Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Re: If Blizzard Release PvP Without Ladders, Rankings or scores, it will seal D3's Fa

Gear did make a difference in D2 PvP, but the differences were so marginal that you weren't really at a disadvantage at all if you didn't possess the gear. Certainly, it wasn't anything that would have compensated for superior skill. Mostly it was the people who just wanted to have trophy items that went after the top end gear, but typical uniques made for decent PvP gear as well. I think people perceive gear discrepancies to be a problem in Diablo 3 because they are a problem in PvE, but also because only a very specific tier of gear is considered top quality. In Diablo 2, you could have level 29 gear be best in slot, and uniques that were generally useful and common to everyone standardized the competition a little bit.

From my memory, PvP in D2 was more of a way to derive gratification out of getting mass kills by stomping people with a specific build. Duels weren't taken that seriously, certainly not to the extent of StarCraft 1 back in the day. But the current era of video games has changed the conversation a little bit, and I think more and more people expect ladder play or incentives to demonstrate personal skill with all the talk about eSports.

To add to what someone else said, PvP is quite the daunting task for the vast majority of players out there. Putting your skill to where your mouth is can be quite intimidating, which is why most people shy away from things like Hardcore or WoW PvP. I don't think PvP itself will determine the fate of this game. There, I said it. The game suffers from more fundamental flaws that need to be addressed before PvP can really claim a stake in its success.

Re: If Blizzard Release PvP Without Ladders, Rankings or scores, it will seal D3's Fa

I'm not really fond of path of Exile, but since last Kripperian vid about PoE this has changed my feelings.

Kripp shows the PvP in PoE, why the hell couldn't Blizzard implement the same thing from the start?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H3RP...&feature=g-u-u

This is the kind of PvP I like the most, not these stupid 4vs4 team pvp arena's.
    Add to that the loot that drops from players, me likes a lot!

It's time to try out PoE again.

IncGamers Member

Why do people want so much PVP?

Can't you just join a MOBA game if you wish to do this? DOTA/DOTA2/LOL - all geared exactly for PVP with a RPG like environment. What is it that people wish to do this so much?

Diablo 2 PVP wasn't important at all until very recently, it was considered a nice add on if you grew tired of farming with your friends & wished to show them who's the boss.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by raveharu View Post
    PvP is already better in D3 than the garbage that was in D2.
    I could not agree more.
    Ill just add (coz he obvious forgot) that PvP is already better in D3 than it will ever be in PoE too

/sarcasm off

IncGamers Member

D2 pvp was so fun precisely because it was garbage...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pulli View Post
    Diablo 2 PVP wasn't important at all until very recently, it was considered a nice add on if you grew tired of farming with your friends & wished to show them who's the boss.

lol... WHaaa?

I spent a majority of my time in D2 dueling before enigmas and synergies in D2s prime. I never, eeeeeeeeeeeeeever got tired of it. Got tired of farming and leveling tho.

Speak for yourself..

Banned

D3 pvp does NOT need a ladder.

Rankings or ladders in a PVP kind of game should never exist in public games. I've always found them pointless and stupid in any 'pub' style game.

If the pvp game is good enough the dueling community will find away to make its own leagues in a controlled enviroment with its own rules/ladders and tournaments.

Pub games are for practice and should not keep track records of it. If anything a pvp pub ladder would make people avoid dueling. So, bad idea.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vooodu View Post
    D3 pvp does NOT need a ladder.

Rankings or ladders in a PVP kind of game should never exist in public games. I've always found them pointless and stupid in any 'pub' style game.

If the pvp game is good enough the dueling community will find away to make its own leagues in a controlled enviroment with its own rules/ladders and tournaments.

Pub games are for practice and should not keep track records of it.
    I agree.

By the time the PvP patch will launch, the D3 Armory will be present on the web

The Armory functions as a way to what players did in game: their number of wins, the gear, the set up.

As Blizzard have stated : they will allow the data retrieval for people wanting to make their own applications from that database.

Like the Iron Man Challenge in WOW made their own listing of hardcore challenge in WOW, so will people climb to some ladders and rankings in those unofficial scores.

The official wins (never the losses) WILL be displayed along with some bragging rights and achievements on the Armory.

It is a very nice addition to the game without going to hardcore PvP that ... is REJECTED by most people btw.

SC2 suffers from its too hardcore PvP. Many people try one or two times SC2 PvP and then quit playing on the net (according to SC2 own developpers).

it is a shame that a co founder of this website has become so much anti Blizzard these days, it is even suspicious.

Banned

D3 pvp needs 3 things in my opinion.

1. A dueling arena. ( which is already in the works) with private match options.

2. A duel button in normal games like the hostile button in D2. Except you have to accept the challenge and you can also wager gold/items. Almost like the trade window. Great for practice or 1 v 1's.

3. A small 8 player FFA rogue camp map. With a safe zone. For hours of mindless killing, trolling, laughing and fun.

Thats would make many people happy.

IncGamers Member

I liked Kripps suggestion for PvP in his Kripp tips video, and think it would work pretty well.

He suggested that to reduce the gear advantage in PvP, that on entering a PvP game all your gear gets an 80% debuff. So if your helm has 100 int, it only gives you 20. This makes it so gear will give an advantage, but will reduce the extent of that advantage. (Obviously 80% is just a random number thrown out there, but you get the idea)