Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
    IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Javazon-1403

Has anyone investigated working of Cold Blooded passive skill?

This is kinda specific and maybe technical and/or confusing but I don't know where else to look

I want to find out if I can or need to use cold blooded passive, which states that "All damage dealt to chilled frozen opponents is increased by 20%"

this can mean 100 of things but I am only curious if one specific instance...

1. Assuming a ring adds 5% to cold damage... which afaik means it adds 5% to raw damage of the weapon. My weapon has + 200 min + 300 max and 48% enhance damage, so it should add 5% to each of the free...

2. I do no physical damage short of when I run out of arcane power, then it's just a basic attack

here is the question:

a) when I throw out a frozen orb, is it imbued with cold damage?
    b) is arcane hydra gets imbued with cold damage as well?

if yes for 1 or 2 or both then
    5% of cold damage, = what exactly, just 5% off top of my weapon (maybe 2k dps increase in cold damage) or all damage becomes cold?

c) cold blooded passive adds 20% to my total dps damage or 20% to the actual cold damage

thanks

IncGamers Member

Re: Has anyone investigated working of Cold Blooded passive skill?

a) there's no frozen orb (save for the proc on wizardspike), do you mean arcane orb? If so the answer is no.
    b) No.
    c) All damage, so long as the target is chilled or frozen.

The only wizard spell that doesn't explicitly change the damage type, but rather uses your basic attack damage type, is spectral blades. If you have a 5% cold damage item (or just have a cold damage weapon), spectral blades will chill targets, but no other wizard spells will.

The cheapest way would be to give a follower a cold weapon and let them chill targets for the 20% bonus damage (cold blooded)?

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by magicrectangle View Post
    ...If you have a 5% cold damage item (or just have a cold damage weapon), spectral blades will chill targets, but no other wizard spells will.
    Ray of Frost doesn't chill ?
    Blizzard doesn't chill ?
    Meteor / Comet doesn't chill ?

I know the descriptions don't specifically say "chill", but they do say "slow" and do cold damage

I certainly hope they chill or else I'm wasting a slot on Cold Blooded

if they do chill and activate Cold Blooded, will the bonus apply to any of the Hydras ?
    will the bonus apply to damage other players do ?

IncGamers Member

Re: Has anyone investigated working of Cold Blooded passive skill?der=0

I should have said no other non-cold spells. Obviously the spells that specifically say they do cold damage will chill, regardless of whether you have a weapon or SoJ with cold damage. What I was trying to say is that cold damage isn't passed from your weapon to the skill with anything other than spectral blades.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
    The cheapest way would be to give a follower a cold weapon and let them chill targets for the 20% bonus damage (cold blooded)?
    this. I recommend a buriza.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by DickScotchfist View Post
    this. I recommend a buriza.
    It isn't quite so cheap, but I'm greatly enjoying windforce + cold SoJ on my scoundrel. Windforce is pretty cheap, but cold SoJ will cost 1-2 mil. The end result is great though. Knockback, snare, and cold blooded damage bonus.

Yes, it is very decent, and used to be the best. I even ran with it for a time. In 1.04, the roles were reversed:

Buriza was the poor man's Windforce

Now it's the exact opposite. Thankfully, when the patch hit, I still had my old "cheap" buriza and sold my windforce + puzzle ring legacy almost immediately. Windforce+cold simply does not compare to Buriza now. I'm not sure of the price difference anymore, but if anyone sees a decently priced one, I recommend to splurge. Very awesome.
    Get above 50% pierce, 7% freeze
    Last edited by DickScotchfist; 30-10-2012 at 02:28.