Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Repair Cost

Banned

New Repair Cost

As of 1.0.3, the cost of death related repairs has been multiplied. I wonder, what's the reason for it? Is it to curb gold inflation? I would have guessed that people who die the most, are those who are more casual, under-geared and poor. This change punishes poor the most. Meanwhile, all the bots got their scripts updated to prioritize survival, thus all the farmers are not really affected by this change. Am I making some kind of fatal mistake in my analysis, or the developers of D3 are completely clueless?

BattleTag FireIceTalon-1265

Re: New Repair Cost

You are correct on all accounts.

The repair costs are Blizz's (failed) method of trying to create a gold sink and stop botters, but all it has really done is hurt people from progressing farther, especially in Inferno. I was strongly against the repair cost increases from the beginning, and still am.

Indeed, Blizz has no clue what they are doing, and if it were up to me, all of them would be fired and the Blizz North team would be back.

Quote Originally Posted by FireIceTalon View Post
    Indeed, Blizz has no clue what they are doing, and if it were up to me, all of them would be fired and the Blizz North team would be back.
    "Remember the Dead, but Fight for the Living?"

I believe the reason was to encourage players not to die so much. People were running around in Inferno with 0 resist, 5k HP, getting one shot left and right, and what's more, many of them actually believed that this was the way the game was supposed to be played. If you are dying enough that repair costs are negatively effecting your income, it is the game's way of telling you that you don't belong in that act/difficulty.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Clock View Post
    I believe the reason was to encourage players not to die so much. People were running around in Inferno with 0 resist, 5k HP, getting one shot left and right, and what's more, many of them actually believed that this was the way the game was supposed to be played. If you are dying enough that repair costs are negatively effecting your income, it is the game's way of telling you that you don't belong in that act/difficulty.
    I would gather, that if one has at least at least two working brain cells, one would realize that he doesn't belong in Inferno after getting one-shotted five times in a minute, no? You don't need a hefty repair bill to remind you about that.

IMO, this change is to create yet another HARD gear check and to increase value of armors, relative to weapons.

IncGamers Member

Except it doesn't work and it's pretty obvious it wouldn't work. Do they expect people to farm Act 1 for weeks and weeks trying to find gear so they won't die. If you aren't a tank you will die to certain packs no matter what.

The developers have no clue what they are doing and the repair costs is just another problem they caused.

BattleTag FireIceTalon-1265

If that is indeed the case, it only further proves my point that Blizz is clueless. Raising repair costs isnt going to discourage dying, it is going to discourage the desire to even want to play. The fact you die in Inferno often, and that it is usually something beyond your control, is punishment enough. The repair costs only add on to these penalties, and there is no incentive to want to progress. My situation is a perfect example. I'm at Act 3 Inferno with my Wizard, but have no desire to really want to complete it right now, because I know I will be back at Act 1 farming gold for the exorbitant repair bills. Having to farm gold just to repair is completely absurd, not fun, and is just one aspect that proves D3's end game is garbage - and that this dev team has no idea wtf they are doing.

Clan Officer - US West Hardcore Muggs's Avatar
    BattleTag Muggs-1534

The changes had nothing to do with botters and everything to do with glass cannon builds. If you are playing and even dying once a champ pack you still end up ahead on gold from just playing. If you were a glass cannon throw yourself at the enemy repeatedly person with no hope of living while zerging an enemy down it affected you immensely. Repair costs have not made me relook at running a4 inferno and even dying in act3 in a group again it is a non issue. I 4man regularly in act3 which results in regular deaths and a lot of fun and we never go down in overall gold.

BattleTag Ask me!

The gold costs for dieing were way too low before the patch, I could die 5 times and not really care. Now I care a bit. But in my opinion the repair costs for death is still too low, I don't really think "f*** sh** a**" when I die, more like "aaah nuts". (Yes I'm playing inferno)

Quote Originally Posted by Hideo View Post
    I would gather, that if one has at least at least two working brain cells, one would realize that he doesn't belong in Inferno after getting one-shotted five times in a minute, no? You don't need a hefty repair bill to remind you about that.
    The things is, people were getting one shot five times a minute, and people assumed this was normal. There were threads and discussions concerning the fact that resists/vitality were worthless for ranged and you should stack nothing but damage stats. And with low repair costs, it was actually a successful way to progress through the game.

I agree that negative reinforcement is not the best way to fix a problem, and it probably was a knee jerk reaction because they didn't expect so many people to corpse hop through Inferno.

For those who think that death is a foregone conclusion in Inferno, you should check out how people in Hardcore gear/build. I think they know a thing or two about avoiding death.