Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
    IncGamers Member
    BattleTag fenrir-2588

WD Help/Recommendations

I switched over from a Barb and would say I'm still rather new to high lvl play of WDs. I'm looking for any help on builds or itemization you may see. I'm trying to complete the Zuni set but its quite expensive as you may already know.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/F.../hero/11460816

I can do act III but just have most of my problems with the Reflect Damage mobs. What is the best way (besides stacking defense/lifesteal) to deal with these mobs?

Should I stick to one summon pet, Garg or Dogs, and replace it with maybe Spirit Walk?

Should I sacrifice Pierce the Veil for another defensive passive?

Re: WD Help/Recommendations

As for reflect.

1. Good mitigation, get 60k hp and about 700-800 all resist (total resist items+inteligence, included soul harvest).
    2. Weapon with life steal
    3. Some passives with DR, maximum is: jungle fortitude + bad medicine + dogs with health link, that is 50% DR
    4. Pickup range radius + extra health from globes stack (stack about 20-30k, don't buy items that have less than 10k~ each)

or

Kill quickly under spirit walk.

or

Don't use bears vs reflect pack, use lower dps skill, that is a solution too.

Most people build just high dps, and acceptable survival WD, and they run solo games, where they kill elites so fast, reflect is not an issue.
    Problems start in co op games, and especially in 1.05 at higher monster power setting, where you just can't kill fast enough. You need to handle long period of time, dpsing pack of elites with bears. Most of WD that speedfarm 1.04 in solo games, once they switch to 1.05 and try higher MP, instantly kill themselves vs reflect packs.

And remember, you need multiple lines of defense to tank reflect, can't just buy life steal weapon, you gonna kill yourself very quickly, it must be combination of decent stats, life steal, health globes and defensive passives. Reflect is that hard to survive for WD, mainly because bears deal unproportionally high damage (given then all can hit at once).

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by aerial View Post
    Don't use bears vs reflect pack, use lower dps skill, that is a solution too.

Most people build just high dps, and acceptable survival WD, and they run solo games, where they kill elites so fast, reflect is not an issue.
    Problems start in co op games, and especially in 1.05 at higher monster power setting, where you just can't kill fast enough. You need to handle long period of time, dpsing pack of elites with bears. Most of WD that speedfarm 1.04 in solo games, once they switch to 1.05 and try higher MP, instantly kill themselves vs reflect packs.

And remember, you need multiple lines of defense to tank reflect, can't just buy life steal weapon, you gonna kill yourself very quickly, it must be combination of decent stats, life steal, health globes and defensive passives. Reflect is that hard to survive for WD, mainly because bears deal unproportionally high damage (given then all can hit at once).

This is how I play, I tried splinters but IMO they just suck so I switched back to Rain of Toads which doesn't show on the page yet. :\

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/d.../hero/11768498

With this build and gear I can destroy any pack in act 3 in matter of seconds and I even swapped in Spirit Vessel because I hate to get exploded by the Lunatic bomber squad in Keep 2.

If I push it , I can do 50 mil exp per hour by doing strict route with mass mobs inside (keep2, arreat2).

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag fenrir-2588

Thanks for the help.

I completed the Zuni set and now considerable lighter in the wallet but it provides great mana regen.

For Reflect Damage mobs, I now Spirit Walk > Soul Harvest > Spam Zombie Bears. Once Spirit Walk is up, run for globes! Spam Spiders. Then repeat once Spirit Walk is back up.

I never realized how much Health Globes help the WD so much especially with the passive Gruesome Feast. When you combine the bonuses from Gruesome Feast, Soul Harvest, and Pierce the Veil, you get massive damage boosts. I sit at 64k base DPS but I've seen it spike to over 100k+.

I am currently working on maybe getting a new mainhand next and tweaking my build a bit. Maybe Grave Injustice as a passive. I really like Corpse Spiders but I might have to change to Toads for the better LOH procs.

IncGamers Member

I haven't had many problems with Reflects damage once I got a 2hander with life steal at 4.6%.
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/M...7/hero/2080203

Siegebreaker was too much though since he has more life than most elites.
    Az puddles, I can't stand there forever, but I can stand there long enough to drop Az.

They still hurt, but between running in, SH, Mass Confusion, SW, and then bears, I can usually drop at least 2 elites of even the most annoying elites, if not all of them in one go.

I also find PtV is un-necessary once you can get about 37.5k DPS at 1.0 attack speed, including about 150% crit damage and 15% crit chance.

Also as one can see in my profile, I have about 550 AR with everything added together (580 physical iirc) and 4.5k armor with 15% enchantress. I think that's about 67% from AR and 63% from armor. Before life steal I was really hurting from the reflects damage, but afterwards I've been more or less fine. Reflects damage are really easy if you can run past them, kill some trash, collect health globes, and then run back with a fresh SW and full mana sphere.

If you can kill stuff quickly and have at least one item with pickup radius, you can* play with bears/GI/GF.
    *You have to be able to run in to a pack, drop SH damage rune, and bears them all with one shot in most case.

IncGamers Member

I don't have any problem with reflect damage, but I have 1700 life regen, 1100 Life on Hit, 5.1K armor, 800 AR (fire/physical/arcane), and a paltry 29K DPS. Hopefully as I continue to find upgrades that increase my DPS without sacrificing defense, reflect won't become a problem.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/G...8/hero/5267103

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag fenrir-2588

I replaced Pierce the Veil with Grave Injustice and liking it. The DPS loss is neglible but it does allow you to spam zombie bears much more.

I think one of my issues is that Corpse Spider LOH procs are abysmal. I realized only the jar triggers LOH which is lame! I changed to Rain of Toads and it is much more manageable against Reflect Damage.

IncGamers Member

Acid cloud for the loh builds, toads are annoying but they go over wallers walls.

dps builds - bears use life leach, spiders with bears are the mana spiders, widow makers i believe

anyone who has base 90k dps and higer without the skill boost should have no problems anywhere in inferno when playing solo, the game is ez mode at that point

playing around the ptr on mp 7+ i found loh 380 did not cut it with the damage reflects using acid clould for the primary attack, it gets by just fine in 1.04 and with seigebreaker

does anyone else have any comments on the ptr and loh?

Whoever says has no problem with reflect, try ptr with high mp. If you can kill fast in 1.04 it is absolutely no issue.
    There is also part, that in 1.05 reflect can't be dodged, so you take more damage from it.

If you encounter 50 million hp elite with reflect, there will be 0 health globes for for example 30 seconds, you will not get any life "on kill" either. 3s of bears during spirit walk, then wait for new one? Long elite fight turns into eternity with such strategy.

Alternatively aside from resistance & defensive build, There's this build which relies on high Dps output but sacrifices much resistances, hence DPS build, which is not as expensive as zuni. this link that does 193k DPS Witch Doctor build (buffed Soul Harvest) http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/top...0196389?page=1
    Last edited by andrern; 20-10-2012 at 07:53.