Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Meteorb skill build question

Just a little curious why do all people who build meteorb sorc's waste so much points in a hybrid sorc. By this I mean putting a point in Inferno, Blaze and Firewall to get to Meteor which is a... well useless skill IMO. I'm not that experienced with hybrid sorc's since I've played mostly battle.net, in other words a big majority of the sorc's I've played are pure element. I've made plenty of pure fire sorc's and I've never used meteor... at all.

And my question actually being: Is this build going to work?

Fire:
    20 Fire bolt
    20 Fire ball
    20 Fire mastery
    1 Warmth

Cold:
    20 Frozen Orb
    1+ Cold Mastery *
    1+ Ice bolt *

Lightning:
    1 Static
    1 TK
    1 Teleport

* Cold Mastery pumped until it reaches 100 percent, future points go to ice bolt.

And by going to work I mean reasonably fast kill speed by both elements.

Edit: I'm playing Single Player.

IncGamers Member

Re: Meteorb skill build question

Never built a hybrid personally, only a FO sorc and a light sorc, but my guess with the meteorb is that meteor is timed so you cast and launch a few orbs to get dual dmg at same time

I thought I made myself clear that I won't be using meteor. The question being will I be doing enough damage with Fireball w/o Meteor as a synergy?

Quote Originally Posted by elborrador View Post
    Never built a hybrid personally, only a FO sorc and a light sorc, but my guess with the meteorb is that meteor is timed so you cast and launch a few orbs to get dual dmg at same time
    This is incorrect, both FO and meteor are timered so you have to wait after casting meteor to cast an orb, which makes the actual essence of this build because FO is timered and Fireball is not, allowing you to cast a FO and then spam Fireball inbetween.

Meteor is definately not necessary for this to be an effective build and I've met many people like yourself that have not invested any into meteor, its a personal preference but I personally don't think it will hinder your effectiveness to skip it completely especially if you plan to never use it. Like you said, you have to invest 3 skill points to get there and in a hybrid build skill points are tight. Will you not reach maximum damage with your fireball? Probably not, but it doesn't really make much difference in the scope of things since your FO will carry a little more damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi View Post
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Thanks. We'll see how she performs soon

You generally don't have enough points to sink much/anything into a 2nd synergy so I wouldn't worry about that.

IMO Meteor is worth the three points as it speeds up Baal runs considerably, and useful against some other things like those CI fire mages and vile mothers. But you can do fine without it.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by hubb View Post
    You generally don't have enough points to sink much/anything into a 2nd synergy so I wouldn't worry about that.

IMO Meteor is worth the three points as it speeds up Baal runs considerably, and useful against some other things like those CI fire mages and vile mothers. But you can do fine without it.

Amen there it definitely speeds up Baal runs especially with the long burn duration around lvl 30. It lasts about 19 seconds per meteor and stacks. Without meteor is playable but is a severe mana hog. Too many don't see the benefit of the fire stack, with a few statics it can have an entire wave in HR already dead just ain't yet. It's hard to do that with Fball.

First round is on me!

D!

Well.. Finished the game w/o any points in meteor. Lister's and Ventar's friends were parked, because they would have taken forever to kill. Lister and Ventar were easy, so as Baal. Still it's kinda slow on the killing speed so I'm prolly gonna respec to single element. Thanks for the suggestions

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrotechnician View Post
    This is incorrect, both FO and meteor are timered so you have to wait after casting meteor to cast an orb, which makes the actual essence of this build because FO is timered and Fireball is not, allowing you to cast a FO and then spam Fireball inbetween.

Meteor is definately not necessary for this to be an effective build and I've met many people like yourself that have not invested any into meteor, its a personal preference but I personally don't think it will hinder your effectiveness to skip it completely especially if you plan to never use it. Like you said, you have to invest 3 skill points to get there and in a hybrid build skill points are tight. Will you not reach maximum damage with your fireball? Probably not, but it doesn't really make much difference in the scope of things since your FO will carry a little more damage.

Thank you for this tid bit, I did not know this. The more you knw!

Ive only ever built fo sorc or light sorc so it's good to know for when I do build my dual element

If you go full fire though, it's not hard for FB to hit 15k and Meteor 35K. It all depends on your game plan though, I mf in areas that the fire sorc can.