Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

1.0.5 PTR Patch Notes - Barbarian

EDIT: Read some Wizard nerf threads and it sounds like the Proc Coefficient affects "on crit" skills as well, making edits below.

I'd like to start a conversation limited to this forum and hopefully to people who know something about Barbarians, since I'm seeing - around the internet - a lot of "omg barb nerf haha" and "delete Barb WW dead" and other foolishness.

Link to Notes: http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/com...-5-patch-notes

Barb skill changes:

Barbarian
    • Active Skills
      • Battle Rage
        • Duration increased from 30 seconds to 120 seconds

• Hammer of the Ancients
        • Increased Critical Hit chance is now based on the amount of Fury the player has when Hammer of the Ancients is activated:
        • For every 5 Fury a player has, Hammer of the Ancients has a 1% increased Critical Hit chance
        • Skill Rune – Smash
          • The radius of Smash has been slightly increased to help resolve an issue that caused Hammer of the Ancients to occasionally miss targets immediately in front of the player

• Skill Rune – The Devil’s Anvil
          • Movement speed reduction increased from 60% to 80%

• Leap
        • Skill Rune – Iron Impact
          • Now grants 100% bonus armor per enemy hit for 3 seconds

• Overpower
        • Cooldown reduced from 15 seconds to 12 seconds

• Rend
        • Rend should now more reliably hit enemies that are running away
        • Skill Rune – Mutilate
          • Mutilate has been redesigned to slow enemies by 60% for the duration of Rend

• Sprint
        • Skill Rune – Run Like the Wind
          • Proc coefficient reduced from 0.2 to 0.08

• Threatening Shout
        • Cooldown reduced from 15 seconds to 10 second
        • Skill Rune – Grim Harvest
          • Now also has a chance to drop a health globe

• War Cry
        • Cooldown reduced from 30 seconds to 20 seconds
        • Fury generated reduced from 30 to 20
        • Skill Rune – Charge!
          • Fury generated reduced from 60 to 40

• Skill Rune – Impunity
          • Bonus resistance reduced from 50% to 20%

• Whirlwind
        • Fury cost from 16 to 9
        • Skill Rune – Blood Funnel
          • Healing increased from 1% to 2% of Maximum Life per Critical Hit

• Passive Skills
      • Animosity
        • Bonus Fury regeneration increased from 10% to 20%

• Inspiring Presence
        • Healing increased from 1% to 2% Maximum Life per second

• Unforgiving
        • Fury regeneration has been quadrupled, increased to 2 Fury every 1 second (up from 1 Fury every 2 seconds)
    First, let's have the crucial Sprint discussion. My understanding is that the "proc coefficient" is the %age applied to "on hit" abilities and nothing else. Is this accurate? So the (Run Like the Wind) change is a huge nerf to life on hit. There seems to be confusion around the internet as to whether it is also a nerf to fury gained from (Into the Fray). My understanding is that it shouldn't be, since (Into the Fray) procs based on the crits from other skills and the crit chance of (Run Like the Wind) isn't changing. Is that accurate?

UPDATE: I read some Wizard nerf threads and it sounds like I'm wrong about this. They're saying when a skill says "when you crit chance to" the chance is based on the proc coefficient to the critting skill. This, by the way, explains something I've ALWAYS wondered, which is why these skills don't say how much of a chance! Answer is because it varies!

So LoH and Fury regen are both nerfed. However, Fury loss is offset somewhat by reduced casting of Battle Rage and by cheaper WW. I have no idea if these cancel out, but if they do the actual nerf will be to (Thrive on Chaos). However, I think I will still use it. I starting WWing with a crit chance of 18%. (5% base, 10% Weapon Master, 3% Battle Rage.) Thrive worked fine for an individual elite fight, it was just a lot harder to keep up against white mobs (died too fast). My current crit chance is 45% and 40% of that is ... 18%. So I think geared Barbs can still perma-Wrath during fights, but it will be a lot harder to perma-Wrath for an entire act.

As a WW Barb, clearly I need to get on the PTR myself and do some experimenting, but my plan is to see how my current setup survives and if it doesn't, to consider using the newly buffed (Blood Funnel) instead of (Hurricane), even though I have happily used (Hurricane) since nightmare difficulty.

I'm also considering, given the nerf to the Enchantresses' Powered Armor, switching from Enchantress to Scoundrel. I think the 3% crit chance would be a bigger DPS boost than 3% IAS, and 5% armor is pretty negligible. Crazy? UPDATE: Given the change to the proc coefficient I am liking this idea even more. Desperately need more crits!

One thing the above totally omits is the improvements to WW (damage last patch, cost this patch). Does this make WW a more important part of the WW build? If so, does that mean that really the build is just getting more expensive, since offhand weapon damage matters for WW?

Changing the subject, I think the HotA buff is very cool. Since HotA costs 20 fury, it will always have at least 4% crit (down from the current flat 5%) but usually loads more....as much as 20% at 100 Fury or 24% at 120! Before I switched to WW I played a full Fury build with HotA to burst down elites, and I have to say it is tempting to go back.

Those are the main changes I noticed, but they're also the only two builds I've every really played. Interested to hear everyone's thoughts on this and on any other changes.

And if someone can definitively explain exactly what the proc coefficient on (Run Like the Wind) does, I will definitely edit this post to make it accurate.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Sentarius; 21-09-2012 at 14:05.

IncGamers Member

Re: 1.0.5 PTR Patch Notes - Barbarian

Looks like HoTa build is the way to go...a 20% critical % increase on full fury is too good to pass up

You had to have known that they were going to nerf WW builds. They are just too powerful. Looks like i switched over to a tank build just in a nick of time

Sprint

• Skill Rune – Run Like the Wind
      • Proc coefficient reduced from 0.2 to 0.08

I started WWing in Nightmare difficulty before anyone knew anything about the Sprint build, so I am probably not going to change if I can avoid it.

But yeah, if one can rattle off 5 HoTAs in a row while using WoTB (Insanity) at crit chances of 75%, 71%, 67%, 63%, and 59%...good lord the burst damage.

IncGamers Member

well, i just thought of it somemore...

because of the nerf to Sprint from .2 to .08...that's massive. LOH is going to be reduced to 40%...so 2000 loh is going to be 800 loh. The actual WW hits are unaffected but still...the tornados are going to be much less powerful. I think maintaining WotB is going to very challenging post 1.0.5

IncGamers Member

another thing...mighty weapons are gonig to be important now for WW builds and fury generation

If you are a WW barb, go and get one in your main hand before the prices get outrageous. you want mighty weapon with Life steal because life steal is based on damage dealt so it should not be affected by the proc nerf in Sprint

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag bulvine-1904

Is LS affected the same way LoH is?

Would a mighty weapon help keep up fury in 1.0.5 more then an axe? The ability to keep up WotB might help more then the damage you give up from Weapon Master with an Axe/Mace.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by liquid_mage View Post
    Is LS affected the same way LoH is?

Would a mighty weapon help keep up fury in 1.0.5 more then an axe? The ability to keep up WotB might help more then the damage you give up from Weapon Master with an Axe/Mace.
    LS is based on damage dealt and it isn't proc'ed so it should be unaffected. Its already 80% reduced for inferno but if you currently have 70k+ dps and about 7-8%, you should be ok.

more and more people are going to be using mighty weapons for fury generation post 1.0.5

IncGamers Member

I can't imagine how the build will resemble anything close to it's current form. Changing that proc coefficient means we will see 40% of current damage, fury, and LOH. The main damage we do right now is from tornadoes. The "buff" to ww makes no difference there. When you add that in to the survivability nerf to LOH, it doesn't seem very likely we will be able to pull huge packs together anymore and survive--especially if we can't keep WotB up, and especially in the higher power levels. Combine that with the nerf to Impunity, and I think we will take a HUGE survivability hit. As for new gear, first, I'm not going spend another 50-100 million to buy new weapons that provide a half-assed solution to fury. Switching to mighty weapons is also another huge damage nerf that still wouldn't address the survivability factor.

Six months ago, I could never imagine the Blizzard could chase me away from this game, but--unless I'm completely wrong about the mechanics I listed above--this patch will do it. I've spent too much time and IGG on a build that Blizzard told us they wouldn't nerf to change, even if there were another appealing build--which there isn't. There is no way I'm going back to clicking on everything to kill it. And I have no faith in Blizzard not to nerf the next popular build in any case. It seems this group of Blizzard developers and I have fundamentally different ideas about what makes a game fun.

IncGamers Member

Nerfs to defensive skills won't make a difference due to overall lowering of mob damage. For example the nerf to Impunity by 30% means you lose 15% AR overall. Monster damage is getting dropped by 25% across the board, so you still have increased survivability.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Insicor View Post
    Nerfs to defensive skills won't make a difference due to overall lowering of mob damage. For example the nerf to Impunity by 30% means you lose 15% AR overall. Monster damage is getting dropped by 25% across the board, so you still have increased survivability.
    That's in power level zero. If you want to play there, you are correct. Current inferno is supposed to be ~ power level 2-3. So, from level 2-10 our survivability is certainly nerfed.