Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
    IncGamers Member

Question Dexterity or Critical Hit damage?

Hi guys, I've been saving my gold and finally have enough to purchase a decent Calamity, my question is though, am I better off getting one with a socket and put a gem in it for critical hit damage or going for one that is high dexterity?

Cheers fro the help.

Re: Dexterity or Critical Hit damage?

You can get dex on enything else, which you cannot say about CHD.

IncGamers Member

Various sites/spreadsheets out there ought to let you figure out precisely how much changing X will effect your damage. You should be able to do this at d3up.com I believe, so I'd go there and fiddle with the calculator to get an exact answer on what's best for you specifically (as the answer will generally depend on the rest of your gear, etc, etc).

Off the top of my head though, I'd guess you'll have better returns sticking a high crit dmg gem in your weapon than finding dexterity. As said above though, that will depend on your overall crit chance, overall dexterity, existing crit damage, etc, etc.

I cannot imagine how dex could outperform Critical Hit Damage, but I guess anything is possible. Get as much Critical hit damage as possible. I have 290% on my manticore - makes a huge difference.

IncGamers Member

Crit is definitely much better than any of the other mods (ok socket too, but that is essentially the same thing), but you will have to pay for it. For the same cost, a weapon with crit or socket will have lower dps than a weapon with +stat or something else, so you'll have to check prices and use a damage calc to find out which will give you the best results overall.

IncGamers Member

Remember the one thing DEX gives you that crit doesn't is increased dodge chance: if you drop DEX, you will get hit more often.

That said, if you kill stuff before it can hit you. . . . you don't have to worry about dodge in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanadin View Post
    Remember the one thing DEX gives you that crit doesn't is increased dodge chance: if you drop DEX, you will get hit more often.

That said, if you kill stuff before it can hit you. . . . you don't have to worry about dodge in the first place.
    You can't dodge any of the stuff that will kill you anyway. Even if you could, at such high dex levels, it won't make much of a difference anyhow. Like .2%