Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
    IncGamers Member

New sorc, no fire/light builds??

So I've recently returned to D2 and have decided this ladder to do things I have barely or never touched in the past. Sorc is a class that I've played a little but not much, my buddy that I used to play with was all about necs and sorcs so I kept my distance.

Problem I'm having now is that 95% of builds I see for sorc are either cold/fire, pure light or a quirky off the wall kind of build. And i'm not a big fan of most. Something about cold/fire just doesn't sit right to me from a thematic standpoint. Is there a reason fire/light is practically non-existent? Are they just bad? The way I'm looking at it is that most of the common runs don't feature many fire/light immunes, however I see tons of cold/fire. Am I just missing the FI/LI?

If no one has a solid reason I'll be trying to build one and I'll post my findings here, if it's successful in the form of a guide at that.

Thanks for any help folks!

Re: New sorc, no fire/light builds??

fire/light is topped by both cold/light and Fire/cold. Cold is chosen since Frozen Orb is cheap skill point wise. Ill suggest you make a FO/charged ball sorc. So much fun If you really want Fire/light, then Fire wall/fireball/nova is my best bet.

IncGamers Member

Thanks for response =) I think I'll stick with a fire/light idea. I just don't like blizzard or FO Personally. Not that they're bad skills just don't like em for some reason. Plus I'm having fun making this my season of fire and lightning. Got a fire ele Druid and a light javazon in the wings. And planning a dream /dragon charger for down the line.

IncGamers Member

Fire/light is okay if you like firewall. There's no other fire ability that does well with low points in it.
    Check my writeup here

You could always do a Charge Bolt/Hyrda sorc, they work pretty well but are a little bit slower than some of your other "standard" builds.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi View Post
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalGambit View Post
    Is there a reason fire/light is practically non-existent?
    Yes. Fire Mastery and Lightning Mastery. So many skillpoints you don't have to give. The "synergy" system hamstrings the sorceress perhaps the most.

IncGamers Member omgwtfbbqpwned's Avatar

Dual 'Dream' Sorceress is Fire/Light. You can use 'Beast' to transform into a bear for very quick attacks, or Zeal with 'Passion' at 7fpa or so. She also packs quite a bit of damage, easily hitting 50k+ top end damage.

What a coincidence! I'm planning on trying something like this for my newest character. I'd actually stopped by this thread before, but kind of ignored what was said since Ice is my favorite element. But last night, (for my own reasons), I decided to try a Fire/Lightning Sorceress, who'll use Fireball and Chain Lightning. Which skills do you think you'll be focusing on?

IncGamers Member

You could try a thunderstorm/fireball sorc.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalGambit View Post
    So I've recently returned to D2 and have decided this ladder to do things I have barely or never touched in the past. Sorc is a class that I've played a little but not much, my buddy that I used to play with was all about necs and sorcs so I kept my distance.

Problem I'm having now is that 95% of builds I see for sorc are either cold/fire, pure light or a quirky off the wall kind of build. And i'm not a big fan of most. Something about cold/fire just doesn't sit right to me from a thematic standpoint. Is there a reason fire/light is practically non-existent? Are they just bad? The way I'm looking at it is that most of the common runs don't feature many fire/light immunes, however I see tons of cold/fire. Am I just missing the FI/LI?

If no one has a solid reason I'll be trying to build one and I'll post my findings here, if it's successful in the form of a guide at that.

Thanks for any help folks!

If I were to build another fire/lightning build I would go with CB/meteor. Meteor does ok damage with a 20 point investment with just one in mastery. I do spend the extra point for enchant to give the merc better AR and the minor damage increase. For me meteor works better due to its 4 yard radius and its much longer burn duration. For the lightning half CB having only one synergy makes it cheap points wise. Here I also spend the 3 extra points to gain TS. It's 11 yard radius will start tagging things as they get to you. Lightning even with only one synergy maxed gives you a long ranged alternative and up close CB is devastating when all the bolts hit a large target. When you get 24 bolts doing between 300-500 damage each bosses don't stand a chance. Your merc has to have decent leech for questing so I'd recommend a Hone sudan with a shael and 2 amns, needs plenty of fhr so I use duress, and for a helm either a delirium or a vamp gaze for more leech and damage reduction. For act bosses I keep a wand of lifetap on switch so he survives.

If you can roll a perfect 35 FCR spirit tal's set with magefists silkweaves and 2 SoJ's rocks and you won't need insight. If you roll a lower spirit swap one ring to obtain the 105 FCR total. Hang on to any mana and life charms you find and have a blast.

Anything over 250-300MF will make negligible difference in drops as any drop calculator will easily show. This build can run pretty much anywhere and kill fine. You have great lit/fire damage and your merc will have cold from duress with plenty of CB and OW. If you haven't played a delirium merc you owe it to yourself to try it.

First round is on me!

D!