Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
    IncGamers Member

Budget Inferno Barbarian, 200k Gold, All Acts

I had so much fun doing my 300k Budget Wizard, I decided to try an even lower number, 200k gold, for my barbarian. I have money and just did this for a fun challenge, but I'm hoping I can provide some useful information for people wanting to clear through the game with the gold they earned getting to inferno, rather than having to do a ton of farming. And so, a guide:

Gear

Generally a person has 300k-500k gold after leveling to 60, if they haven't blown it all on crafting or something. We're going to work with 200k, but obviously if you have more, that's great.

Stat priorities are pretty simple:

1. Resist all / armor. Yes I consider that one stat. An item with a bunch of resists is the same as an item with a bunch of armor as far as I'm concerned. The exact relationship between armor and resists depends on your current gear (find out exactly what it is for you with an effective health calculator), but generally 1 res all = 10 armor. If your armor is higher than your resists (IE 9k armor and 600 resists) then resists will be relatively more valuable than the aforementioned ratio. If instead your resists are higher than your armor (IE 6k armor and 900 resists) then armor will be relatively more valuable. Since war cry gives 50% bonus to resists but only 20% bonus to armor, and since barbs tend to have naturally higher armor already, usually resists are going to be a bit better.

2. Vitality. Vitality gives us more HP, obviously. We need a substantial HP pool (at least 40k) even though we're going to be doing a lot of kiting. We simply need to be able to take some hits. Vitality also gives armor if we have the passive, so that's nice.

3. Strength. Our primary damage stat. We need to do some damage if we want stuff to eventually die.

Weapon: Our priorities are different here. If we're going to do a tornado kite build, we're going to need some LoH, and the best place to get that affordably is the weapon slot. Type of weapon also matters, due to weapon mastery giving different bonuses based on type. An axe or a mace for the crit bonus is going to give us the most flexibility in terms of being able to use crit-based skills. The more LoH and obviously the more base damage the better. Any vitality or strength we can get from this slot is great too, but we don't want to compromise much on damage, we do need to be able to kill stuff eventually.

Shield: The stat priorities apply here. Resists/armor, vit, strength are great to get, but there's extra things to consider. We want a sacred shield type, for the high block value, and we want a good roll on block chance. You might have to dig through a lot of shields to find one with a good block chance (20% commands a premium in price, but 17-19% is good). You can also look for ones with bonus %block, although in my experience they tend to be a bit more spendy.

Offhand: You can pick up an LoH offhand instead of a shield if you like. A dagger is a good choice. The damage is relatively unimportant, as sprint's damage is off your mainhand. You can get 800+ LoH cheap from this slot if you don't care about the damage (and you don't). If you do get an offhand I recommend also having a shield in reserve in case you run into something that just puts too much hurt on you.

Here's the gear I ended up with, for just a little under 200k gold, to give you an idea:

Spec:

We're going to go for a sprint kite build, not unlike the one detailed in ScottieK's guide, but we'll be focused a little more heavily on defense / kiting, thanks to our low end gear. (He says his build is for those who can't afford WW, but we're going even lower end than he did)

The variation I used for trash/elites is the following:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...QSk!bZY!cYZbZc

Frenzy (Maniac): Sidearm is fine too. This skill is for killing annoying ranged attackers that you've chased into a corner, or just if you're feeling lazy and the thing you're fighting is weak enough you don't need to kite it.

Sprint (Run Like The Wind): Our primary damage dealer. We're going to run around or charge through enemies dropping sprint tornadoes, which do good damage and proc LoH quite well.

Battle Rage (Into The Fray): This skill isn't strictly necessary, but it makes kiting much easier. With it, and the 23% crit we'll get just from skills (no crit gear needed) our sprints can fuel themselves, allowing us to kite to our heart's content without having to go in to generate fury with charge/frenzy. You can swap this for something else if you feel you can manage your fury fine without it.

Overpower (Crushing Advance): - I'm nerfed don't use me, old content spoilered:
    Spoiler

Edit 1.04 - Leap (Iron Impact): With crushing advance nerfed, we need a different defensive skill. Iron impact is my personal favorite, although ignore pain (iron hide) is a fine choice. I like leap because it not only provides mitigaion (and on a shorter cooldown than IP), but gets you out of bad situations. As of 1.04 it also breaks jailer, although we have charge for that. Between charge and leap we have unprecedented battlefield mobility, which we need because we can't lulzy our way through ground effects with crushing advance anymore.

Furious Charge (Merciless Assault): This skill is going to let us drop tornadoes throughout a pack, by charging through it, and of course, it is our mobility skill. Enemies can't stop us from getting where we want to go. Higher gear specs use whirlwind to accomplish the same thing, but there are several advantages to charge for the low geared barb. The first and most obvious is that charge generates fury instead of consuming it. Unlike whirlwind, charging also makes us temporarily immune. We can't get frozen, jailed, or anything else'd while we're charging. With careful timing you can avoid freeze without running out, for example (although I recommend charging out of the pack when freeze is about to go off, just to be safe).

We've chosen the Merciless Assault rune for the obvious reason: we want to be able to spam charge. Interestingly, the cooldown refresh appears to come from all hits that happen while you are charging - regardless of whether it was actually charge doing the hit. As a result, if you have a bunch of sprint tornadoes around, charge is almost guaranteed to fully refresh its duration when you use it. Make sure you have sprint up every time you charge though, to keep dropping those tornadoes.

War Cry (Impunity): So that we don't die.

Passives:

Nerves of Steel or Tough as Nails: Whichever gives you more armor. Although frankly, if tough as nails gives you more armor, you probably don't have enough vitality.

Weapon Master: Our axe or mace gives us another 10% crit, for refreshing overpower and gaining fury from into the fray. More damage is good too.

Ruthless: 5% more crit for refreshing overpower and generating fury from into the fray. The crit damage is nice too. You can swap this one for another armor passive if you're having trouble staying alive.

There's a lot of flexibility in the build. Charge, Sprint, and War Cry are pretty much mandatory, but the other three skills can be traded in for whatever you want, pretty much, if you don't like my choices. WotB + Earthquake easy button elite kill is a valid choice, for example. Edit 1.04: Rend is a very nice choice for added damage now.

Follower:

Since we're using LoH healing, the templar is of no real use to us. The 3% crit from the scoundrel isn't much good either. 15% armor from the enchantress is really the only reasonable choice. Her gear doesn't matter, she's just along for the buff, but you can stick whatever 2h you find on her. Don't bother spending much/any money on her though, it is fine if she dies all the time You get her 15% armor whether she's dead or not.

Video:

To give you an idea of how this build is going to play, here's a video of me taking on 4 random elites in act 3. They're just the first 4 I ran into going to a few different zones. It should give you an idea of the play style:

<****** class="restrain" title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KLkjeZTPMaQ?wmode=opaque" frameborder="0">

You can see that a few times I had to kill 1-2 guys and then reset for enrage. With 200k gear we can't expect to roll packs, and particularly since we've favored defensive stats, sometimes that sort of thing is just necessary. Particularly shielding and/or extra health packs may have you needing to kill 1-2 guys and then reset.

Thanks for reading, I hope you found this helpful/entertaining.
    Comments, questions, and suggestions are welcome.

Last edited by magicrectangle; 24-08-2012 at 06:20.

IncGamers Member

Re: Budget Inferno Barbarian, 300k Gold, All Acts

Killing elites is all well and good, but there are some bosses that give people problems. I've selected a few of the bosses that I think people struggle with, and made videos for each of them.

Lets start with Belial. Beating the enrage timer with our mediocre damage gear will require some spec chicanery. Here's what I ended up with to get enough damage done:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...PRk!SYX!cacZac

And of course, the video:
    <****** class="restrain" title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/uF5lqrznYB0?wmode=opaque" frameborder="0">

IncGamers Member

Ghom is another boss that gives a lot of new players fits. Fortunately, barbarians have an "IWin" button for him, called Crushing Advance. Here's the build I used:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...Rik!bZY!cabaZc

The play is simple, rotate life saving cooldowns. Ignore pain and iron impact to reduce incoming damage, and then crushing advance to heal to full. Here's the video:
    <****** class="restrain" title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LIteGxNaei8?wmode=opaque" frameborder="0">

IncGamers Member

Rakanoth is another fight with a tough enrage timer for a modestly geared barb. The tongue fsckers he spawns also have that annoying knockback. I went with a pretty tanky spec, because his damage output is actually quite high, and just picked barely enough damage skills to get him killed within the 3 minutes allotted:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...Rik!bZX!cacaZc

Again we're rotating damage reduction cooldowns, this time instead of crushing advance healing (no steady stream of incoming damage for us to reflect, unfortunately), we'll use revenge to heal - and to kill the tongue fsckers he spawns. Here's the video:

<****** class="restrain" title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/G0e-VPrzgTI?wmode=opaque" frameborder="0">

IncGamers Member

And finally, for completeness, Diablo. I actually doubt you'll have any trouble with Diablo if you can get to him. He has no enrage timer, so you can take your time, use as tanky of a spec as you like, and just work him down at your leisure. Still, the point of the build was to beat inferno with 200k gold worth of gear, so I'd be remiss if I didn't include the final boss of the game. The build I used:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...QXk!bZY!cYZbac

I used sprint to kill him more for laughs than anything else. Against a single target it isn't really better than frenzy, but hey, why not? Here's the video (this one is rather lengthy):

<****** class="restrain" title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/RJLPUZaWPfw?wmode=opaque" frameborder="0">

Hope you enjoyed it.

IncGamers Member

Re: Budget Inferno Barbarian, 200k Gold, All Acts

Thanks for the title fix (and sticky)

IncGamers Member

With crushing advance nerfed I like iron impact as a replacement for the general purpose build. For Ghom frenzy and kite him around the outside of the room, moving just to the edge of gas clouds as they are planted. Rotate iron impact and ignore pain to minimize damage taken, like with rakanoth.

General purpose elite farming build:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...cSk!ZYb!caZaZc

I like rend now for a low gear setup quite a lot. It works well, on the same principle as sprint - do damage without being there. Either leap or frenzy can be swapped for into the fray if you want better kiting (and don't like worrying about your fury).

BattleTag mordell-1747

This is mostly what I have been using in inferno, but I put more emphasis on Charge and Frenzy/Bash. Here's what I use:

Left: Charge: Merciless Assault
    Right: Frenzy: Sidearm or Bash: Onslaught
    A: Sprint: Run Like the Wind
    S: Revenge: Provocation
    Z: WotB: Insanity
    X: Warcry: Imputiny

For groups, I use Sprint to line them up and Charge to knock them down (and down, and down, and down). Then I clean up with Frenzy or Bash. I actually like Bash a lot, but I have a nice belt with +7% frenzy damage, so sometimes I use that. I've found it to be really effective in Act 2 (I haven't beaten Belial's enrage timer yet), and I sometimes take down elite packs without WotB. I've thought about maybe swapping it for Battle Rage.

I also tried Rend since I don't have a frequent use spender, but it didn't work nearly as well as Revenge for healing. With my gear, and focusing on staying alive, my DPS is pretty low, around 14k.

I found fury generators to work really well on the right mouse button, but then I have some difficulty with misfires on the left click skill. It's a trade-off, I guess. I've been using this for a few weeks, but I still have some trouble with it.

IncGamers Member

This guide is sufficiently outdated that it should probably be un-stickied. Gear has gotten so much cheaper and better since I wrote it, that a budget guide is pretty much unnecessary. The gold you make leveling to 60 can get you a much higher damage, offensively geared and spec'd barb now.

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag iMikee-2957

It might be outdated in SC but i personally am looking at this for my HC barb. Before i spend moneys on him..