Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 37 of 145 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787137 ... LastLast
    IncGamers Member Leopold Stotch's Avatar

Re: Off-Topic in the OTF

I always feel a little dumb when I have to go to the dictionary to look up the word I've never seen or heard. I feel like everyone knows it but me. The silver lining, however, is whatever word I look up I can use and won't feel as clueless next time I hear it. :grin:

LozHinge, why do you watch such horrible films? Seriously? I'd rather torture you with colorful ponies and have you hate every minute of it and regret such happiness than watch something so dark and "artsy" and "profound" and have you regret such atrocities. Whenever I go to the UK... It's on. Ponies, Adventure Time, Zim, and Powerpuff Girls galore!! I'm gonna torture you with colorful... "coprophagia".

(Did... Did I use it correctly? No? Well, you at least know what I mean. ^_^)

Dredd, that goes for you too. Why watch horrible crap?

And that begs another question. Aside from rousing a shock out of the audience, why do film makers and writers (There has been some ****ed up literature out there) create what they do? That's actually not the real question. What message are they trying to convey? There's a point where the line is crossed and it is no longer entertainment or informative. It is smut. It beomes snuff. It becomes trash.

I'm not trying to bash either one of you for your tastes in some of the films y'all watch (Each to their own, ja ja?), but it is something I cannot wrap my mind around. Actually, it is more at the people that create this sort of thing. Call me fluffy and airheaded, but whatevs.
    Last edited by Leopold Stotch; 22-01-2013 at 23:28.

IncGamers Member Ash Housewares's Avatar

usually the context can be trusted to allow one to infer meaning

Quote Originally Posted by LozHinge the Unhinged
    However, you are never going to hear details from me about the even sicker movie I watched a few days before SalÚ. I wish I could unwatch it. Christ.
    PM please - in case it's something I haven't seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Stotch
    Dredd, that goes for you too. Why watch horrible crap?
    Endure. In enduring, grow strong.

The slightly longer answer is: To see if it actually offends, disturbs, moves and/or entertains me. 99% of the time it's crap, but once in a great while you run into something truly sublime - an Eraserhead or a Begotten, for example.

"Snuff" doesn't mean what you think it does (there also is no such thing - it's pure urban legend), so stick with terms like "smut" or "trash".

BattleTag What Me Worry?

Meh.

Spoiler

IncGamers Member LozHinge the Unhinged's Avatar
    BattleTag FTITCTAJ

I actually only set out to watch movies that promise a slightly different perspective from the usual. or which deal with subject matter that doesn't seem to be covered elsewhere. I try to avoid the obvious exploitation movies but occasionally, I get burned. As with the above-mentioned movies.

Oh, and why did David Lynch have a thing about characters in his movies becoming different, but still thematically linked, characters? I recently watched both Mulholland Drive and Lost Highway. Quite similar films, in their way.

And Dredd ... no. Or not yet. I am still trying to work out what to do with what I saw. I wasn't happy seeing it.

BattleTag What Me Worry?

Quote Originally Posted by LozHinge the Unhinged View Post
    And Dredd ... no. Or not yet. I am still trying to work out what to do with what I saw. I wasn't happy seeing it.
    No idea what I'm commenting ON but unless its IRL it can be faked you know.
    I tell myself that a lot.

Reaction videos are the payoff.
    Last edited by BobCox2; 23-01-2013 at 07:35.

Europe Trade Moderator krischan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmervyn View Post
    Disagree; you can look at the link to sort through the stats yourself. Like I said, they avoid discussion of pistols because it's far harder to malign than the "scary black rifle", are far more frequently used for self-defense by women and the elderly, and the criminal aspect comes primarily from the "Saturday Night Special" problem of black-market arms trade (which is already outlawed).
    You could as well say that it serves a purpose to compare a small portion of gun murders with knife murders and then another portion, aka divide and conquer. Whatever, I agree that if you want to limit the availability of guns, then it's about all of them, not just about semi-automatic rifles. Also, it's not just about murders, but a lot about accidents. I heard that there are 30000 deaths per year in the US because of weapons, without making a distinction.

People in the US can decide whatever they want to, but I'm amused about the way of twisting numbers and statistics and letting BS reasoning as legitimate, not just by the pro-gun faction. It seems that in the US, it's often not about the best arguments, but about making the best impression on a crowd of dumbasses. Winning a debate is not about being right, but about defeating an opponent in a contest of wits and I think there's too much emphasis put on that. Thank god that doesn't work that well in written form because people can think a day before replying. In live debates, things are completely different.
    D3 Trading Forums: Europe - America
    Diablo Wiki / Arreat Summit / ATMA / Forum Rules / Adria
    You know I'm born to lose / and gambling is for fools / but that's the way I like it, baby / I don't want to live forever!

Europe Trade Moderator krischan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Stotch View Post
    Call me fluffy and airheaded, but whatevs.
    People can do whatever they feel like, as long as they don't cause trouble to others... and they don't decide on their own what that is or isn't. However, there are people who cannot resist to do things which may be bad for them, like watching sick videos or () clicking on spoiler buttons which say "spider pic inside"... or was it Vivi who has that phobia?
    D3 Trading Forums: Europe - America
    Diablo Wiki / Arreat Summit / ATMA / Forum Rules / Adria
    You know I'm born to lose / and gambling is for fools / but that's the way I like it, baby / I don't want to live forever!

Quote Originally Posted by krischan View Post
    Also, it's not just about murders, but a lot about accidents. I heard that there are 30000 deaths per year in the US because of weapons, without making a distinction.
    That would have to be proved for me to accept the numbers, but there's definitely issues with lack of gun safety - in no small part because of the society's schizophrenic attitude regarding weapons. I may have told you that when the time came to load my 25mm automatic cannon, the troops were handling the belted HE rounds as if they were live snakes?
    It seems that in the US, it's often not about the best arguments, but about making the best impression on a crowd of dumbasses.
    What, you weren't convinced by the last election? LADY PARTS!
    In live debates, things are completely different.
    So did you watch the coronation inauguration?

IncGamers Member LozHinge the Unhinged's Avatar
    BattleTag FTITCTAJ

"Were those 20mm or 40mm sparrows, Commander?"

Carry on.