Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
    IncGamers Member

Update messed up somehow, game won't start

Grand. Simply splendid. So it went:

1. I click on 'D3' icon, eager to start playing (well, as eager as you can with D3 )
    2. 'Updating setup' (or something like that) appears, with a neat green progress bar
    3. Progress bar goes 2/3 of the way, then stops and stays there for 10 minutes without movement
    4. I click 'cancel' *puts on sunglasses*
    5. BOOOOM! I click on the icon again, only to be greeted by a little box that says: "File is being used by another program".
    6. I restart computer (took a good 15 minutes, maybe random, maybe related to this somehow) --> back to step 1, rinse and repeat

So... Any suggestions? What the hell kind of update was that, anyway? Something to do with 1.0.5. and the PTR? All other people peachy keen with that or someone having similar conundrums? Any advice before I take the blue pill and go back to D2, where you could actually find items and didn't have to deal with updates that messed up your game?

BattleTag nurman-2854

Re: Update messed up somehow, game won't start

Quote Originally Posted by nurman View Post
    Delete you C:/programdata/battlenet and C:/programdata/blizzard entertaiment folders.

Then launch the game again.

IF it still does not work, go to C:/programdata/battlenet/agent and rightclick agent.exe, make it run always as administrator.

Note: ProgramData folder is a hidden folder so you need to set them to be visible.

Attachment 3510

I had the same issue around a week ago and this is what I did.

Try this and report back

You can also try re-installing

IncGamers Member

Try this and report back
    I did and it worked out! Thank you sir; now I can continue my saga of constant disappointments. One good legendary in 300 hours... Granted a lot spent leveling alts, but still.

Now that I comb my head a bit, I seem to recall this same problem happening before, and the fix was similar back then. Turns out that the patch was simply 1.0.4., which I hadn't installed on this comp yet. I wonder if 1.0.5. will bring along similar nice side effects...

You can also try re-installing
    I *could* try water torture, too, but I'm not going to. It's already a great courtesy to install D3 once in its current state; twice would be overdoing it (imo). Anyway, my hat would be off to you, if I ever wore a hat, that is.

BattleTag nurman-2854

Glad it worked. The past month they actually "patched" the agent.exe that also poops up the SC2 & WoW.