Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 38 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 750
  1. #371
    Europe Trade Moderator krischan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    33,222

    Re: Things you hate because they're pointless and stupid - continued.

    Ehh, jmerv, did I just get away with what I wrote in my previous posting?

    Quote Originally Posted by jmervyn View Post
    You're wrong there.
    I don't think that anything is working as a deterrent for people who are willing to commit crimes which might deserve death or long prison sentences, no matter if done for criminal reasons or because of being in an exceptional emotional state or whatever.

    So don't worry, it actually means that if a punishment isn't deterrent, it's no argument for not applying it.
    D3 Trading Forums: Europe - America
    Diablo Wiki / Arreat Summit / ATMA / Forum Rules / Adria
    You know I'm born to lose / and gambling is for fools / but that's the way I like it, baby / I don't want to live forever!

  2. #372
    IncGamers Member jmervyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    12,937

    Re: Things you hate because they're pointless and stupid - continued.

    Quote Originally Posted by krischan View Post
    Ehh, jmerv, did I just get away with what I wrote in my previous posting?
    You ninja'ed me, is all, but if you felt neglected and forlorn:
    Quote Originally Posted by krischan View Post
    That looks like a right-wing person placing himself more in the middle than he actually is.
    You first need to understand the concept of the Overton Window (an atheist wrote that, so hopefully you won't discount it as my typical linkage).
    Quote Originally Posted by krischan View Post
    I think that not knowing the location of the center is more of a problem of wight-winged people.
    "Wight-winged"? Sure, kris, whatever you say :rolleyes:



    Quote Originally Posted by krischan View Post
    IMO, the "right" ones have scumbags and dumbasses of a more umpleasant kind. However, that may not be the case if you do the "nazi=leftie" magic trick.
    I'd love to hear how you would intend to defend this statement. Oh, wait, silly me - that's right, whenever it comes to proving anything you vanish in a puff of logic.
    As for what you call a 'magic trick', it is pretty obvious that the NSDAP was a Socialist movement, one of a variety, and it was only after WW2 that somehow fascism was portrayed as being on the conservative polar extreme while all the others are liberal. That's the <real> magic trick - the formulation of a false dichotomy pretty much because the academic Left weren't happy with their bedfellows and rewrote history to pretend they weren't dry-humping monsters. You'll see the same occur at the end of the Obama administration.
    Quote Originally Posted by krischan View Post
    I don't think that anything is working as a deterrent for people who are willing to commit crimes which might deserve death or long prison sentences, no matter if done for criminal reasons or because of being in an exceptional emotional state or whatever.
    That's kind of what I said. For my example I consider my wife's aunt and uncle. They defrauded my in-laws, stole my wife's family jewelry, apparently used to steal from the dead when working at a funeral parlor, sexually harassed subordinates, were frequently in trouble with the law, physically and probably sexually abused their own children... and yet are "Laity" at their Catholic Church and receiving generous gov't pensions rather than being incarcerated.

    They're both hard-core Leftist Democrat Obama supporters, of course. It's completely understandable, since the American Democrat Party is the party of Envy and other vice.
    Quote Originally Posted by krischan View Post
    So don't worry, it actually means that if a punishment isn't deterrent, it's no argument for not applying it.
    Again, pretty much what I was skirting around. If one takes the nastier, utilitarianist view, there's no legitimacy in maintaining those who would destroy at the expense of others. Why should the society fund a life of indolence, no matter how stark and uninteresting, for those who will not be reformed? Far more sensible to pop a cap, as with the cited "Citizen X" movie.

  3. #373
    Europe Trade Moderator krischan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    33,222

    Re: Things you hate because they're pointless and stupid - continued.

    Quote Originally Posted by jmervyn View Post
    Oh, wait, silly me - that's right, whenever it comes to proving anything you vanish in a puff of logic.
    Yeah, this darn logic can be really annoying.

    As for what you call a 'magic trick', it is pretty obvious that the NSDAP was a Socialist movement, one of a variety, and it was only after WW2 that somehow fascism was portrayed as being on the conservative polar extreme while all the others are liberal.
    We had that debate before. Besides, who says that all kinds of socialists are lefties? BTW, I don't deny that fascists came from the socialist corner. Anyway ,the nazis aren't mere fascists. They have another few impressingly ugly facets.

    They're both hard-core Leftist Democrat Obama supporters, of course.
    Of course, of course.
    D3 Trading Forums: Europe - America
    Diablo Wiki / Arreat Summit / ATMA / Forum Rules / Adria
    You know I'm born to lose / and gambling is for fools / but that's the way I like it, baby / I don't want to live forever!

  4. #374
    IncGamers Member jmervyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    12,937

    Re: Things you hate because they're pointless and stupid - continued.

    Quote Originally Posted by krischan View Post
    Yeah, this darn logic can be really annoying.
    I'm not surprised you dislike it. Those and Wights, of course...

    Spoiler

    Quote Originally Posted by krischan View Post
    We had that debate before.
    Right; I won it and you basically were reduced to repetitive "nah-uh" without further defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by krischan View Post
    Besides, who says that all kinds of socialists are lefties? BTW, I don't deny that fascists came from the socialist corner.
    Well, we <could> quibble over what "Left" even means, but unlike "Liberal" it generally has a traditional interpretation of being the belief in collectivist nonsense. I'm surprised that you admit the fascists were socialists; you weren't willing to the last time.
    Quote Originally Posted by krischan View Post
    Anyway ,the nazis aren't mere fascists. They have another few impressingly ugly facets.
    Sure, but Maoists had a higher death toll and the Obama administration thinks they're just swell! Not many aspects ascribed to fascism aren't found in other socialist systems, and certainly not the deification of the State or endemic racism.
    Quote Originally Posted by krischan View Post
    Of course, of course.
    Then it shouldn't surprise that, despite being far more wealthy than my wife's branch of the family, they looked upon her meager inheritance as being their fair share. Should it? After all, we're being told that the Sequester is going to destroy the U.S. Gov't:


  5. #375
    Europe Trade Moderator krischan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    33,222

    Re: Things you hate because they're pointless and stupid - continued.

    Quote Originally Posted by jmervyn View Post
    Right; I won it and you basically were reduced to repetitive "nah-uh" without further defense.
    You didn't. You just refused to change your mind until I ran out of patience .
    D3 Trading Forums: Europe - America
    Diablo Wiki / Arreat Summit / ATMA / Forum Rules / Adria
    You know I'm born to lose / and gambling is for fools / but that's the way I like it, baby / I don't want to live forever!

  6. #376
    IncGamers Member Glurin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    965

    Re: Things you hate because they're pointless and stupid - continued.

    Quote Originally Posted by krischan View Post
    You didn't. You just refused to change your mind until I ran out of patience .
    In other words, "nah-uh".

  7. #377
    IncGamers Member Leopold Stotch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Trees
    Posts
    13,460

    Re: Things you hate because they're pointless and stupid - continued.

    Quote Originally Posted by kamap View Post
    Pass the dutchy to the left hand side, cause the right way is wrong.
    I love that song. Are you Dutch? Because if so, the above was brilliant!

  8. #378
    IncGamers Member Stevinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    chicagoland
    Posts
    5,003

    Re: Things you hate because they're pointless and stupid - continued.

    Quote Originally Posted by Technomancer View Post
    Most of the people on the left got sick of getting constantly tl;dr shouted down by jmerv's incessant conspiracy theories. He makes rational conversation impossible. Case in point, when the lefties go away, he turns his erstwhile allies into enemies and he's back in business.
    lol, I understand why you might feel that way. But I think it's important to understand where people are coming from to figure out positive ways forward. And by forward i don't mean into the depths of communism or anarchism, but to come to some semblance of a consensus on what the most needed priorities are and get people talking about it.

    His response to this below pretty much says the same thing but in mervspeak:

    Well, let's be real - perhaps 60% of America is socialist at this point, the President was re-elected despite obvious problems, and Europe is spiraling down the toilet. Those of us who get the brickbats as being on the "Right" are the ones deluding ourselves, if we think others have the wit or honesty to recognize where we're all going.

    That's what's actually silly about Ratt's claim, and it goes back to a point I've made here before. The false perception is one of a Left/Right continuum, as if there was a mystical place called the "center". The reality is that anything and everything done to organize a society moves it "Left" away from Anarchy. Those who are on the "right" simply recognize that going further and further Left is inevitably damaging.
    I don't think that's true at all. There most certainly is a middle. In fact, in my experience most people have at least some issue or another they disagree with their main party on. Sometimes these are big things that lose them votes (like me and the GOP) sometimes they are not. Actually, i find it frustrating that more people didn't vote third party on at least the presidential race, since I saw a lot of people that did not like either candidate. When you don't like who you've got, and you still vote for them, the parties don't learn anything. Even more so in states where the outcome is all but certain (again, like mine).

  9. #379
    Europe Trade Moderator krischan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    33,222

    Re: Things you hate because they're pointless and stupid - continued.

    Quote Originally Posted by Glurin View Post
    In other words, "nah-uh".
    I have a linguistic problem with that. What does it mean?
    D3 Trading Forums: Europe - America
    Diablo Wiki / Arreat Summit / ATMA / Forum Rules / Adria
    You know I'm born to lose / and gambling is for fools / but that's the way I like it, baby / I don't want to live forever!

  10. #380
    IncGamers Member kamap's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    belgium
    BattleTag kamap* / kamap-2813
    Posts
    4,096

    Re: Things you hate because they're pointless and stupid - continued.

    @Lepold Stotch: Yes I am dutch, I'm from belgium. As for it beeing brilliant, I have my moments.


    Left = the hand that when you put your palm down the thumb is at the right side of the other fingers.
    right = the other hand.


    If you check the dictionary left means:1. a. Of, belonging to, located on, or being the side of the body to the north when the subject is facing east.
    b. Of, relating to, directed toward, or located on the left side.
    c. Located on the left side of a person facing downstream: the left bank of a river.

    2. often Left Of or belonging to the political or intellectual left.

    n.1. a. The direction or position on the left side.
    b. The left side.
    c. The left hand.
    d. A turn in the direction of the left hand or side.

    2. often Lefta. The people and groups who advocate liberal, often radical measures to effect change in the established order, especially in politics, usually to achieve the equality, freedom, and well-being of the common citizens of a state. Also called left wing.
    b. The opinion of those advocating such measures.

    3. Sports A blow delivered by a boxer's left hand.
    4. Baseball Left field.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •