I refer, of course, to the operation now-turned-scandal known as "Fast and Furious" (hereafter "F&F"). In some ways I'm surprised nobody has brought this up previously, but there's a lot of you who only see a very slanted, distorted version of America, and as I mention below, this is already a desperate cover-up. There's an explanatory video that I'll add once I get home that sums it all up nicely.
The New Left and their media brethren are pulling out all the stops to cover this up; to the enormous credit of CBS, they're refusing to drink the fellow-traveler kool-aid, and are actively pursuing the story. "Bush did it first!" Chairman Issa is a dirtbag/isn't squeaky clean! This is all about voter suppression! Plus <my> personal all time favorite, RAAAAAAAACIIISSSTTT!!!!!!! The "Right" doesn't really have as much interest in covering it as might be imagined; it will be called as a political stunt by the Left and distract from their one-note "economy" message in the election.
The underlying truths are as follows:
- The traditional Democrat claim that 90% of Mexican narco-terrorist's guns come from the U.S. is an open lie. Furthermore, such a claim relies on disingenuous reading; "come from the U.S." is interpreted as being sold by American gun stores while the actual determination is tracing whether the gun was originally manufactured in America and where it was sold to subsequently. Foreign guns coming through the U.S. would be identified by serial number if possible.
- The number of guns bought from America by narco-terrorists is quite limited; they use international arms dealers and low cost is not a major concern of theirs. The "American" guns involved in the Mexican drug wars are largely those stolen from Mexican Army armories, including those of the infamous "Zetas". While M-16's and M-60's are used by the narco-terrorists, AK-47's and similar weapons are preferable.
- The sting operations carried out under Bush, code named "Linebacker", were nearly disastrous and were discontinued because of the risk potential versus criminal charges payoff.
- Operation "Linebacker" attempted to place RFID tags in guns, and it failed. The operation was also a different mechanism; the targets were sold guns and the guns immediately seized after the border crossing.
- Mexico was informed about "Linebacker". Not the case with F&F.
- F&F plus the other operations were started under the Obama administration, and the Executive Branch was fully informed - to the point that they boasted about it during press briefings!
- When gun store owners contacted the Gov't about suspicious sales (i.e. the self-policing system worked) the were instructed to sell the weapons by the ATF and others regardless.
- No attempt to trace the weapons was made. They were sold, even directly by Gov't agents, to known narco-terrorists.
- DoJ documents discussed the interest by the Executive in substantiating the 90% claim from item #1.
- The ATF, FBI, and DoJ have engaged in reciprocity on whistle-blowers, which is illegal under Gov't regulations.
- Chairman Issa was officially lied to by the DoJ, claiming there was no knowledge of the 'rogue' F&F operation. DoJ later retracted the lie. Issa is demanding "what was known and when did they know it" information. The information provided by the DoJ is roughly 4% of what was asked for, and is very heavily redacted (blacked out pages).
- Pelosi and others' spurious claims about voter suppression made on behalf of Holder would require a time machine to be true; F&F was under investigation long before the voter "suppression" (removing deceased voters from the rolls) was an issue.
- The Executive Branch explicitly supported the inference made by #1 because it knew about F&F. In other words, American gun sales were blamed for Mexican violence because we were deliberately selling them guns to increase the violence.
- The Executive Branch denies any prior knowledge of F&F, despite item #6 and #13. They maintain that gun control is only the logical conclusion to #13.
- Obama invoked executive privilege over Holder's documents. This means #14 is a lie on one of two grounds, depending on how the determination is made.
In the interim, I'll cite the most trusted name in Leftist N00z, Jon Stewart, to examine just how bad this is. Even though Stewart can't bring himself to differentiate between running guns to narco-terrorists from having private meetings with oil tycoons to set energy policy.