Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast

Re: Things you love because they kick arse!

I don't mind wasps. I just sweet talk with them a little, and they leave me alone. Although I have been stung, but it was my fault. It was crawling around near a window, and I hadn't seen it, so leaned my hand over to open the window and accidentally squished it. So the bugger died, and I got stung. Well it was a bit worse than a mosquito bite, but the pain passed quickly enough.
    Unofficial Incgamers Clan - The Red One

Quote Originally Posted by kestegs View Post
    so is Bieber pointless or just women in general?

IncGamers Member Ash Housewares's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dredd View Post
    I've never been stung by a bee or wasp and we have a rather healthy population of both where I live. Honeybees in particular are omnipresent as there are several bee farms in the area as well as wild hives all around my farmsite. I tend to quite a few flowerbeds and I've also been seeding wildflowers in areas that used to be pasture. Yes, I like flowers. Screw you guys! My pollen paradise draws not only honeybees, but fat, fuzzy bumblebees as well. They're all very docile.

Full disclosure: My sister would vigorously disagree. I imagine her perfumes and scented lotions offend the swarm as much as they offend me.

You must be referring to either mud daubers or Great Black Wasps. The former preys on spiders and the latter on grasshoppers, meaning they are my allies. I see mud daubers quite often but great black wasps are sadly pretty rare. They were a common sight when I had livestock but nowadays I only occasionally spot them while on nature walks.
    I've never been stun either, and we've got tons of em around here, and I have the occasional brush with them, many people in my WoW guild knew me as the guy who left in the middle of raid because his room was slowly filling with bees

we've got Tarantula Hawks around here, they're awesome, you don't want to get stung by one of them, supposed to be the second most unpleasant insect bite/sting in the Americas, Pepsis http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepsis

Hymenoptera parasitology is one of the few semi-interesting subjects when it comes to bugtalk with all the flaming looney entomologists I know

also much better than Brazilian bird-eating spiders are Brazilian Wandering Spiders, their bite can cause severe priapism!

Merv, you should totally do the bee keeping thing. The health food craze has driven up the demand for almonds, and Almond nectar is terrible for bees (like mcd's for us), but they need them. so californians are importing bees to pollenate the almond trees, but the bees keep dying. Makes the prices of everything bee related go up.

Plus, if you're far enough away from the city, the farmer around you will love you. If you're in the burbs, your neighbors will hate you. Excuse to move to the boonies!

BattleTag What Me Worry?

My dad was getting pretty serious about starting a bee farm some years back, but his ADD kicked in and found other shiny things to look at.

I'm not too terribly afraid bees and wasps anymore, but they cause my bro to jump out of his skin, and my sister damn near goes into seizures! Around here, the flying "stuff of nightmares" are Sand Hornets. These things are freakin' enormous!! We only started seeing them a few years back, but they are pretty well established now. When flying at a distance, they look like large brown, furry dragonflies, but NAY! Nay I say! When I first discovered them, I made it my mission in life to exterminate all of the trespassers! I did some research and found that they kill locusts, so I slowly un-freaked out and started leaving them alone, because **** locusts. Wikipedia says they are relatively harmless and docile around people, but they still give me the heebie-jeebies. I just live and let live now though, they seem to keep their distance.

Europe Trade Moderator krischan's Avatar

A friend of mine is keeping bees. It's a lot of work and nothing to earn enough money for the afforts, but it's certainly a nice hobby if you don't mind being stung from time to time (in spite of the anti-bee suit).

If you want to keep the bees near your house, find the consent of your neighbours. It might be just prejudice, but I heard that a couple of people in the US are rather trigger-happy with respect to suing the crap out of each other for silly reasons because of the high success chances.
    D3 Trading Forums: Europe - America
    Diablo Wiki / Arreat Summit / ATMA / Forum Rules / Adria
    You know I'm born to lose / and gambling is for fools / but that's the way I like it, baby / I don't want to live forever!

Quote Originally Posted by krischan View Post
    If you want to keep the bees near your house, find the consent of your neighbours. It might be just prejudice, but I heard that a couple of people in the US are rather trigger-happy with respect to suing the crap out of each other for silly reasons because of the high success chances.
    This is very true. I live in what some consider "upstate" suburbs - but basically, everyone in New York thinks that those who live a mile north of them are a bunch of banjo-strumming hicks. Even if you have relatively cool neighbors, there'll be some leftist judge-shopper in the vicinity whose livelihood is lawsuit trolling.

if the roads are curved and named after trees you're not a banjo playing hick. Not that there's anything wrong with hicks. Or banjos.

BattleTag What Me Worry?

Did you notice a sign in front of my house that said dead Tigger storage?
    Last edited by BobCox2; 21-03-2013 at 08:22.

IncGamers Member Leopold Stotch's Avatar

I was stung by a black wasp when I was 13. My swear words echoed off the trees so early in the morning. ^^