Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Re: Critical Mass Melee Wizard

You want to mash diamond skin and frost nova as much as your fingers can take and also semi-mash twister, but also strategically place them to gain as many hits as possible.

My guess is that you crit chance is a bit low to get wind-up going when there is not trash mobs around to help the process, or when they run dry. Don't forget that the other part of the equation is resetting the cool down timers to make diamond/frost available in the first place, so you need to stack as much crit chance as possible.

But with 31/29, I'm guessing you just need to mash more.

IncGamers Member

Mash everything. Mash mash mash. Mash.

Mash.

Also more crit chance would help.

I've watched magicrectangels video more closely and there's no comparing our mashing teqniques :P
    I've only played this build a short time and so far it's been:
    Frost Nova, 3xwind (hm maybe another nova) *klick* (do I have time for explosive blast? Ok) *klick* (perhaps diamond skin) *klick* (let's see, nova or wind Oh crap!) *klickklickklick* too late
    This worked surprisingly well with trash mobs and even champions with some tanking help and kiting. I will try more mashing, a structured one if I can.

I know my crit chance could be a bit higher. I have room for improvement on my jewellery, should be able to raise it closer to 40 without giving up too much other stats.

IncGamers Member

Hey! I came after seeing your amazing video on yt, maybe you could give me some tips on how to improve my wiz?

Here is my gear: http://imageshack.us/f/14/built.png/
    What would you upgrade next? The bracers and the wand aren't too great imo, but better wands would break my bank. Same goes for the bracers, I'd like to have All resist on them though. I also feel that the pants and the belt are crappy...
    Happy to any suggestions, cheers!

IncGamers Member

Ouroboros is attractive looking, but can be very limiting. I would be looking to find a discount wand with some LoH (lol, discount wand..sigh) so that you can afford to replace it down the road, or immediately. I personally like my attack speed much higher also and freeing up the ammy spot will give some flexibility there, which you also have in your gloves. I would be looking for gloves with ias, cc, ar and as much of everything else that you can afford. There are good gloves to be had on the cheap with all the crafting that went on.

....everything else is going to break the bank. :|

IncGamers Member

Najsman: chain reaction and diamond skin aren't on the swing timer, so you can mash them all you want and it won't get in the way of your ability to frost nova or wicked wind. Personally I just mash everything, but even if you want to time out your novas and wicked winds, you should still be mashing diamond skin and chain reaction - there's no downside to that.

Kyrone:The bracers aren't bad. They could be better obviously, but keep in mind the bonus armor on them is just as good as ~40 resist all (use an EHP calc to see exactly, but it should be about that). Your wand is also completely decent - obviously a higher damage wand would be great, but you've got the essentials on it.

Practically all of your vitality is coming from your wand and your pants. Now as I sad vitality isn't all that important, but you do still need to maintain a buffer of HP so you don't die any time diamond skin drops. As such you have to be careful upgrading those slots (although you could always resocket for vit if it came down to it). To spite that, I think your pants are the lowest hanging fruit. No bonus armor, no resist all. They've got a lot of stats, but that's all they've got. expect to pay in the ~5 mil range for pants with 150ish vit+int (counting sockets) that also has 50+ res all and bonus armor.

Your second ring slot has no res all or armor. That's where I'd look next. ~3 mil will get you something with ~70 int, 4% crit, ~50 res all. A little more and you can get armor too. This is up right now for 5m bid 10m bo with 2.5 hours left and no bids:

It isn't worth 10m, but if you can snipe it for 5m, it is worth that.

Next I'd look at the shield. IMHO with the additional res all and armor from pants and ring upgrade your defensive stats will be good enough to warrant swapping to a source to greatly improve your damage. A good source will cost you a mint, but a decent one can be had for not all that much. Source shopping can be a frustrating experience because the AH doesn't sort by the most important stat - damage. However, this can also work for you. A lot of people don't know how to price sources, as it isn't obvious from looking at the AH. You can get some bargains if you're patient and sift through the chaff. A source with around 50-300 damage, 8.5% crit, 10 ap-on-crit should run you in the 5 mil range with a little bargain hunting. If you want a bunch of int on it, you'll pay more (a lot more).

IncGamers Member

For sources, it seems most decent ones are placed without a buyout. People just have no clue how to price them and go the lazy route. If you want to save some searching time you can only browse ones that have high enough current bid, though personally I just quickly go over all of them and only look at the other stats of those that have high damage. Filtering for crit and AP on crit of course, which btw greatly reduces the number of options, and for this build you should probably take crit and AP on crit in your source even if you can't afford a good one (just compromise damage as much as necessary). Of course, looking for 1d11/1d12 bargains is always a good thing. Put a max buyout and sort from most to least expensive, as the super-cheap ones have very little chance to be any good. If you want to bid, though, don't forget to check the ones with excessively high buyouts and low bids!

IncGamers Member

First of all thank you for your answer, I find it amazing and so helpful of you to spent your time helping other players!
    I will try to invest in pants and a ring with all resist and armor today, although I'm kind of worried about my vitality...as you said, half of it comes from my weapon (which I will eventually upgrade) and my pants... Well, we'll se how it turns out, I'll post my upgraded gear some time soon! Cheers!

IncGamers Member

lol wand prices are getting funny for LoH + AoC

Whats this swing timer you mentioned? I get the important part, explosive blast and diamond skin wont interrupt the others. But can mashing nova interrupt or get in the way of diamond skin, how does that work? Assuming theres enough AP, why cant they always be cast if their respective cooldown is up?