Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    IncGamers Member LozHinge the Unhinged's Avatar
    BattleTag FTITCTAJ

Re: US Soldiers (Afghanistan) How good are they?

I could have gotten in on the ground floor in the newly burgeoning trebuchet market but I didn't have the $2000 handy to send to Nigeria as start-up funds.

Boy is my face red now. <<< colour-blind

Europe Trade Moderator krischan's Avatar

100 Taliban will lose versus 20 soldiers in an open fight, so that's obviously why they aren't doing it. They will attack from hidden positions, lay bombs, mix with the civilians etc., to wear out the soldiers.

The only way to defeat partizans is having the consent of a vast majority of the people (Germany after WW2), brainwashing (North Korea), assimilation (Tibet), expulsion , enslavement or genocide (the latter three happened through all human history). If the soldiers want to win an a long term, they will have to decide for one of the options and stick to it as well (or badly) as possible.
    D3 Trading Forums: Europe - America
    Diablo Wiki / Arreat Summit / ATMA / Forum Rules / Adria
    You know I'm born to lose / and gambling is for fools / but that's the way I like it, baby / I don't want to live forever!

Quote Originally Posted by LozHinge the Unhinged View Post
    Raquel Welch, fer shure. Carrera is a dog with fleas.
    Hey, Carrera is hawt, just not as much so.

Brit paras, SAS, SBS ... they've always struck me as the real deal - as much for what I haven't heard about them as much as the stories about their actual exploits.

I knew an ex-SAS chap. No fuss, no bluster - just an encompassing sense of competence.
    Unit size has quite a lot to do with it, IMO, probably because the larger an organization becomes, the less cohesive it becomes. My freshman Military Science instructor was a member of the LRRP teams in Vietnam. Kindly old grandpa-guy, and once you got some beers in him he'd tell you stories that would make your toes curl.
    Quote Originally Posted by BobCox2 View Post
    Again you are not going to get a pitched battle in this theater.
    It would make no sense for them when this stuff is so much more effective.
    Just so. The reason they're less successful is likely due to terrain; just because a guerrilla can hide in mountains doesn't mean he can run away into them quickly. Plus there's basically no concealment, so the Lefty claims of "Vietnam all over again" really aren't true of Afghanistan and were never true for Iraq.
    Quote Originally Posted by krischan View Post
    The only way to defeat partizans is having the consent of a vast majority of the people (Germany after WW2), brainwashing (North Korea), assimilation (Tibet), expulsion , enslavement or genocide (the latter three happened through all human history). If the soldiers want to win an a long term, they will have to decide for one of the options and stick to it as well (or badly) as possible.
    That's correct. The U.S. doesn't have the stomach for what is necessary, and the Afghans don't really have a society that is cohesive enough to embrace civilization even if we did. In some ways, I think we ought to simply help convert the tribal structure into a Republican model; it would probably be much stronger than the kleptocratic model that both we and the USSR seem to be willing to back.

BattleTag Ask me!

I just want to let you all know that I've read all your posts and I'm thankful you took your time to respond. Having real soldiers share their experience is far more informative rather than watching a program on Discovery. So thanks again for making me a little more informed about the US military!

Figure this ought to be posted. Yeah.

I think it's worth noting that some of SSG Romesha's 30 kills that day included these goatfeckers trying to steal American corpses. Yet we're shocked and outraged when some of our soldiers desecrate their corpses (by urinating on them)?

BattleTag FTITCTAJ

I guess it's all about holding yourself to a higher standard than that of the enemy you despise. But yeah, I feel some of your rage.

I guess it's all about holding yourself to a higher standard than that of the enemy you despise. But yeah, I feel some of your rage.
    Oh, I'm not making excuses for our shortcomings, to be sure; there's just a hell of a lot made out of them and nothing ever mentioned about our enemies.

Apparently that one video about the soldier flinging a puppy off a cliff wasn't a hoax (the LCpl was simply discharged), there was that squad leader who led the "Kill Team" that murdered three Afghani civilians, and there was a 14-year-old Iraqi girl who was raped and then murdered along with her whole family.

What ticks me off (as you already found out) is when we're painted as being no different from the enemy. Same thing with the Israelis.

BattleTag FTITCTAJ

Yeah, I see that. The most positive interpretation I can come up with is that the West would liked to be a civilising, moderating influence on the Middle -Eastern crazies ... rather than be seen to be just as frothy-at-the-mouth as they are.

No ... I can't even convince myself of this, I wouldn't bother to refute it

No ... I can't even convince myself of this, I wouldn't bother to refute it
    Not sure what you're saying - or meaning. Yes, we were and are a civilizing influence, and anything that plays into our enemies hands dilutes that influence. Doesn't really matter whether it's a real Marine throwing a puppy off a cliff (considering the Muslim attitude to canines) or some limp-wristed Leftist pantywaist whining about how we can't attack Muslims during Ramadan because we ought to consider their sensibilities. Ramadan certainly hasn't stopped Muslims from merrily slaughtering each other, or getting drunk off their arses for that matter - again, personal anecdote.

BattleTag FTITCTAJ

I'm just suggesting that some of the diatribe I've seen from you, Merv - and plenty of others - against Muslims, well it serves one of two purposes. It's either to gee up resistance amongst Westerners against the Forces of Terror or it's to somehow persuade Islam that peaceful co-existence with the West is possible. Yes, one of those is a trick answer.
    Actually, both answers are trick as neither approach is in any sane way commensurate with the idea of "civilising influence".

I'd really like to believe that we could do what we did with the Soviet Union, to Islam. That is, persuade them to "join us" (economically speaking, not in the religious sense - wow, isn't Religion divisive?) as they cannot possible "beat us". But I won't see that in my lifetime. For some reason, Islam has stronger legs than Christianity, more stamina. Maybe that will change once the scourge of affluence hits the Muslim world in a more pervasive way.

Nope, I have no idea what I'm saying either.