Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Re: Any Ideas how to make an effective build now?

Rush of Essence with Spirit Barrage and Haunt can be very mana positive. I was using it.

I run a DPS build with no LoH or life steal. Reflect damage hurts and takes the most time out of any type of elite affix.

Currently using Flash Fire fire bomb with Bears. I like flash fire because it bounces up to 6 times. With 3~4 elites, this means one attack will hit an elite multiple times. I can run away quite well with it. Fire and maneuver.
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/M...7/hero/2080203

I use SA, but VQ would work very well with Flash Fire because it will even bounce off the ground around corners, really helping you hit a target.

I used the following combinations:
    Mana dart with bears. Really good mana regen with a ceremonial knife and some attack speed. 29 mana * attack speed is very good mana per second on top of VQ or SA. Downside is one dart is as fast as splinters... I figured if I was firing one dart it would be about 2 to 3 times faster than splinters for cast time.

Splinters with bears. Splinters is still a very good attack and goes well with bears because it benefits from crit damage/chance and still does a lot of damage since extra darts continue past killed enemies.

Mana Spiders with Bears. I didn't get as much mana as with the darts, although I didn't get around to dealing with wallers as much because I abandoned it quickly.

Spiders with bears. I really like how the spiders work, now that they do damage and are fast. Fire spiders or leaping spiders do good damage.

Bleed. A "Proctor" is still good in my opinion. If one can afford enough gear to support it, bleed is ridiculously good. Acid rain and Rain of Toads proc really well. I also think burning or rabid dogs will still help, as they still can work well with four of them.

I haven't had a chance to try it out, but a particular 1-h weapon, "The Burning Axe of Sankis," adds 5~6% fire damage and increases fire skills' damage by 15~25%.
    Item: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/the-...-axe-of-sankis
    Skills: Fire locust, fire spiders, and fire bomb flash fire or ghost bomb.
    p.s. BOATMURDERED by a flowing river of lava.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Clock View Post
    I wouldn't say that. With the Draining Spirit rune, it actually returns more mana than it costs. For fun, I ran with a Haunt, Spirit Barrage Phantasm, and Locust Swarm build in Act 3 with the Rush of Essence passive. It killed fine and it was actually hard to run out of mana. Not to say that it was an optimum set up, but there is a world of difference between something being non-optinum and something being a waste.
    You can indeed make builds with Haunt and Spirit Barrage, but in my opinion they are inferior to other skills in almost every way. Choosing Rush of Essence should make spirit skills clear winners, since it doesn't affect other skills, but it doesn't. Filling a precious passive slot with it just so these skills become decent is not a great or even a good trade-off if you ask me.

Haunt would be amazing against weak, regularly moving targets (like the Fallen or the wasps), but Locust Swarm is simply superior in every way. It may cost double the mana, but it does so much more damage that I think it worth it in every situation, since it spreads very quickly. Restless Spirit should be a good single-target DPS skills, but it does too low damage for its mana cost. Haunt would probably be amazing even in its current form in PvP, where DPS is less important and you'll have to move around a lot.

Spirit Barrage is a much better choice than Haunt for what it does, but it still costs too much mana in my opinion. When I tried it out I found that as strange as this may sound, the Corpse Bomb rune of Acid Cloud was almost always a better choice, even against Elites, since you'll rarely find solitary targets in D3. When the Elites weren't close together I would just use Poison Darts with Splinter against them, which is practically free and still does very good damage. Spirit Barrage would be really good against bosses though, especially with Rush of Essence and the mana rune, if Zombie Bears wouldn't be in the game.

Since the skills I mentioned as alternatives to Haunt and Spirit Barrage are costly, I frequently use Grave Injustice and/or Gruesome Feast for mana management and they make AoE skills much more efficient. I run with an extended pickup range, which also helps. It isn't that hard to get +10 yards from gear (I run with +20) and it does wonders for your mana regen. What's also great is that this helps with every skill, not just the spirit ones.

I didn't do more than a few hours of testing with these skills, so of course I could be wrong about them, but I wasn't impressed at all. If someone uses them extensively, then please chime in. I still plan to try a pure spirit build in the future, because I like themed builds.

IncGamers Member Porkchopsamwich's Avatar
    BattleTag MagicJohnson-1447

Quote Originally Posted by MCPWTB View Post

I haven't had a chance to try it out, but a particular 1-h weapon, "The Burning Axe of Sankis," adds 5~6% fire damage and increases fire skills' damage by 15~25%.
    Item: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/the-...-axe-of-sankis
    Skills: Fire locust, fire spiders, and fire bomb flash fire or ghost bomb.
    p.s. BOATMURDERED by a flowing river of lava.
    Any big boosts to fire or poison skill damage for the witch doc could be amazing, and a good roll on that axe would definitely rule.
    I use a stone of jordan with 29% damage vs. elites, and that 29% is a huge boost. I'm not exactly sure where along the line of damage calculation the percentage is applied, but it's towards the end. I feel like it tags it on right before critical hits are multiplied.

IncGamers Member

Are there any new legendary items which have "Poison skills deal X% more damage"?

IncGamers Member Porkchopsamwich's Avatar
    BattleTag MagicJohnson-1447

Quote Originally Posted by MCPWTB View Post
    Are there any new legendary items which have "Poison skills deal X% more damage"?
    good question. I'm going to take a look

Zunnimassa's Trail (New Set Boots) is 7-8%

IncGamers Member

That adds poison damage, regardless of what attack you are using.

I'm looking for Poison skill deals X% more damage.

Stone of Jordan can roll with +5-6% to poison

Again, that's +5-6% damage to every skill, which becomes poison if the damage doesn't have an innate damage type (most melee attacks, Spectral Blade, etc).

What MCPWTB is looking for is the "Poison skills deal +x% more damage" affix, but I don't think there's one.

IncGamers Member

I haven't seen any yet, but I haven't tried a google search with regex yet. I've never tried that type of search, so I don't know if it works for this case.

Otherwise, I'm looking to get one of those new legendary weapons (or items) with a large amount of, for instance, knockback or freeze.

I can swap this out and keep rain of toads as an extra attack. For bosses or tough elites, I can quick swap weapons and start keeping them in check while slowly whittling away the enemy HP. I imagine this would work particularly well with multiple players.

I trade in BBV for RoT. I lose burst damage, but I think it's worth a shot. Keeping bosses in perma stun has worked well for me in the past.