crit or go home get ur some some crit and go critmass
crit or go home get ur some some crit and go critmass
Been reading this thread a while and as a fellow wizard I congratulate you on progress through Act 3. I have only started Act 3, and is struggling a bit in the dungeons under the castle. Some mobs like fast lashers are just impossible for me. But I can farm Act 2 without many deaths now, and since I have built my magic find up to 300 (including 5xNV) I get tons of rares. My favourite spot is Vault of the Assassin with its tightly packed elite/rares, and you can also choose a quest that lets you get a checkpoint there to simply restart game and do them over and over again. Its also nice because of its circular shape so you cant "get lost". - With around 225 starting MF I almost always get rares from every pack, all the way from the first one. It has helped a lot on building up a few million on loot to find upgrades, although keeping that MF up is expensive and at the expense of other stats.
I have been trying to remove vit from a few items as getting int, vit, resall, mf is expensive, especially if you also want crit, ias or something other good stuff. A bit of life regen helped out a lot when I also used Galvanizing Ward on top and often got me back when I had to run away. I swapped out my pants recently with some having way more int and vit (I try to get high vit on pants as they can roll 300), and lost some regen at the same time I also swapped out GW for Cold Blooded. I seriously notice that low regen now so I will try to get some back. But Cold Blooded is a nice bonus as Blizzard with Snowbound means you can spam them and essentially have a 20% dmg increase on all mobs (thats 20% higher blizz dmg, hydra poison, piercing orb).
I love Piercing Orb and if you have a wand or sword + some ias you can get a fair bit of those orbs out from a distance when kiting. This is made simpler by using Teleport wormhole which is fantastic for getting you up to 4 hops away. Wormhole is also brilliant for getting about fast (including from tp to vendor). It reduces the need for run speed on boots as well. I used to have fracture on TP before but I prefer Mirror Image Duplicates skill, as those 5 images can do wonders holding mobs occupied for quite a while so I can spam tons of piercing orbs at the mobs while they are slowed by blizzard. The Illusionist passive is then ofc fantastic as I have both my mirror images and teleport ready when I need them the most. Mirror image is great for breaking out of jail as well as when the mobs cast that red glowing stuff on the ground which burns you (desecrate?).
As for weapons + offhand, a decent 900 dps weapon with decent int can be got for less than a million and the same for a good 100-300 dmg decent int source. I have over 45k dps now with glass cannon which I am considering dropping to get back that armor and resistances. Perhaps choose Blur again? Survivability can sure save on repair costs.
Also I have teleport on the right click action as it made it such an easy reflex thing to use when I need it. I am not ashamed to even tp away 4 clicks if I face considerably difficult foes, I'd rather spend 3 minutes taking them down than die. It often helps me run away when I am in real trouble like low life and pot on timer. It naturally helps having a few health orbs lying around in the kiting path so I try to resist looting even gold they are too close to a health globe (100 gold < 5000 gold repair costs). If I am bored I can always go back and take the gold after.
Another good thing about Mirror image is that those 5 duplicates can frequently hold the mobs occupied long enough for the venom hydra to actually make a difference on the faster mobs. Some packs are just too fast for it to otherwise have any effect, which is sad. At 50k dps most trash packs usually goes down in no time with blizzard + piercing orb alone so the hydra seems only necessary at elite/rare/bosses if something is able to occupy them or the blizzard actually slows them down. I am actually considering swapping the hydra to a more single target type just because of this so I can take down fast packs easier (atm they are really a pain I have to kite them way too long).
My resists are around 500 now but that is with the glass cannon passive (-10%) and armor around 5k. I tried getting some more armor on some of my stuff as it is often cheaper than resall on caster gear. I think I read that you should try to have the same dmg mitigation % from armor as resists but I dont know, they both add up. Many say you should try to get physical resists higher also since that is usually what we wizards die from (except at Ghoom ofc).
I use Force Armor and my hp is around 28k now (trying to get that up to 30k - and can swap some gear to get high vit and less dps/mf if I need it). I guess you shouldnt have too high hp with force armor as it wont proc the effect, a very high hp also ruins the Illusionist passive as dmg has to be above 15% of hp to work. When fine tuned I think these can be great as you dont have to be so afraid to get whacked over the head now and then since two defensive skills are then ready (I often use both then to confuse the mobs with 5 duplicates, tp away and piercing orb all over their faces).
I dont have much crit, around 10% crit chance and 80% dmg I think. I have tried to get IAS on rings and gloves instead since its nice to have a higher rate of orbs coming out whenever I can turn around and dps. And naturally its fantastic on trash packs.
And btw while we are at it, I dont use the RMAH as I think it ruins the whole challenge of the game really. Its easy to buy yourself through the game but you will feel more rewarded if you have earned that by playing the game without the RMAH (although I admit I play a bit on the gold AH by buying and selling now and then).
Now for the mob affixes. I think its good if we discuss these, as it really comes down to how you handle each type. A summary of them with how I face them (Easy,Medium,Hard):
- Knockback - Easy, just throws me away from mobs, resets my mirror images and teleport
- Nightmarish - Easy, these are usually so short, and can be broken with mirror images if ready
- Vortex - Hard, especially when pulled into a tight pack with hard hitting mobs like those invisible snakes, only hope is to have tp ready then to get away before they hit - also having 5xmirrors out help a lot as they will pull one of your buddies instead
- Avenger - Easy, just takes longer to take down the last, usually when only one is left the fight is easy
- Extra Health - Medium, especially with combination of fast, I can in most cases just give up
- Health Link - Easy, takes a bit longer to take down, hard with extra health affix
- Horde - Easy, blizzard + piercing orb normally takes those minions down in no time
- Illusionist - Easy, those images usually have very low health so go down in no time from blizzard alone
- Invulnerable - Medium, takes longer to kite as the one you can dps is not always in front of the pack, hard in tight places
- Missile Damp - ?, dont know if I have seen any of these yet
- Shielding - Easy, just takes longer, but with combination of Fast they can be hard and take a long time
- Vampiric - Easy, we are not supposed to get hit, but again with Fast its very challenging
- Arcane Enhanced - Easy, run or tp away from those lasers, when kiting you rarely get hit, only die to those when Vortexed
- Desecrator - Medium, die more often to those than I want to admit - move aside fast, mirror image helps as it shifts you out of it also
- Electrified - Easy, dont think I have ever died from that (I used to die a lot in Diablo 2 from those)
- Fast - VERY HARD, these are usually the killers for me, tp wormhole gets you far away fast though and you can keep that kiting for a long time which is usually how I take them, blizzard all the time, but venom hydra hardly gets any dmg on them
- Fire Chains - Medium, but with combination of Vortex or Fast it can be difficult, tp away as far as possible then
- Frozen - Easy, need to kite anyway, be on the move and these will never be a problem, 5 mirror images help in case you get hit
- Jailer - Easy, mirror images break these, if not avaliable, I get hit once and its ready to break out
- Molten - Easy, dont walk on fire - again, we are kiting in one path - occationally I tp across, but 4 clicks is far on the opposite side
- Mortar - Medium, when the mobs are spread these are tough, you just have to run/tp away out of reach of all, these fights take time until the last one which normally allows me to go inside the mortar range and 5 mirror images confuse the mob for me to dps there
- Plagued - Easy, kite kite kite, never stand still (desecrator seems to damage me way more)
- Reflects Damage - Medium, often have to take at least one pot and often relies on enough health globes in the kiting path
- Teleporter - Medium, some really hard hitting ones can be tough, but normally I just tp or run the moment they are next to me, while 5 mirror images should help here I feel they frequently teleport to me instead
- Waller - Easy, teleport to the rescue, if on cooldown I hope mirror images can keep them occupied long enough, generally I try to be so far away from the mobs that they are unable to cast the wall in my path then (impossible if they are fast)
Whew, ok wall of text there, sorry cant keep it short. - I feel Mirror Images is really what makes me survive Act 2 so well (and decently in the start of Act 3 as well). Having problems with fast mobs, or hard hitting vortex mobs (if they are bunched up). So if anything I would consider you to drop Magic Weapon for Mirror Images and use wormhole on teleport instead. Those skills are really what gets me out of trouble most of the time.
Btw, here is my build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...RPO!WdY!bZbbZY
Considering swapping out glass cannon with blur although that means incoming damage is reduced by 20% (as well as more armor/resist from not using glass cannon) meaning lesser chance of proc'ing illusionist from some mobs - can compensate with a bit lower health but at the risk of oneshotting, even with force armor... hmm hard call...
Last edited by jcldude; 06-08-2012 at 13:18.
I have been reading up a bit on a couple of things about my build (post above) and variations. Some comments:
- Cold blooded tooltip is wrong, all damage is increased - its the main reason for this selection. Little beats 20% dmg increase imo. Blizzard has commented that the tooltip text will be fixed (whew!). Not quite sure if the damage increase works on hydra dmg yet, but I am quite sure it does.
- Venom hydra is naturally best for mobs that are slowed down or standing still. Many elite packs will just be moving through the pools too fast to get much damage from it, several people prefer Arcane Hydra for this since it does direct damage to one enemy (normally when you kite elite packs there are few for it to choose target from). Some say if you replace the Venom Hydra, the pools from the last will do no damage any more. I frequently place it all over the place so I am probably not getting the best out of it - or should switch to Arcane Hydra where each shoot is of direct value. Also, higher attack speed improves the shooting speed of the Hydra (goes for all).
- Temporal flux and Blizzard slowdowns do not stack! But TF can help out snaring fast mobs that are out of your blizzard. Since fast mobs are generally a kiting wizards main problem, trying TF in it might help if using the arcane hydra (or naturally if arcane is your primary). The snare from Blizzard is however twice as high as the TF passive (60% vs 30%) so quite possibly better to just spam those blizzards (snowbound is must have for this).
- One might think the passive paralysis would be good but since piercing orb is a multi target dmg skill, the proc chance is only 2% which makes it impossible to rely on if you have fast mobs moving towards you. It seems to proc well if you use Electrocute and Chain Lightning instead - 8% proc chance for up to 7 mobs per shot, chances are it will try to proc for each elite in a pack running towards you. Also having fast attack rate helps a lot here. A speed of 2 aps will give a chainlightning almost 70% chance to proc on one hit mob. Will have to try that one out, although it means no lovely piercing orb to mow down those elite packs.
Ok, I did some more testing with build variations around Blizzard as the main kiting skill. First I tried changing the venom hydra to the arcane one, hoping it could help out more on fast minions. While it is true that the arcane hydra does direct single target damage bigger than the venom hydra would for any mob passing quickly through a venom pool, I found it a less likeable choice. The venom hydra is just so much better for 90% of your encounters. Even some of the fast elite packs stop now and then enough for the venom to melt them quite a bit. This is especially true with 5x mirror images to keep them occupied. While those mirror images go down in a single hit from those mobs, it was frequently enough for them to stand long enough in a stacked pool of venom to get some serious damage. Many ranged elite mobs frequently stop to shoot also and the venom has great effect on these. Again for these packs mirror images is a must have as they will be mostly hitting your "buddies" and not you. I cannot understate the necessity for those 5x mirror images.
I have also tried speccing for a more glass cannon wizard, with sparkflint and magic weapon as well as glass cannon, changing force armor to the prismatic one (I then have around 900 resists). You know what? Even at that kind of resists the mob hits hard and while you can take 3-4 hits before you are dead due to higher dmg mitigation you are normally hit many times more since you feel you have to stop and do full damage more often. Naturally you can just do blizzard and run away all the time, in which case each blizzard will surely do more damage - but I felt the "glass cannon" spec just took longer still as I would not be able to have 5x mirror images confusing the enemies and holding them longer in one spot for several blizzards, venom hydra pools and my extra piercing orbs. Perhaps its possible to learn a playstyle with higher survivability, but I felt I died more than twice as often with the dmg enhancing skills than the more defensive ones.
I also tried the paralysis passive with chain lightning as main spell, and this was no success either. It seems the paralysis is severly shortened on Inferno (it was never 2 whole seconds) and the problem of actually having to target a mob to get those lightings out was very stressing compared to the piercing orbs where I just had to shoot in the general direction to hit the mobs after me. The directional aoe kinda of damage of the orb is just so much simpler to use. To get those lightnings out I felt I stood more still than I normally do, which was often enough for me to take way more hits than before. In combination with dmg skills it was a recipie to disaster. Although I can imagine this is a good one if you can get dmg up in to 100k and have resists around 1200 and armor around 5k.
Vault of the Assasin runs are great, and with my build (linked two posts above) I am able to do a full run with very few deaths. I also learned to use the "landscape" to my advantage as mobs with vortex are never able to pull you from a ledge/corner, even though you are still able to do full dps/blizzard/whatever. Its a nice way to avoid those vortex mobs since they can often be tough ones if they also are hard hitting (generally I always are able to teleport out of it and way out of danger with wormhole). I feel I have the most problem with those invisible snakelike creatures since you are unable to do dps on them when they are invisible naturally. But the 5x mirror images is really helping out a lot here as it brings them out of their disguise to face my "buddies" and gives me enough time to blizzard, venom and full dps on them. Another nasty pack there is those ranged archer skeletons if his minions are of the invulnerable type. You need to get dps in on the main dude and he is often slow and stands way back while you have those invulnerable guys chasing you around. I have been able to pull a couple of these with me a bit off and then quickly teleport 4 clicks back the the main boss who is then alone for me to dps. Again, the mirror images are almost a must have as the ranged are shooting them a lot instead of me.
I tried again switching to a more glass cannon spec as I got some new gear and with all buffs my dps was around 60k. Even with that I had problems with some packs even on Act 1 as there were just too few defensive abilities besides my teleport. The standard blizz/hydra/tp/mirror/force armor with piercing orb seems to be the most solid kiting build where you dont have to go crazy on crit gear. I have been able to build up a fairly decent gear set with base MF 228 so that gets up into 300 with 5xNV stacks. I think it would be quite impossible to do the same gear with crit stuff without paying a lot.
Last edited by jcldude; 10-08-2012 at 08:13.