the closure.
    I actually had never seen those before, though I'd heard of Red Letter. Looks like I have some watching to do.

IncGamers Member LozHinge the Unhinged's Avatar
    BattleTag FTITCTAJ

U.F.O was as stylish as you like, a really good series. I liked Space: 1999 as well.
    I was a little old for Thunderbirds - at least, I considered myself so - but I do remember it with some fondness.

Personally, I'll take Blue Harvest over Star Wars every day of the week. More tightly plotted, better dialogue, higher production values and situated not nearly as high up its own large intestine.

My favorite webcomic has already made a comic about it! Clicky!

http://www.somethingpositive.net/sp11022012.shtml
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivi View Post
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.