Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Amazing Azmodan sculpture

Click link for more pics and commentary from its creator:
    http://blog.makezine.com/2012/08/03/...pture-azmodan/

I began this sculpture two years ago, when I was working for a book publishing company. I had the good fortune to be the Art Director for Blizzard’s book, Diablo III: The Book of Cain.

Diablo is one of my favorite PC game series, so designing the book and helping Blizzard direct the illustrations of some of my favorite fantasy illustrators (Brom, Iain McCaig, James Gurney, Adrian Smith, John Howe) was a dream come true.
    One of the bosses in Diablo III is the Lord of Sin, Azmodan, a Lesser Evil of the Burning Hells. True to his moniker, he’s a monstrosity in every regard. As soon as I saw the sketches, I just had to sculpt him. He ended up being more challenging than I even expected, as it took me an estimated cumulative 2-3 months to complete him. He has six insect legs, multiple texture types, and his hands and head glow with demonic energy. And if that wasn’t difficult enough, I had to light him up with LEDs.

I wanted this thing to be large, imposing, and he does not disappoint: the base is two feet across and he is 17″ tall.

Re: Amazing Azmodan sculpture

WOW its amazing, looks so good the guy should work at Blizzard and help them design their figurines but he should make one thats a tyrael figure

BattleTag nurman-2854

That's bloody awesome

IncGamers Member

Dude. That sculpture is sizzling! Azmodan has got to be one of the coolest demonic designs to come out of the Diablo series.

D3 Fan Creations Forum Moderator Holyknight3000's Avatar
    BattleTag Holyknight-1111

Holy hell thats a nice one.

Your friendly neighborhood Fan Creations Forum Moderator
    Creator of the Fiery Runes Series and Chronicles of the Dark Library
    Have any questions or suggestions please send me a Message

- The Runeweaver -

Blizzard just posted a brief interview with the sculpture's creator:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/6904613

Q. If someone is looking to begin sculpting, or taking on a project somewhat like this, how do you recommend they begin?

Jason: Start small. Trying to do a project like this as your first project would be really frustrating. Learn anatomy and basic sculpting skills first, and then work on something like this after you've done a few sculpts.
    There are also a ton of great tutorials at www.stanwinstonschool.com. Gnomon School is great, as are their tutorials. I just read a ton, visited sculpting forums, and don't forget: practice, practice, practice!