Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    IncGamers Member Such Violent Storms's Avatar

1.0.5, the "Whirlwind" DH at long last!

Tank/Damage rolled into something awesome.

In 1.0.5, the DH saw some lovely changes. Strafe had its cost reduced, Perfectionist got buffed, Gloom got quasi-buffed, Sentry got buffed and we can have 2 out vanilla, we got cool new pets and other stuff. Strafe also got the ability to WW through mobs, meaning you can cram in a lot more hits.

First, the skills overview:

Passives
    Archery, Vengeance, Nightstalker
    Variants: Perfectionist (gear dependent)

Nighstalker fuels discipline as you rake in the crits from various skills (mostly Strafe/Chakram).

Actives
    1) Chakram - Shuriken Cloud; free damage, 33% proc scalar, breaks destructibles for you, and looks awesome
    Variants: none

2) Strafe - Demolition; strafe into mobs, it will AoE lots of them, 50% proc coefficient for Nightstalker and Life on Hit
    Variants: none

3) Shadow Power-Gloom; Mitigates damage and heals for tough spots
    Variants: probably none

4) Companion - Bat; Hatred regen
    Variants: Boar (gear dependent)

5) Preparation - Punishment; use it as your hatred extinguishes to fill it back up (fueled by Nightstalker)
    Variants: probably none

6) Personal choice:
    Sentry - Chain of Torment; The chain has a 75% proc coefficient (LoH, Crits) and deals good damage
    Sentry - Guardian Turret; plop one of these in a mob to WW inside it
    Rain of Vengeance - Dark Cloud; free damage that follows you
    SS - Lingering Fog
    Vault - Tumble, Acrobatics

-- You will use a 1H:
    ** 1H/shield for crit chance on shield and defensive stats
    ** 1H/Quiver for hatred regen on quiver, IAS, and crit chance
    ** 1H/1H for maximum life/hit and other goodies at the cost of crit chance and defense

-- Depending on playstyle and character durability, you may need at least one skill like SS or Vault to break Jailer, etc. Some DHs will just be able to tank through getting CC'd, though.

http://diablonut.incgamers.com/skill...syMTgzNTArMQ==

Video of functional 1H/Shield, MP2, with no Life on Hit (!!!!), 40kdps(courtesy Poekel):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=MVbpj0zR_yI

LoH, defense, crit, crit damage. Use discipline to fuel hatred. Use hatred to fuel strafe. Use strafe to explode things!

Also, strafe can get "+% increased crit chance" on Cloaks and SoJ. Don't bother with Mara's/Skull Grasp.

Happy demolishing!
    Last edited by Dorjan; 28-11-2012 at 14:00.

IncGamers Member

Re: 1.0.5, the "Whirlwind" DH at long last!

The problem is proc coefficient for strafe is very low :( not gonna give enough disc I think.
    I will try it though and a trap hunter as well as it finally seems more viable playstyle now.

Got a question on proc coefficients - entangling arrow and hungering arror both have one rune each which proc coefs >100% how is it applied in case of Nightstalker passive chance to gain 1 discipline? If I have 30% crit chance and use shock collar is my chance to gain discipline 1.6 x 0.3?

Quote Originally Posted by Such Violent Storms View Post
    Strafe for the win? We can WW through mobs now.
    The skills would look like this (a beta build, mind you):

Passives
    Archery, Perfectionist, Nightstalker

LMB
    Chakram - Shuriken Cloud; free damage, a little bit of arbitrary proc (?), and looks awesome

RMB
    Strafe - Emberstrafe; strafe through mobs, burn lots of mobs for more crit procs and thus more discipline (the DH's sprint nados)

"1"
    Some utility skill, like Vault or Smoke Screen, etc.
    **Depending on the amount of discipline you're getting, you could use Shadow Power here:
    - Blood Moon or Gloom to increase survivability, whichever is better, OR Shadow Glide, which would allow more Emberstrafe fire trail to be spread for more crits and whatnot.

"2"
    Companion - Boar or Bat

"3"
    Preparation - Punishment; key to the build, use it as your hatred extinguishes to fill it back up

"4"
    Rain of Vengeance - probably Dark Cloud

Get your crit chance high (1H crossbow for +10%) to fuel discipline. Use discipline to fuel hatred. Use hatred to fuel strafe. Use strafe to win Diablo.

Also, strafe can get "+% increased crit chance" on items like Cloaks and stuff like SoJ.

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Draba-2568

Emberstrafe will likely use the same mechanic as cinders, no yellow crits=no discipline. You'll need less than 1 discipline/second on top of the natural regen to constantly spin, certainly doable even with the bad coefficients of strafe and cloud.

For actually pulling the build off( surviving the strafe through mobs, actualy being able to fuel shadow power every once in a while ) the gear will be very expensive, though. Definitely needs 1h+shield without a budget well over 100M, and that may be a low estimate. With monstrously good equipment it'd probably be one of the fastest ways to kill ****( maybe even strafe/demolition is viable ). Too bad I'll be playing around with traps and sentries for a while

Quote Originally Posted by tomaszk View Post
    Got a question on proc coefficients - entangling arrow and hungering arror both have one rune each which proc coefs >100% how is it applied in case of Nightstalker passive chance to gain 1 discipline? If I have 30% crit chance and use shock collar is my chance to gain discipline 1.6 x 0.3?
    These skills get 2 procs at half of the listed strength:
    - 1 from the original attack
    - 1 at the start of the dot, if the target survived the main attack

I tested it for a pretty long time with sharpshooter and it seems like you can only get an NS proc off the proc on the main attack( makes sense as dots don't get yellow crits ), at the halved coefficient's rate( 0.65 for cinder arrow, 0.8 for shock collar ).
    You don't always get discipline when using these attacks at 100% crit chance and I've never got 2 without pierce on CA so I'm 95% certain this is the way they work. The 2 procs at halved strength part is definitely true.
    Last edited by Draba; 21-09-2012 at 11:58.

IncGamers Member

I tried strafe recently, and I don't see how the patch would improve the terrible damage, low range, and high hatred cost. With a 1.5 attacks/second and at 12 hatred and with a bat companion, you're looking at a 11/s net hatred drain. That's not going to give you a lot of time. I know you're relying on Prep - Punishment, but I think you'll need lots more procs from Nightstalker than I think you're likely to get.

Worth a try though . Let us know how it goes; I don't have the cash to rebuild my gear for this.

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag thefranklin-1107

The biggest problem of strafe is the low damage and non-piercing projectiles. WW hits all monsters you whirl around, strafe will only fire individual shots. There will still be a huge difference between strafe and other spenders.

Although it is very nice we could use it to get out of tight spots. Now give us back our tank DH caltrops!

If emberstrafe trail can't crit, then there's actually a second (perhaps better in the first place) option. The Demolition rune throw grenades which explode to hit more enemies than single arrows, and Demolition actually has a higher proc scalar at .25. With the number of enemies hit Strafing through groups, plus attack speed, you should be able to get sufficient heals from LoH and hopefully enough disc to fuel nightstalker.

The gear would be a few Hatred regen items, crit gear, and a smidge more tanky than normal. Remember Inferno is getting nerfed again in 1.0.5, so I don't think survivability will be an issue.

Lastly I've yet to decide on a 1H or 2H crossbow for Archery passive:
    2H is classic "moar damage" option; slower APS means less Hatred drain but also fewer LoH procs
    1H gives +10% crit chance yielding more nightstalker procs but smaller damage packets; can use a shield, although I don't think it's necessary.

I'm leaning more toward 1H.

I've used a Strafe build in 1.0.4. on my DH with a Hellion crossbow. There were some Hatred issues, but I also didn't have the best Crit gear and had no Hatred regen. One of my rings had zero crit, and most of the gear I bought was cheap just so I could try out the class. I actually think something like Bola shot might be better than RoV. The range is getting a buff, so it adds some AoE to clear big groups of trash quickly.

IncGamers Member

The only reason I've found to use 1h is to dual wield them with big LoH. Their damage is terrible compared to 2h + quiver. Blizz really dropped the ball IMO on allowing 2h + quiver because it completely throws off the balancing, which screws the dual 1h builds.

Edited OP to include Demolition instead of Emberstrafe, considering Emberstrafe trail of fire probably can't crit. Also added variant to fourth skill.

2x 1H crossbows is good for Life on Hit and the +10% crit chance bonus from archery, that's about it.

I wish the PTR was live.

Ok, seriously guise. I found out Demolition has a 50% proc scalar, and Shuriken Cloud has a 33% proc scalar. Spamming grenades from strafe in the middle of mobs and hitting stuff with shuriken while strafing should totally make this work, right?

I even came up with 2 new ideas: setting a sentry (sentries) with Chain of Torment while strafing through mobs is free damage, and it has a 75% proc coefficient per tick!!! Also, using bait the trap on a group of mobs and then strafing through that trap is an interesting way of getting more crit chance.

Could someone with the resources (high crit gear, decent stats, understands how it should work, smart brain) test this out? With both a 2H crossbow + quiver and 1H crossbow + quiver? I would but my I have yet to level my DH... :(