Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Re: 1.0.5, the "Whirlwind" DH at long last!

Made a vid. With my current stats PL1 works quite nice, PL2 still is too much. Generally it is working (does not seem to be overpowerd but in line with other builds; the not having to stop mechanic is really nice though).

1 hand/shield seems to be viable. You would need Vengeance and Nighstalker and a high crit chance though. 2 hand/quiver works with Vengeance/Bat alone so you could concentrate on defensive stats instead of crit chance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjATH4ykbt4

So if you've got some really good items or lots of ingame gold you might try it out, as I'm not running around with the best items (btw: it's possible to get 90%+ crit chance with strafe and some tests I did suggested that crit chance cap of 75% does not apply to bonus skill crit chance from gear).

IncGamers Member Such Violent Storms's Avatar

Nice! Awesome! Thank you! MP1 is currently bugged in that it's way harder than it should be, it's harder than current inferno even though current inferno should be MP3-4. So the fact you can do it on MP1 is awesome.

How is sentry working for you, have you tried with 2x sentries out at once? And what's your life/hit? For some reason I can't get to your profile. Again I can't thank you enough! Vielen, herzlichen Dank!!
    Last edited by Such Violent Storms; 27-09-2012 at 23:53.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Such Violent Storms View Post
    Nice! Awesome! Thank you! MP1 is currently bugged in that it's way harder than it should be, it's harder than current inferno even though current inferno should be MP3-4. So the fact you can do it on MP1 is awesome.
    Not in my experience from act 3 (act 1 and 2 get beefed up considerably at MP1 though). No MP is easy mode. MP1 is harder, but easier than current inferno, MP2 seems to be similar to now and MP3 seems to be harder (for my DH at least, Blizz stated that current difficulty should be between MP2 and 3).

How is sentry working for you, have you tried with 2x sentries out at once? And what's your life/hit? For some reason I can't get to your profile. Again I can't thank you enough! Vielen, herzlichen Dank!!
    I mainly use sentry as added damage against elites or really high hp monsters. Otherwise I might get some hatred problems. Might have to look, if chain of torment still can crit. 2 chain sentries work quite well together (but I can't be bothered to be looking out for another cooldown to expire), best is to place them close together so both chains will hit the same enemy (if the have been placed opposite of each other you will be in the middle).

It's a EU profile: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/P...07/hero/231168
    In 1.04 I'm running a Chakram DH though, so some items have changed. Poison Nova from Andariels is quite nice as it's a good damage boost. I don't have any Life on Hit or Life Steal. Most of my gained life is from Sp (Gloom; 5 seconds is really great) and health globes (got +5 health pickup on Andariels. Health Pickup should not be underestimated when you are permanently moving while really close to the monsters who drop the globes).

There are quite a lot of other options though:
    - Sentry with shield (another 15% damreduce)
    - SS or Vault (Jailers are really annoying)
    - Caltrops with Jagged Spikes (270% damage, diszipline instead of hatred though)
    - Numbing traps when using caltrops (another 20% dam reduce; don't know if it works with sentrys shield so that enemies in the shielded area would get the 20% reduce instead of enemies who are hit by the sentry)
    - When using 2 hand you might skip archery and nightstalker and could get perfection and numbing traps for example
    - cold damage in line with cull the weak
    - If you get lots of LoH you might be able to skip SP going for another damage or defensive skill (Jagged Spikes + Chain of Torment for example)
    - Legacy Nats Set user might try out SS Poison Bomb.

In my opinion only Chakram, Strafe and Vengeance would be really necessary (depending on you gear of course; take a fast 1 hand crossbow and you will need Archery and Nightstalker as well but might skip Vengeance). There are quite a lot of interesting skills to use that might benefit the build (and make it very hard to decide which ones to use).

IncGamers Member

Playing around with this on the PTR right now. I run dual wield with big LoH, so this build fits in nicely with my gear. Playing in MP2 (act 1) and crushing.

Strafe/Demolition
    Chakram/Shruken cloud
    Companion/Bat
    Vault/Tumble
    SP/Gloom
    Bola/Imminent Doom (for sh**s n giggles, would use Entangling/Shock Collar for real)

Archery
    Vengeance
    Perfectionist

I'm having some pretty major hatred issues though. I swapped out Vault for Prep/Punishment and vengeance for nightstalker, which works really nicely until you're out of both resources and then you're humped because you have no way to escape. Especially me with 0% run speed. So I switched back to Vault and at least that way I can escape and kite until I have hatred again, which isn't an ideal way to play but it works better.

Strafe works quite well with nightstalker though (and my crit isn't all that high), so it's tempting to use it. Perhaps I could get by with nightstalker and vengeance and dump perfectionist, even though the latter is so good right now.

My toon: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/K...3/hero/6279421
    (note that's my current live build, but same gear)

@Poekel: Ah, I see. I know Chain of Torment has a .75 proc scalar, so it will heal with life/hit pretty well, I don't know if it can crit.

@Kalixian: I think Nightstalker is pretty much required... If you're using 1H Crossbow, you may even be able to dump Archery (sounds crazy) for Nightstalker/Vengeance/Perfectionist. But I think dumping Perfectionist is okay for now ><

I'd also try switching Vault's rune to Acrobatics (10 second cooldown) for no resource cost... it may help to get out of stuff like jailer easier, may not. Then, you could replace Bola shot with Punishment, so you have both Punishment and Vault.

Strafe
    Shuriken
    Bat
    Vault
    Gloom
    Punishment

Archery/Vengeance/Nightstalker or Perfectionist/Vengeance/Nightstalker

If you get your run speed to 24% and keep a high crit chance, Nightstalker should pay off and make everything work, espcially with good life/hit!

IncGamers Member

I'll try that later, but I really dislike playing without a hatred generator.

My run speed isn't going anywhere. I have Ice Climbers which are just sick boots, but good ones with run speed cost ~infinite, sooooo yeah.

If you use Punishment, combined with just natural regen + bat, a generator isn't really needed. Also for movement speed there's Inna's pants and Lacuni at +12% each; you won't get amazing ones but basic ones are pretty good.

The patch is live, have fun blowing stuff up!

IncGamers Member

I'll try a trapper first. Always wanted to do that but the skills sucked. Now is the time .

The proc on Demolition is clearly enough to maintain LOH tanking. The question is how to pay for all the Hatred. We could try to do it exclusively with hatred regen like that found on gear or Bat Companion, but that makes us want more attack speed for LOH while wanting less attack speed to conserve hatred.

Instead we should maximize hatred gained per attack:
    1) Punishment/Nightstalker is clearly the engine, its the only way to gain hatred per Strafe hit.
    2) Crit chance should be maximized on gear and/or with 1h Archery.
    3) Vengeance increases max hatred by 20%, which means: increases hatred per attack by 20%. The health globe thing is just gravy.
    4) Perfectionist helps by reducing Punishment's cost; however, a 10% reduction is not better than getting 20% more crits by taking crit chance from 50% to 60%.

These are the best 3 passives to keep the engine going. Just as with double tornado barb, a lot of defensive passives look good, but the ones that keep resource engines going are the better choices.