Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Re: Choosing the Right Monster Power Level For Farming

Not to mention with a higher MP more MF means higher quality items, which means time saved picking up, checking vendoring or dropping items.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollei View Post
    Again ur math is flawed.
    o rly
    Going from MPL1 to MPL5 on a 300% MF char (gear + NV + paragon) is equivalent to increasing MF about 30%, not to mention that bonus item go from 1% to 36%.
    Even if we interpret that to mean 300%MF after 5-stack valor, you forgot the 100% base chance and the 25% from MP1, and 100/425=23.5%, which is considerably less than your estimate. If you meant 300%MF before valor, reduce that to 20%. (At max MF, comparing higher MPs against MP1 is easy; it's 5% per level increase.)
    Lets get the worse case were i do a run in 16min. Thats a 33% increase in time. So on MF/Time im pretty much even, now u can count the bonus item and i'm gaining more items per minute on MPL5.
    Let's say your original 30% figure was correct somehow. If so, my tentative estimate is that you'd need 6.6% or more of your loot-profit to come from whites (as opposed to elites) just to break even after the 36% increased drop chance.

With more realistic 20% increased MF and only 25% increased runtime (I'm giving you your 15min here, not your 16), we'd need 12% or more of goodloot to be whiteloot. This might be the case; more testing is required. However, it could also be true that 95% of legendaries and rares come from elites and the increased drop chance isn't enough.

The problem is the estimate; currently, the trigger conditions for the extra drop chance are somewhat vague. That's why I've been collecting data as I do runs. (My character sucks at MP3 runs but I'm gonna have to do some in the name of science.)

Additionally, I'm not trying to make the point that everyone should be doing MP0 or MP1. Although the breakpoints are tougher to meet than the general population believes, they are still there and they are still achievable. Maybe your barb is well-geared enough to naturally deserve a higher MP level, and if so kudos to you. The point I am trying to make is that most players should be playing at a lower MP level than they currently are.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by gakky View Post
    Not to mention with a higher MP more MF means higher quality items
    Yes, but...
    which means time saved picking up, checking vendoring or dropping items.
    No.

You aren't going to pick up white or blue items anyway, so the fact that a larger percentage of your items will be yellow or gold/green doesn't in any way reduce your sifting through stuff, unless for some reason it takes you mental effort to discard white and blue items out of hand. The percentage of rare items that will be 4/5/6 stat is essentially unchanged between the MP levels (ever so slightly increased amounts of 5/6 because of the effect of MF on the guaranteed NV drop, but this effect is minor - most of your 5/6 stat yellows will not be NV drops, no matter what MP you're on).

"Quality" as understood from the MF perspective is just the magical type of the item (white, blue, yellow4, yellow5, yellow6, green/orange). MF increases the numbers of all these types of drops, except for white, which it decreases. If you somehow got so much MF that you could push whites completely off the table, it would start decreasing the number of blue drops (you can't get that much for trash mobs, but you actually can for elites). If you got even more MF, so that you could start pushing 4 stat yellows off the table (you can't get that much, period, even for elites), only then would you be improving the ratio of things worth having to things picked up and identified. I don't know what the corresponding MF value is for such a thing, but it is probably in the thousands.
    Last edited by magicrectangle; 01-11-2012 at 07:30.

IncGamers Member

i did not forgot anything. the correct math is 100/325 = 30.7%

75 from nv + 225 from paragon (in my case) + 25 from mpl1

i do know that for most people mpl0-1 is best for items. im just advocating that for reasonable geared barbs thats not the. and i do believe that barbs is the only class exception. uping mpl for farming for other classes should only occur when ur overkilling mobs

i did not forgot anything. the correct math is 100/325 = 30.7%

75 from nv + 225 from paragon (in my case) + 25 from mpl1
    As a psychic I'm embarassed I wasn't able to divine that information.
    Last edited by Dethklok; 01-11-2012 at 16:52.

IncGamers Member

you were the one that assumed a 300mf char. it just so happenes that thats my case

ur math was wrong because u did 100/425 when the correct way to calculate the increase in mf is to 100/325

your result gave a 23.5% increase from mpl1 to mpl5. thats clearly wrong. if u multiply 325 * 1.235 we get 401 mf

Just finished collecting some stats... over an average of 10 runs on MP0 with my DH:

Average Alkaizer run time: 16 minutes 34 seconds. However, I was making a point to kill every white I saw, so that things would be accurate for MP0 to MP3 increased drop rate calculations.

554.82 items dropped per hour...
    • 374.58 blue (why are Exquisite Essences so expensive?)
    • 149.83 rare
    • 0.36 legendary (bad luck, if you ask me)
    • 30.05 white/gray

153.3 items dropped per run...
    • 103.5 blue (67.5%)
    • 41.4 rare (27.0%)
    • 0.1 legendary (0.1%)
    • 8.3 white/gray (5.4%)

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by magicrectangle View Post
    Yes, but...

No.

You aren't going to pick up white or blue items anyway, so the fact that a larger percentage of your items will be yellow or gold/green doesn't in any way reduce your sifting through stuff, unless for some reason it takes you mental effort to discard white and blue items out of hand. The percentage of rare items that will be 4/5/6 stat is essentially unchanged between the MP levels (ever so slightly increased amounts of 5/6 because of the effect of MF on the guaranteed NV drop, but this effect is minor - most of your 5/6 stat yellows will not be NV drops, no matter what MP you're on).

"Quality" as understood from the MF perspective is just the magical type of the item (white, blue, yellow4, yellow5, yellow6, green/orange). MF increases the numbers of all these types of drops, except for white, which it decreases. If you somehow got so much MF that you could push whites completely off the table, it would start decreasing the number of blue drops (you can't get that much for trash mobs, but you actually can for elites). If you got even more MF, so that you could start pushing 4 stat yellows off the table (you can't get that much, period, even for elites), only then would you be improving the ratio of things worth having to things picked up and identified. I don't know what the corresponding MF value is for such a thing, but it is probably in the thousands.
    No. More MF yields higher quality rares. Higher MF means a higher chance of that rare have more properties. Also more leg/sets which means also a higher quality in what you actually pick up. BTW there are no posted stats on the bonus item. From experience the bonus item is way more than average.

I normally farm MP5 or MP6. I tried MP4, 2, 3, 1, made me sick - not noticeably faster, took MUCH longer to fill up inventory with rares, never seen so many blues/whites since I can remember, never seen such low quality rares since 1.03, ... never again.
    You people who believe the Bliz stats for MP and MF, I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you...

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by gakky View Post
    No. More MF yields higher quality rares. Higher MF means a higher chance of that rare have more properties.
    Nope. You have a higher chance to get 6 stat rares, and 5 stat rares, but you also have a higher chance to get 4 stat rares. The ratio of 6/5/4 stat rares remains unchanged on everything except for the NV bonus drop.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6397790310

I normally farm MP5 or MP6. I tried MP4, 2, 3, 1, made me sick - not noticeably faster, took MUCH longer to fill up inventory with rares, never seen so many blues/whites since I can remember...
    Let me guess, you have little to no MF on your gear, and you're relatively low on the paragon levels?

...never seen such low quality rares since 1.03, ... never again.
    You people who believe the Bliz stats for MP and MF, I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you...
    There's no eye rolling smiley on this forum. :(

IncGamers Member

Nope. You have a higher chance to get 6 stat rares, and 5 stat rares, but you also have a higher chance to get 4 stat rares. The ratio of 6/5/4 stat rares remains unchanged on everything except for the NV bonus drop.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6397790310
    Article actually states the 6/5/4 ratio does go up.

Let me guess, you have little to no MF on your gear, and you're relatively low on the paragon levels?
    paragon 50.