Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Help a Demon Hunter out!

Heya all!

Ok, firstly, the patient. My profile isn't quite up to date atm, I've replaced the "endurance" ring with a Litany of the undaunted ring, 13-25 damage, 157 dex, 63 ar, 4.5% crit chance, improves the unbuffed DPS to about 85k.

Right, question time.

1). I have 884 Loh on the manticore, but it doesn't seem to work at all/very often with this characters preferred run & gun skill, Multishot. I don't see the skill filling the screen with yellow crit damage numbers So I'm guessing that multi shot doesn't proc at all for LoH/LL/crits. Right or wrong?
    Im looking to replace the manticore eventually, do I look for another means to return life aka Life leech or Life on kill, or can I rely on skills to replace life?

2). Evasive fire/Hungry arrow. I only need one of these skills, not two. Not sure which one to run with hence why they are both on my skill bar atm. What's a good idea to replace the extra slot with? Sentry? Shadow power? Something else? I'm leaning towards hungry arrow as it's a nice auto seek and doesn't use Disc which I may need if I start using more Disc with a skill such as sentry.

3). Cinderella. Seeing that Trail of cinders got whacked with the nerf stick, personally I don't mind it as a "teleport" skill to move your DH quickly out of harms way. How about another rune associated with Vault or even another dodge & damage type skill? Strafe perhaps? Anybody having any success with alternatives to the cinderella combo?

4). General comments, suggestions, gear etc. Hoping to start rolling hellfire rings one day, upgrade the helm, manticore and shoulders. Anything in particular I should look for?

Thanks for your help!

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag thefranklin-1107

Re: Help a Demon Hunter out!

Hey Asmo nice setup.

1. If the loh isn't helping you out that much, don't fret about ditching it. Using shadow power: Gloom keeps my bulb filled up nicely.

2. Your crit chance is well high enough to use hungering arrow: spray of teeth, but honestly I have been changing around my generator from game to game, they all are about the same now. Using the stun bola is fun, the extra radius bola is also good, and entangling shot for more hatred is another choice.

3. I am in the same predicament, I really want to stop using trail of cinders, but since I don't generally vault from place to place (where I could use the 50% next vault rune) I am having a hard time replacing. The 75% damage one is lame, stun where you are vaulting to is useless (why is not stun from where you are leaving?) and the 10 second cooldown is too long.

4. The manticore could use an upgrade. If you ever plan to get an soj (20% elite damage is no joke, disc is nice) get an all physical damage "black" weapon. For the Helm slot, it would be hard not to get a Nat's with crit for the extra 130 dex, but how cheap Andy's helms are, they are hard to beat. Mine was less than 5 mil and is a solid helm. Shoulders, just get more on them when you do upgrade them.

It is easier for me to describe what my character is doing than pick apart yours, so here goes:

My Patient I still run with cluster bombs (tried out frost arrow a run, not going to do it again lol), and switch out spike trap / bat depending on what I am doing. The soj with -cluster arrow was expensive and was meant to resell on rmah, but that hasn't happened yet so I still use it. Then I had to buy an all physical weapon to get the full 6% damage boost. I really don't want to use Andy's helm due to the extra fire damage, but I am having a hard time finding something better. I recently moved my extra run speed from lacuni's to the inquisitor and I like that change, but I didn't have Nat's two piece so I didn't lose anything there. I also just bought new shoulders and pants last night, and probably spent too much on shoulders but they seemed like a good deal. Pants were right around a mil, I am now saving to get the same stats but with 700+ armor. I am currently looking to replace my left ring and boots, I can drop vit from both those spots and focus on damage. I haven't found anything yet worth upgrading them, though, Nats boots with that much dex cost a fortune.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by thefranklin View Post
    Hey Asmo nice setup.

1. If the loh isn't helping you out that much, don't fret about ditching it. Using shadow power: Gloom keeps my bulb filled up nicely.

4. The manticore could use an upgrade. If you ever plan to get an soj (20% elite damage is no joke, disc is nice) get an all physical damage "black" weapon. For the Helm slot, it would be hard not to get a Nat's with crit for the extra 130 dex, but how cheap Andy's helms are, they are hard to beat. Mine was less than 5 mil and is a solid helm. Shoulders, just get more on them when you do upgrade them.
    Two thoughts on this, in reverse order:

(4) The one thing to watch out for with Andy is that it increases the damage you take from fire—which can be a disaster when going up against mortars/moltens—by 5% to 25%.

(1) Multishot doesn't play well with LOH: you only get 1/6 the LOH number per hit. You can see the other values here (there are a few that are out of date, most notably Jagged Spikes, which is now zero):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Gc&output=html

Thanks for the detailed replies!

I've put a bid on a better manticore that has LoK instead of LoH. I couldn't see much difference between them with or without the LoK, so why not.

As far as skills goes, I'll have to experiement with them all I guess. I like what you've done with your DH thefranklin. A lot more life and Regeneration that mine. Looks like a good idea so I'll look for more as I upgrade my items.

IncGamers Member

In no particular order - your attack speed must be very slow, this would negate your life on hit & personally life on hit is not really viable for a DH anymore. Just use SP: gloom it's great. For your gear I'd look for more dex & attack speed.
    Crit chance is good, so I would be inclined to change hungering: devouring (35%) for spray of teeth, doubly so as you are using bait the trap.

Afterthought- id be interested to see how useful life on kill is if it has a decent amount on the manticore.

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag thefranklin-1107

Nice Manticore, how much did that run (ps what server do you play on?)? The 2k life per kill must be very nice for speed runs at low mp levels, what mp level do you normally play?

And yes, you have to try cluster bombs. They do so much damage so fast when you can line them up it is unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by Adeyj View Post
    In no particular order - your attack speed must be very slow, this would negate your life on hit & personally life on hit is not really viable for a DH anymore. Just use SP: gloom it's great. For your gear I'd look for more dex & attack speed.
    Crit chance is good, so I would be inclined to change hungering: devouring (35%) for spray of teeth, doubly so as you are using bait the trap.

Afterthought- id be interested to see how useful life on kill is if it has a decent amount on the manticore.
    I have 34% IAS from the lacuni's, DML and the manticore. Not what I would have called slow, but I know you can never have enough Dex & IAS!

Spray of teeth with Hungering arrow? Will do.

haven't done much play testing with the new manticore so far. so far it seems to be owning the 800 odd LoH I had on the old manticore. It seems that for trash mobs I can run on the LoK and only need shadow power/gloom for elites.

Quote Originally Posted by thefranklin View Post
    Nice Manticore, how much did that run (ps what server do you play on?)? The 2k life per kill must be very nice for speed runs at low mp levels, what mp level do you normally play?

And yes, you have to try cluster bombs. They do so much damage so fast when you can line them up it is unbelievable.
    I play on US. The manticore cost 8 million. Assuming I get a couple of million back on the old one, it wasn't a bad upgrade. DPS is essentially the same but thats because I switched out steady aim for perfectionist so the new manticore has made up for the 20% bonus you get when standing around in town with no monsters in range.

Im not playing this character regularly yet. Im building this character for group play with friends, some of them run tank WW barbs and monks so a good ranged toon is a better mix than my other character, a SnB barb.

I'll try out cluster bombs after I sample sentry. Slot three is going to get changed quite a few times while I decide what I prefer as a side dish to hungering arrow/multi.