Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What can we do?

BattleTag nswhorse-1450

Re: What can we do?

The trouble in attempting to make this forum rival the original SPF is that the source material is, in my opinion at least, vastly inferior. Not that Diablo III is a bad game. Diablo II is simply that good. It's bit like The Legend of Zelda series. Ocarina of Time was so good that all its successors, despite being very good games in their own right, inevitably fail to measure up.

Quote Originally Posted by SnickerSnack View Post
    I don't know, but I have to guess that the D2 SPF had modest beginnings.
    Let me educate you then.

Prior to the SPF being formed, as a general rule anybody professing to be a single/offine/open battle.net was considered to be a down right dirty hacking cheater. It led to quite a few heated arguements and a few people leaving (temporarily such as myself) and the mods busting out the two handed cruel collosus sword of banning.
    The SPF was formed so that people who wanted to stand up as legit single players could band together and form their own community. The rest is pretty much history as the SPF as we all know it developed.

D3 SPF doesn't have such a "beginning" derived from a need. Unlike D2 there is no single player, no open battle.net, we are all tossed into the same pool as all the "online" players.

More to post on the subject but im getting too many interuptions atm.

BattleTag UnclePain-1924

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeous View Post
    Let me educate you then.

Prior to the SPF being formed, as a general rule anybody professing to be a single/offine/open battle.net was considered to be a down right dirty hacking cheater. It led to quite a few heated arguements and a few people leaving (temporarily such as myself) and the mods busting out the two handed cruel collosus sword of banning.
    The SPF was formed so that people who wanted to stand up as legit single players could band together and form their own community. The rest is pretty much history as the SPF as we all know it developed.

D3 SPF doesn't have such a "beginning" derived from a need. Unlike D2 there is no single player, no open battle.net, we are all tossed into the same pool as all the "online" players.

More to post on the subject but im getting too many interuptions atm.
    I haven't thought back to that period of D2 discussion in a long time (it was before the Great Wipe of '03), but you're quite right, I believe.

I would also have to agree that that game is still so new... things need to shake out. Maybe in a while, we'll see some oddball mat/pat threads as the new legendaries start to drop for people and perhaps make neat stuff possible.

That, and we still don't have the expansion. D3 currently reminds me a lot of D2C. Remember way back when the best thing for a bowazon was a well rolled rare gothic bow? We're not very far past that stage right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Painman View Post
    I haven't thought back to that period of D2 discussion in a long time (it was before the Great Wipe of '03), but you're quite right, I believe.
    Memory is a bit vague, but I thought it preluded the wipe of 2003 and possilby the wipe of 2001. I joined late 1999 a couple of months after release date (july 1999 if memory serves), got my butt flamed by several people dishing out on another self proclaimed "single player but i don't hack" so I left soon after. I posted on another D2 forum for a while untill mid to late 2000 when somebody told myself that there was now a single player forum at Dii for us. So I returned, worked up about 450-500 posts before the wipe in march 2001.

That's how I recall the events in amy case. Anyway, besides the point. back to the issue of the D3 SPF.

I feel that the SPF can exist with D3 along a similar theme. Players who either solo or multi player with other SPF'ers and self find items wise or trade only amongst ourselves and not the general D3 public.

For myself, Im outside of this however. Much as I loved d2 solo and using item mules then atma/go mule to accumilate thousands of pretty shinies, I find that this part of the game is gone with D3's restricted character and stash limit. How the heck would I store a D3 grail? Then there is the issues of trading with other SPF'ers across three different servers and time lines. I've got a number of fellow SPF'er in my friends list and I only see 3-4 of them online regularly.

So the exposure and potential to trade with other SPF'ers is pretty limited.

The other issue for myself is the attaction of the AH and the way the game is built around it. You could play self found and never use the AH if you wanted. But personally Im used to the shinies. Im a bit lost in D3 without my uberdin's, IK barb, 17k cheezer and tal rasha's forber. I'd never, ever be able to self find anything like those toys in D3 currently with it's current drop chance.
    So for myself I have to choose between self found and only find a handle full of legendries. The one's I have found are mostly monk and DH items and I play a wizard & barb currently. so practically if I play self found, I won't have the pretty shiny toys that I like and for myself, playing the game blizzard intended, a mixture of multi and solo play and trading in the AH, is more enticing while I realise that doing so puts myself outside the parameters of what I consider the SPF to be currently.

I've been a part of the SPF for a very long time as you can probably work out. So to put myself outside of it for D3 is a big issue for myself. Im torn between what I have known all these years and how I want to enjoy playing D3. Ultimately I feel that D3 is a flash in the pan game, that i'll enjoy playing it 2-3 times thru, similarly to playing mass effect on the xbox, then move on and play something else. This game is disposable so why does it matter if Im still a part of the D3 spf?

I'll always play d2 the way I have all these years. But d3 is a completely different kettle of fish without a single player off line mode.

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Randalar-1109

Just found a Maximus with crazy high int and fire%. I might have to make a Volcano Wizard. I have no idea what skill that will entail, but I'm copyrighting the name now!

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Xanthu View Post
    Just found a Maximus with crazy high int and fire%. I might have to make a Volcano Wizard. I have no idea what skill that will entail, but I'm copyrighting the name now!
    Nice! Probably meteor is the best target. Fire-based hydras are a little underwhelming, but the only fire-based signature spell is pretty good DPS wise, though not very useful strategically (erratic/short ranged).

Sadly disintegrate is arcane damage, that would have been fun :(

IncGamers Member

Was roaming through the forum and old thread and found this. And Asmodeous' post made me go down memory lane....
    Anyway, I have been thinking the same thing as mentioned here. It seems like there are very few people in this forum, and alot of people have either stopped playing or posting or both, while the D2SPF is still full with activity and not only D2 relatet posts. I know I like to come there now and then to read mat/pats threads and other stuff.

So I was thinking if we can merge the 2 forums and make it a Diablo SPF regardless of what version you play. That way we all can be part of the same community.

BattleTag mordell-1747

Quote Originally Posted by Caris View Post
    So I was thinking if we can merge the 2 forums and make it a Diablo SPF regardless of what version you play. That way we all can be part of the same community.
    If there was a D3 thread title tag, that would probably be okay, but then wouldn't all the d3 threads get buried?

And while I'm here:

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Xanthu View Post
    I found one of those too, and I'm using it on my witch doctor.

http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?830114-Wots-yer-build&p=8498735&viewfull=1#post8498735
    Last edited by SnickerSnack; 09-03-2013 at 15:35.