Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Two (semi)noob questions, about Faster Run/Walk & Blizzard targeting

Hey. Two quick questions, if you allow. I took a break from D2 for a while. Playing a sorc, currently lvl 50, Nightmare Act 3. The build I'm going for is a standard Blizzard-Fireball dual build.

(1) After reading a number of guides and threads here, I get the impression that usually, teleporting is considered the prefered way for moving with a sorc. I get why it's so popular, considering how fast, secure and efficient it, and I use tp exclusively when I do boss runs. Howevever, when I do area clearing, I am still running 90% the time. Which is when the Faster Run/Walk boost really comes in handy. I'm currently using Sander's Riprap as boots, and their 40% Faster Run/Walk is good enough for me, but obviously, the boots are pretty awful otherwise. Any recommendations which item is better for that purpose? What do other sorc players do to increase movement speed? Or do most people simply don't care about that stat?

(2) Sometimes I'm having trouble hitting with my Blizzard. It usually hits monsters, groups or individuals, just fine, but sometimes, I cast 3 or 4 blizzards on top of one monster and still never hit it. It seems that some monsters are more problematic than other, e.g. maybe the most difficult one to hit are the Greater Mummys in Act 2. Is there a trick to hit them realiably, for example by not targetting them directly, but placing the blizz somewhere next to them? If so, I haven't found the exact spot where to place the spell yet.

IncGamers Member

Re: Two (semi)noob questions, about Faster Run/Walk & Blizzard targeting

1) Use rare boots with resists and FRW, or War travelers for MF ( they have frw too )
    2) Blizzard is like that unfortunately. Use ice blast on left button to kill stuff that bliz isn't hitting.

1) imo 30 frw dual/tri-res boots > aldurs > natalyas - depends what you need really, but i think good rares are unbeatable and aldurs a very close second
    there are other fine choices like war travelers for mf and sandstorm treks for fhr stats, silkweave/caster crafts for ES, but in general id use the first mentioned over all else, except for very specific and urgent needs

2) try aiming around them or shoot them down with your secondary skills: fire ball/ice blast
    blizzard hits random and works best against moving targets. you could also cast the blizzards randomly around your target. ive been told south-east of the target would be best, but from the orb-blizz comparsion thread i remember a different distribution

Quote Originally Posted by zaphodbrx View Post
    1) Use rare boots with resists and FRW, or War travelers for MF ( they have frw too )
    Quote Originally Posted by Krupa View Post
    1) imo 30 frw dual/tri-res boots > aldurs > natalyas
    +resist/FRW rares, got it. Guess my impression that FRW is generally considered useless was wrong...

2) try aiming around them or shoot them down with your secondary skills: fire ball/ice blast
    blizzard hits random and works best against moving targets.
    Sorry, should have said that in my original post, but I don't really have trouble killing them in the end, glacial spike works pretty well in those cases. I just wanted to understand why blizz sometimes doesn't hit.

you could also cast the blizzards randomly around your target. ive been told south-east of the target would be best, but from the orb-blizz comparsion thread i remember a different distribution
    Wow, I remember reading that thread a few years ago... I suddenly feel very old :/

I guess the problem with namelock targetting Greater Mummies is that they occupy exactly 1 "field" in the pattern, since they're small-ish, and since they rarely move, they never enter another field.

Alright, let's make the following assumption: (1) let's say for now that Miladys' blizz hit pattern is correct, (2) that whether a shard falls into a particular field is a random process, with the probabilities corresponding to the numbers in Myladys' graph, (3) that shard hit probabilities are independent of each other, (4) that a greater mummy does in fact occupy exactly 1 field in this pattern, (5) and further assuming that it doesn't move at all. Then the chance that a single namelocked blizz hits a mummy is only about ~2% -- a bit bigger perhaps, since he said he ran a little less than 100 tests.[*]

[*] actually not entirely correct, since each blizz consists of several shards that each have their own hit probabilty: the distribution chart *actually* says that, in the center, there have been 2 shard hits out of 100 x 18 shards falling in total (I'm following the estimate of shards per blizzard, mentioned in the same thread). So it's actually a 1-(1-(2/(100*18)))^18 = 0.019 chance that at least one shard hits a mummy with a single blizzard. But that's close enough to 2%, I'd say.

So the probability that a mummy is not hit by *any* shards after n times casting blizz is (1-0.02)^n. So after 35 casts of blizz there's a 50% chance that a perfectly immobile mummy still hasn't been hit. Seems too high, but then again, usually they start moving at some point. I should test this.

It would obviously be much better if you manage to target blizz such that the mummy stands in the 5 hits per 100 spot. Then, after only 13 blizzards the chance that the mummy is still not hit at all is 50%.

Problem is of course, when trying to target like that, the sweet spot fields with 5 hits per field are adjacent to fields of which some have 0 or 1 hit, i.e. if you don't target it perfectly right, you actually decrease your chance to hit a non-moving target.

I think I'll run a test tonight to see if my assumptions and calculations above make any sense. Also, sorry for boring the hell out of anybody who read this far.
    Last edited by oda krell; 16-09-2012 at 15:57. Reason: fixed math

IncGamers Member

Get really good tri-resists boots. Something like 30FF, 30LR, and 30 CR is already really good (of course with 30%runwalk.) No need to improve......