Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

When does life steal outperform LoH?

There must be a point where if for example you do X amount of damage, it's better (and probably cheaper!!) to go for life steal/leech instead of LoH, even with the inferno 80% nerf (clearly people can't be recovering 100k+ on a hit, that's stupid) it must be somewhat useful, at some point surely??

Is my (basic!) maths right that in inferno, if I had a 5% LS/LL stat, if I hit for 100k, I would get 1000 HP back?

IncGamers Member

Re: When does life steal outperform LoH?

Trouble is, this is different for every skill as each skill has its own proc coefficient for LoH. Different classes can also get quite different amounts of life leech, too. Your math is right, though.

IncGamers Member

There are lots of resources you can find by searching. There was a thread in the wizard forum asking the exact same thing: http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/s...d-what-doesn-t

One of the posts in there links to a guide that answers that question for wizards: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/top...8370136?page=1
    another post about wizard loh: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149154265

like the person before me said, you should learn proc coefficients. Once you understand that, you can find out for yourself which abilities are better with loh or life steal. Here is a list of coefficients for barbarians: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...WeENoU0E#gid=0

In general loh is better, because of the 80% life steal reduction. So your example is right, but most people find a secondary ability that has a good coefficient to use with loh. Each class has its "best" loh ability, whereas lifesteal just requires ridiculous gear investment.

Last edited by wumbabum; 03-08-2012 at 06:09.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by wumbabum View Post
    Each class has its "best" loh ability, whereas lifesteal just requires ridiculous gear investment.
    This is the real kicker. For any reasonable set of gear, LoH will always be better than LL if you're using a good proc skill. LL is flexible in that it doesn't care about your skill selection, but no amount of LL with no amount of achievable damage will equal even moderate LoH when you're using skills like run like the wind or wicked wind. If you want a lot of life return, you are stuck with those skills and LoH. If you're okay with more modest return, you can take whatever skills you want and use LL, so long as you have good damage.

IncGamers Member

IncGamers Member

I was after LoH/LL as a means of reducing +reflect rather than as a full LoH/LL build, just that any decent LoH costs a bomb and wondered if LL was a viable alternative.

IncGamers Member

What are your character stats?

IncGamers Member

At the moment my current DH has no LoH and probably would need to be re-geared entirely for LoH (at which point it is likely to be better to create a dual wield DH and leave my current DH alone).

IncGamers Member

It's hard to tell you what you would need to know without knowing your exact stats and skill build. You don't have to re-gear everything, one socket with a 500 loh amethyst on it is enough, the problem depends on your gear. I ask what your stats are because all resist has a huge affect on the damage returned, so if you're a glass cannon, you are better off trying to improve your all resist rather than trying to purchase tons of LoH. just a little is enough (400-600 or so).

I'd say change your skills around to accomdate your loh, depending on your skills.

IncGamers Member

Ah right, my current DH is on lowest all res is just above 300, 3750 armour (with enchantress buff) and about 30k hp.