EDIT: Read some Wizard nerf threads and it sounds like the Proc Coefficient affects "on crit" skills as well, making edits below.
I'd like to start a conversation limited to this forum and hopefully to people who know something about Barbarians, since I'm seeing - around the internet - a lot of "omg barb nerf haha" and "delete Barb WW dead" and other foolishness.
Link to Notes: http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/com...-5-patch-notes
Barb skill changes:
First, let's have the crucial Sprint discussion. My understanding is that the "proc coefficient" is the %age applied to "on hit" abilities and nothing else. Is this accurate? So the (Run Like the Wind) change is a huge nerf to life on hit. There seems to be confusion around the internet as to whether it is also a nerf to fury gained from (Into the Fray). My understanding is that it shouldn't be, since (Into the Fray) procs based on the crits from other skills and the crit chance of (Run Like the Wind) isn't changing. Is that accurate?Barbarian
- Active Skills
- Battle Rage
- Duration increased from 30 seconds to 120 seconds
- Hammer of the Ancients
- Increased Critical Hit chance is now based on the amount of Fury the player has when Hammer of the Ancients is activated:
- For every 5 Fury a player has, Hammer of the Ancients has a 1% increased Critical Hit chance
- Skill Rune – Smash
- The radius of Smash has been slightly increased to help resolve an issue that caused Hammer of the Ancients to occasionally miss targets immediately in front of the player
- Skill Rune – The Devil’s Anvil
- Movement speed reduction increased from 60% to 80%
- Skill Rune – Iron Impact
- Now grants 100% bonus armor per enemy hit for 3 seconds
- Cooldown reduced from 15 seconds to 12 seconds
- Rend should now more reliably hit enemies that are running away
- Skill Rune – Mutilate
- Mutilate has been redesigned to slow enemies by 60% for the duration of Rend
- Skill Rune – Run Like the Wind
- Proc coefficient reduced from 0.2 to 0.08
- Threatening Shout
- Cooldown reduced from 15 seconds to 10 second
- Skill Rune – Grim Harvest
- Now also has a chance to drop a health globe
- War Cry
- Cooldown reduced from 30 seconds to 20 seconds
- Fury generated reduced from 30 to 20
- Skill Rune – Charge!
- Fury generated reduced from 60 to 40
- Skill Rune – Impunity
- Bonus resistance reduced from 50% to 20%
- Fury cost from 16 to 9
- Skill Rune – Blood Funnel
- Healing increased from 1% to 2% of Maximum Life per Critical Hit
- Passive Skills
UPDATE: I read some Wizard nerf threads and it sounds like I'm wrong about this. They're saying when a skill says "when you crit chance to" the chance is based on the proc coefficient to the critting skill. This, by the way, explains something I've ALWAYS wondered, which is why these skills don't say how much of a chance! Answer is because it varies!
So LoH and Fury regen are both nerfed. However, Fury loss is offset somewhat by reduced casting of Battle Rage and by cheaper WW. I have no idea if these cancel out, but if they do the actual nerf will be to (Thrive on Chaos). However, I think I will still use it. I starting WWing with a crit chance of 18%. (5% base, 10% Weapon Master, 3% Battle Rage.) Thrive worked fine for an individual elite fight, it was just a lot harder to keep up against white mobs (died too fast). My current crit chance is 45% and 40% of that is ... 18%. So I think geared Barbs can still perma-Wrath during fights, but it will be a lot harder to perma-Wrath for an entire act.
As a WW Barb, clearly I need to get on the PTR myself and do some experimenting, but my plan is to see how my current setup survives and if it doesn't, to consider using the newly buffed (Blood Funnel) instead of (Hurricane), even though I have happily used (Hurricane) since nightmare difficulty.
I'm also considering, given the nerf to the Enchantresses' Powered Armor, switching from Enchantress to Scoundrel. I think the 3% crit chance would be a bigger DPS boost than 3% IAS, and 5% armor is pretty negligible. Crazy? UPDATE: Given the change to the proc coefficient I am liking this idea even more. Desperately need more crits!
One thing the above totally omits is the improvements to WW (damage last patch, cost this patch). Does this make WW a more important part of the WW build? If so, does that mean that really the build is just getting more expensive, since offhand weapon damage matters for WW?
Changing the subject, I think the HotA buff is very cool. Since HotA costs 20 fury, it will always have at least 4% crit (down from the current flat 5%) but usually loads more....as much as 20% at 100 Fury or 24% at 120! Before I switched to WW I played a full Fury build with HotA to burst down elites, and I have to say it is tempting to go back.
Those are the main changes I noticed, but they're also the only two builds I've every really played. Interested to hear everyone's thoughts on this and on any other changes.
And if someone can definitively explain exactly what the proc coefficient on (Run Like the Wind) does, I will definitely edit this post to make it accurate.