Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 61 of 145 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111 ... LastLast
    Europe Trade Moderator krischan's Avatar

Re: Off-Topic in the OTF

So if blue laws are unconstitutional in the US, there are no Christmas or Easter holidays etc. by law anymore? Any employer can demand that people come to work on these days? What about Sunday?

Whatever, if religious holidays by law are disestablished, but people have let's say 5 additional holidays which they can put on any day they like and without the employer having a say on it (well, in theory), I would be fine with it.
    D3 Trading Forums: Europe - America
    Diablo Wiki / Arreat Summit / ATMA / Forum Rules / Adria
    You know I'm born to lose / and gambling is for fools / but that's the way I like it, baby / I don't want to live forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Stevinator View Post
    I do oppose blue laws, I just think recognizing *** marriage is the exact opposite of the blue laws, because no one is making you get *** married.
    No, I said you seemed to be endorsing Blue Laws, or at least condemning my condemnation of them. Queer marriage, OTOH, is not purely religious despite the desire of you lot to claim it is. It's social - if it were religious in nature then by your imaginary religious standards, wouldn't queers be butchered in the public square? Ditto for Islam - why would it be at least somewhat permissible in some Muslim-dominated nations, but be an immediate death sentence in others?
    i still laugh at your sneakiness though.
    Odd that you consider "smarter than you" to be the same as "sneaky".
    Quote Originally Posted by krischan View Post
    So if blue laws are unconstitutional in the US, there are no Christmas or Easter holidays etc. by law anymore? Any employer can demand that people come to work on these days? What about Sunday?
    Sadly, Blue Laws are not inherently unconstitutional; they are often defended using "SNEAKY" means when they ought be overturned. In your example, there's no legitimate reason religious holidays need be granted at all - most of the objections raised when treading into such territory is by the unions, which suddenly "Come to JEEZUZ!!" when their perks are threatened.

The situation is similar to the Democrat claim that presentation of ID for voting is explicitly racist. Black people haven't been scared of <actual> police racist oppression in over 60 years (I've experienced it personally, and it sure as hell wasn't in Los Angeles or Chicago); they're fairly aggressive about their rights and most fear of police is by the gang elements. It just makes for a really handy excuse to claim that the game is rigged against you if you already intend to cheat.

Quote Originally Posted by jmervyn View Post
    No, I said you seemed to be endorsing Blue Laws, or at least condemning my condemnation of them. Queer marriage, OTOH, is not purely religious despite the desire of you lot to claim it is. It's social - if it were religious in nature then by your imaginary religious standards, wouldn't queers be butchered in the public square? Ditto for Islam - why would it be at least somewhat permissible in some Muslim-dominated nations, but be an immediate death sentence in others?
    ?

This is what you quoted me on:

Quote Originally Posted by me
    I'm not sure how the blue laws relate to *** marriage, but I have an idea of how that might work in your head, and you're still wrong.
    And somehow you interpret that to mean I'm saying they both ARE related, and you've inferred some rationale as to why they're related....

Is it opposite day? If you say no, does that means yes, because it's opposite day?

And as for butchering people in public squares....I'm lost. That's not what i said, OR it's opposite. Let's declare opposite day over, and make it "take your meds" day. Also, until they kick in, let's avoid sharp objects.

Odd that you consider "smarter than you" to be the same as "sneaky".
    Perhaps not so sneaky if a ditwit such as myself caught on. You're slipping. :P

Sadly, Blue Laws are not inherently unconstitutional; they are often defended using "SNEAKY" means when they ought be overturned. In your example, there's no legitimate reason religious holidays need be granted at all - most of the objections raised when treading into such territory is by the unions, which suddenly "Come to JEEZUZ!!" when their perks are threatened.

Whatever, if religious holidays by law are disestablished, but people have let's say 5 additional holidays which they can put on any day they like and without the employer having a say on it (well, in theory), I would be fine with it.
    Some of the Federal Holidays coincide with Religious Holidays. I think whether a non-believer could come in on a holiday depends on what they do. It would not be very common. Most federal workers are paid for it anyway. They do call it "Christmas Day", on government calendars. Easter is a Sunday, so it isn't one of them.

Private employers can be and some are open on Christmas. Not many though. Take-out Chinese food being one common example. Some stores are open in the morning for last second food and gift stuff. Slim pickins though. Banks usually close early on Christmas eve. They used to make us stick around long enough to do the ATM deposits (just after 2pm weekdays).

Really, it was a wasted day. No one does much business on Christmas eve, if they celebrate they're either preparing to go somewhere or preparing to cook a big meal. Heathens are hiding because it's cold outside. My team would spend the day sipping coffee and kibitzing, sometimes we'd do a branch gift exchange. Occasionally a customer would come in and give us food, hugs and curse the bank for making us work. The regional managers would do a morning conference call then tell us to just email results. Someone always wore a Santa hat.

As for those 5 days, there was a system for that. Banks are closed on federal holidays UNLESS they fall on a weekend. Then the Powers that be would decide if we got them off. If they made us work, we'd get a floating holiday. 8 paid hours for full-timers (even if they would have been scheduled or less, but not zero--if you weren't normally scheduled at all you got nada), 5 for part-timers (same rules). Most managers made sure they had some BS excuse to give their team the hours. It was sort of unspoken that you would do this for your team. I'm not sure how it is in other industries, but I suspect most small businesses just shut down for the day (some longer). Why bother being open if you can't get anything done?

IncGamers Member LozHinge the Unhinged's Avatar
    BattleTag FTITCTAJ

[...]

And somehow you interpret that to mean I'm saying they both ARE related, and you've inferred some rationale as to why they're related....

Is it opposite day? If you say no, does that means yes, because it's opposite day?

And as for butchering people in public squares....I'm lost. That's not what i said, OR it's opposite. Let's declare opposite day over, and make it "take your meds" day. Also, until they kick in, let's avoid sharp objects.

[...]
    *applause*

I LOL'd. Big style.

*more applause*

BattleTag kamap* / kamap-2813

Go stevinator, go!

I can't follow the argument that going on cause I don't really care, but that was funny.

Also merv finding himself smarter then you, I see a big egoproblem sign flashing there.

Quote Originally Posted by kamap View Post
    Go stevinator, go!

I can't follow the argument that going on cause I don't really care, but that was funny.

Also merv finding himself smarter then you, I see a big egoproblem sign flashing there.
    Oh, I don't know about smarter. We're both bright guys. He just sees the world through some very polarized lenses.

You're the one who started it, claiming I'm still wrong when I'm always right.
    And as for butchering people in public squares....I'm lost. That's not what i said, OR it's opposite.
    It was a reference to your "creeping Papacy" insanity*

*For the visitors, Steve believes Dan Brown books are documentary in nature, that the Catholic Church is essentially the Illuminati and are behind all political decisions made, or at least that religious bias is a stronger motivator than any other including politics. Steve also believes shame is an absolute wrong.
    Perhaps not so sneaky if a ditwit such as myself caught on. You're slipping. :P
    Stopped clocks &c.
    I'll consider your failure to comprehend my awesomeness as being due to the language barrier. Particularly a failure to understand the concept of self-deprecating humor using false narcissism. I won't hold that against you; not everyone can be fantastic like me.
    Some of the Federal Holidays coincide with Religious Holidays. I think whether a non-believer could come in on a holiday depends on what they do. It would not be very common.
    For someone so ready to screech out against Religus Bigurtry, I find this remarkable disingenuous of you.
    Really, it was a wasted day.
    Why? Because of the social norm incorporated as a religious holiday. Religion is simply the facade; in like fashion the six-day work week has given way to the five-day work week, not because of Religius Bigutry but rather social preference.
    Why bother being open if you can't get anything done?
    Your lack of introspection never ceases to amaze... tell ya what, the next time you hear THE WON blathering on about the right to work, how his socialized medicine is going to improve working conditions, or how green energy will create jobs, you ought to study up a bit on the USSR's full employment.

Leftists, of which you sympathize and (since Techno's too chicken) are representative of for the purposes of discussion, believe that the existence of a JERB is somehow the begin-all end-all of economics, not whether something of value is actually being produced by the workers. It's the same spectacular stupidity that allows for price controls and minimum wages being considered wise moves.

BattleTag kamap* / kamap-2813

still thinking your better then me, I'm awsome so says my shirt.
    Spoiler

My other shirt says I'm perfect though.
    Spoiler

Blueegh Dan Brown, Blueegh the catholic church, blueegh any religion that is hypocrit and forces people to believe or do certain things, just let anyone be who they want to be.

still thinking your better then me, I'm awsome so says my shirt.
    I'm better than awesome? Well, if you say so.
    Blueegh Dan Brown, Blueegh the catholic church, blueegh any religion that is hypocrit and forces people to believe or do certain things, just let anyone be who they want to be.
    What about the "religion" of Atheism? Practitioners are FAR less tolerant than pretty much any Christians or Hindus, and most Muslims, that I've ever met.

IncGamers Member Leopold Stotch's Avatar

To lighten the mood...