Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 4 of 74 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Re: Things you hate because they're pointless and stupid - continued.

Quote Originally Posted by jmervyn View Post
    The other problem is having to be face-to-face. Yesterday morning was started by a Special Education teacher (we can't call them retarded anymore, either in profession or in nature) showing up at my office telling me her computer had no power. The inference was that I was to drop everything I may have been doing (in this case, changing our network routing) and go to her office to fix her problem.
    Been there done that. In my case though the person filed a complaint to my boss, who dropped by the office later and asked what all the fuss was about. We luckily are on good terms though, and he just sort of laughed it off. Strange thing is I wasn't even rude. I apologized and said I wouldn't have time right now, since most of our network was down, and I had to get that back up and running first. I promised to place her on the top of the priority list, as soon as the problem was solved, but that didn't help. For some reason a lot of teachers just can't handle connecting a laptop to a projector and amplifier/sound system. Not even when everything is set up so that you just plug in and press the power on button. Every other button that will screw with the setup has been taped over/labeled as DO NOT TOUCH EVER OR YOU KILL LITTLE BABIES AND KITTEHS! Still they mess it up. >_>

Well I guess it wasn't as official a complaint as I made it sound like, she basically just went to the guy, *****ed about me not helping and that he had to have a chat with me.

These accurately reflect my life. No joke. The only one I can't find is where the users chase him with torches & pitchforks and eventually lynch him from a light-post.
    Used to reflect mine as well! But my current job... sweet jesus it's a dream come true for Helldesk support! There's even 2 guys who sometimes solve issues that are usually on my table, but they never get reported in. Ofc I've said they can just inform me of the issue, and I'll happily solve it for them. Each time they've said I already have tons of stuff to do from before, so they don't mind lending a hand if they can. How awesome is that?
    Unofficial Incgamers Clan - The Red One

Quote Originally Posted by kestegs View Post
    so is Bieber pointless or just women in general?

Quote Originally Posted by korialstraz View Post
    Been there done that. In my case though the person filed a complaint to my boss, who dropped by the office later and asked what all the fuss was about.
    I once had a racism-tinged complaint because I was hauling arse from one side of a complex to another and didn't stop on demand to lick a particular middle-manager's boot... claim was essentially that I was too "brusque".
    For some reason a lot of teachers just can't handle connecting a laptop to a projector and amplifier/sound system. Not even when everything is set up so that you just plug in and press the power on button. Every other button that will screw with the setup has been taped over/labeled as DO NOT TOUCH EVER OR YOU KILL LITTLE BABIES AND KITTEHS! Still they mess it up. >_>
    Ah, I didn't realize your user cesspool so closely resembles mine; you'll appreciate this: "The last technological innovation teachers embraced was the chalkboard!" The organization's local Superintendent echoed a lengthy spiel about having to embrace technology (again) as part of an emphasis on math & science, and then I had to come in two hours early (0500) just to place the VTC call for him. In other words, the pressing of two buttons.
    sweet jesus it's a dream come true for Helldesk support! There's even 2 guys who sometimes solve issues that are usually on my table, but they never get reported in.
    I used to have four "helpers", but the two clerks were sullen & antagonistic, so I'm better off without them. The other two are technology teachers, and I stay on good terms with them, but even they have the backing of the union so when it comes to the truly stupid demands they can slough them off. Plus, both of them are women in their 50's, and they're not about to get on ladders, in ceilings, or lift any equipment. Mind you, I'm not supposed to either, but if I don't then the hostility escalates rapidly.

I once had a racism-tinged complaint because I was hauling arse from one side of a complex to another and didn't stop on demand to lick a particular middle-manager's boot... claim was essentially that I was too "brusque".
    Heh. **** like that unfortunately happens, especially with people who can't see further than their own needs. At least in certain areas. Kinda strange, since they can be masters at planning for the future in other areas.

Ah, I didn't realize your user cesspool so closely resembles mine; you'll appreciate this: "The last technological innovation teachers embraced was the chalkboard!" The organization's local Superintendent echoed a lengthy spiel about having to embrace technology (again) as part of an emphasis on math & science, and then I had to come in two hours early (0500) just to place the VTC call for him. In other words, the pressing of two buttons.
    Used to, and it wasn't technically my users, as I was an apprentice back then! But yea they sound very similar. :P And the chalkboard bit is so true on so many levels for so many teachers!!!! If I end up working at a school at some point in the (distant) future, at least I'll know there is some new blood in there, which should help a bit (I hope).

I used to have four "helpers", but the two clerks were sullen & antagonistic, so I'm better off without them. The other two are technology teachers, and I stay on good terms with them, but even they have the backing of the union so when it comes to the truly stupid demands they can slough them off. Plus, both of them are women in their 50's, and they're not about to get on ladders, in ceilings, or lift any equipment. Mind you, I'm not supposed to either, but if I don't then the hostility escalates rapidly.
    Atm I have I'd say 2, although there's a whole team of IT guys working on day to day cases, as well as a development team. But I'm the only guy that's physically present at the office I work in, so I run a lot of the more first line type cases there, but hopefully (and chances are looking good if I can get the contract nailed) that I can move up. Anyway 2 guys, 1 who have IT education, and another whom I didn't trust so much at first, but has shown to be of great help in certain situations. But I can lean on around 4-5 people total, at least until I can get up and running 100% on all the systems and stuff. And there are lots of them, so it might take a bit of time. But when it comes to most of the physical stuff, I'm still the sole guy responsible, seeing as IT equipment is locked up in a storage room.

But all things considered, this is almost a dream place for helpdesk. People can actually disconnect, move and connect a computer, monitor and peripheral equipment without aid! Well most of them anyway. And they know to do the most basic of basic troubleshooting before asking for help, and the 2 I mentioned sometimes do very extensive troubleshooting beforehand. ^_^

Anyway! Things that are pointless and stupid... Muscle ache, or any pain/ache for that matter. Not sure what's causing it, but last couple days, my elbow has been aching. It sucks. -.-

IncGamers Member Leopold Stotch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by krischan View Post
    You are probably talking about something from 5 years ago, but it didn't become much worse. I found noticably more hairs in the shower for a few months, but that has stopped for now. Not whole bushels, just more than usual.
    I shed more than a house cat and since I dyed my hair (which is now a blondish pink... more pink than blonde) the dyed part falls out more.

Hey, i have no problem whatsoever courting bald guys. I'm talking to three at the moment. Okay, two are more friends than romantic pursuits, but still! My tastes have expanded to bald men and holy **** there are some mighty fine bald men out there! And I'm not talking those who are 85 years old and stooped! I'm talking about 30-something year old men who shave their heads for one reason or another. Man, some can pull it off really ****ing well! But they need to have hair on the face. Otherwise, they might slightly look like a peen to me.

If she doesn't accept an answer like "sorry, that would take too much time", you could ask her how many hundreds of them she's going to buy.

The problem seems to be that you are expected to to deny it without making her angry. US Americans might be a bit spoiled with super-friendly store clerks, waiters etc. and react more sensible to answers which they don't want to hear.
    I just ended up saying, "Ma'am, some have this and some have that. We have way too many heart stickers here to describe each one to you. You may just have to come to the store to check it out for yourself and decide."

this is so true! Despite signs hanging on restaurants saying they have the right to refuse service, i have never seen this right acted out. If that applies to restaurants, can it apply to retail too? I mean, there is a fine line between helping someone and being treated like ****. NO ONE should have to put up with that ever and you do have a right to stand up for yourself, esp. when the customer exclaims to your face that you suck. Yes, that happened last week and I nor Le Fat Man did nothing wrong. -.-

Quote Originally Posted by kamap View Post
    *Sorry mam I'm going trough a tunnel, krshhh krshhh, your falling away, I can't hear you anymore, sshsssssssshhhhhhhhh* hang up phone.
    problem solved.
    omg, I'm sooooo going to have to try that next time!

Jmerv, i actually have a ton of empathy for you regarding work. people always yell at the IT guy, and it's never their fault. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Stevinator View Post
    Jmerv, i actually have a ton of empathy for you regarding work. people always yell at the IT guy, and it's never their fault. :(
    Actually sometimes it is, but then we most of the time know all to well!

IncGamers Member Ash Housewares's Avatar

now I feel like I'm missing out on the moderator fun when guys like lionk come along

I didn't think there were people discovering internet for the first time still

BattleTag What Me Worry?

These people aren't stupid; they're at least as well-credentialed as I and often better (Doctorate level). It's just that they're sufficiently lazy and arrogant to want someone else to take care of them, rather than doing things for themselves (particularly THINKING).
    That's the worst!
    I hate that so many with a degree think the degree makes anyone without an equal one a Peon.

I often have to point out that I make 2 times as much as them so my time is worth more to shut them up and I can't do that if I work directly with them. I even had to slap the wife down over it a bit after she got her 2nd masters.
    On the IT subject, it's fun how the competence level goes up mostly with the money involved, & uptime requirements.

Help desk - low end - (if they are down, it's how big a deal are they, and what do they make $) % uptime goal Meh Who knows?

Network - Mid end (Lots of people down & how big a subnet and the $$) % uptime goal 99% at least.

Network + Telco - High end (If the networks down you better have some subset of phones taking calls at another site) % uptime goal Traditionally is 5-9's = 99.999%

If I get a emergency call day or night it's $$$+ because that the level I work at, and It's no fun hearing the people in the background crapping themselves over it, or worse thinking they can improve the situation by grabbing the phone from the tech on-site and yelling about the millions or $ per minute they are losing.
    But that really does not happen much because the level of competence you are dealing with is normally pretty high. Unless the owner/chief executive with the type A personalty is around, and when we do the Root cause analysis afterward if they held of us up getting it fixed by throwing a fit that amount of delay and what it cost them is included in the report.

That's the bast way to shut them up, So it's costing you $$ to be down OK so far you wasted $$$ yelling at me - do you want to yell some more or can I work on the problem?
    Last edited by BobCox2; 28-09-2012 at 03:56.

Pointless and Stupid? Asthma.

I've just spent most of the last 3 day at the hospital ICU with my brother (who's finally home today) who had a SEVERE asthma attack Monday night. And by SEVERE, I mean they almost had to machine him up. It took hours of breathing treatments and steroids to get him back to some normality, but even then, he had a greatly increased heart rate that they couldn't account for, even after the effects of the drugs they were using. It went on most of the time he was there. They did... everything trying to find a cause, but everything checked out great, so they put him on HR lowering medication which worked wonders, after some trial and error. He's never been in the hospital before, so he was not taking any of it well at all, and if I hadn't been there most of the time, he would have probably stormed out.

I don't feel like trying to play doctor on here, I'm too exhausted (yes, he smoked, past tense, now), but I just needed to say something. Thanks for reading.

BattleTag What Me Worry?

I'm sure he will better soon Techno.

All the best...