Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Obscure, classic, Indie or just plain 'WTF?' games to try?

Howdy. I'm interested in trying new (or old) obscure, flash, indie or just plain weird short games that you might know of or have found recently. Or those with rediculously impossible difficulties, such as the old NES/Sega games. I'm going to list a couple of mine that I would highly recommend, and hopefully, someone else will know of some, and share theirs. There are a couple others that have been mentioned in the EMB and other places, as well as popular ones such as Nethack, which I haven't tried. Other obscure games, including card games, may be mentioned, such as Munchkin Quest and popular sorts such as Magic the Gathering, so basically, this could be a compilation of Indie/Flash/Weird/Obscure games that some people may like to try if they have some time. The ones I'm going to recommend and briefly describe are Way, Ecco the Dolphin, and Escape from the Underworld.

-----------------------------------------------

Way (Trailer inside)

A must try. I won't spoil it too much, but 'In Way, two strangers learn to speak.' An amazing concept, well executed, and a heart-warming game - definitely worth playing until you finish it. Unfortunately, it does require two people, and it isn't guarenteed that you'll get a partner immediately. And there is a chance to get a troll, or someone who leaves without warning. Still, definitely worth it given the ending. If nothing else, watch the trailer on the site linked.

Ecco the Dolphin

Ok, as I just gave this game another shot, I want to share my experience with this... game. I enjoyed it as a child on the Sega MegaDrive, but never got far. Lucky for me, as this game is rediculously difficult, and the challenges require patience and time. The story is... You'll see. Let's start from the beginning.

You are Ecco, a dolphin, happily swimming and communicating with your pod, no burdens upon your fins, with happy and positive music. Starts simply enough. No troubles understanding the game yet? Well, unfortunately, this simple premise of swimming with your pod got turned into quite the unusual game.

Under the spoiler is a real spoiler, a simple walkthrough of the story. If you want to give this a go, please stop reading at any point, and try to give it a go yourself. Understand that the there are numerous mazes, the difficulty is very tough, and there are almost no hints as to how you're meant to proceed against some bosses.

Spoiler

And the sequel, Ecco 2: Tides of Time gets even better, but that will do for another tale.

Escape From The Underworld

An Indie adventure game. Very simple, but very well executed and quite enjoyable. You play as an angel, sent to the depths of Hell, and stripped of all belongings and power. But who sent you, and why? And will you right a wrong. Who is that 'angel' to order you sent to Hell anyway? Another great game with secret rooms, weapons and items, and various challenges to try to complete.

Now, having heard about three old, indie, weird, or just plain rediculous games, I'd like to give a couple more a go. Please post your own review of any interesting games you've come across lately.

Cheers
    ~Dryst

Last edited by Drystan; 02-07-2012 at 10:08.

IncGamers Member

Re: Obscure, classic, Indie or just plain 'WTF?' games to try?

If you havent yet, you definately have to try darwinia AND multiwinia ;]

IncGamers Member

Hey Drystan.

I used to play Magic the gathering on the PC as well as RL, if you find a working flash version please tell me.

Also play the original Mario flash game on the net sometimes.

Good thread idea

I've been talking about The Binding of Isaac a lot lately, since the expansion was released at the end of May. that link goes to the intro to the game, which is about all the story you need. From there, the game plays as a rogue-like very very very similar to LoZelda (bombs that break open secret walls, keys, heart containers, etc.)
    The game is immensely difficult, with the randomization of drops partially determining how much skill you need to survive. Of course, after a few attempts the game becomes understandable.
    One of my favourite aspects of the game is that there are 100+ items (200+ in the expansion) and most of them change your appearance in-game. Some things are pretty funny, too, like a battery or rock sticking out of your head, or wings that make you able to fly over rocks and the like.
    I also really enjoy the enemies, and the bosses are well-designed, too.
    As for a gameplay video, you're probably best finding one on your own, that doesn't say anything like "last boss, etc. etc." for spoiler reasons. A Let's Play is probably a good idea.

If you're looking for really difficult (although I've never played it) I would look for games that the Angry Video Game Nerd (AVGN) has tried. A very good example of this is Deadly Towers for NES, which has aspects similar to Zelda as well.

i'll come back once I've thought of some more.

IncGamers Site Pal crawlingdeadman's Avatar

Somebody in my office showed my a game called "QWOP", which is an INCREDIBLY frustrating and impossible game where you make a character run by pressing those keys.

^HAHAHAHA
    Yes, it is frustrating. even knowing how to do it, it is still difficult.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drystan View Post
    Unfortunately, it does require two people, and it isn't guarenteed that you'll get a partner immediately. And there is a chance to get a troll, or someone who leaves without warning.
    Is it based on matchmaking only? Can you play the game with a friend?

BattleTag DJMBBANDIE07-1586

I recommend Doom. It's the grandfather of all FPS games.

Here's a website with Act I of the game (not playable with Mac)

Warning: Kind of gory.

@skiffcz - I'm looking more for oldschool/classic freeware/abandonware types, or just plain weird/strange indie games. Just some short things. Nothing to get hooked on, but play through a couple times when I have some time. I think Darwinia is fairly recent, isn't it (compared with the types I'm looking for anyway?) Still, I do remember Darwinia, as my bro enjoyed it at one stage.

@reddragon - I've only just seen MtG. A YT'er who's doing a HC LP of DIII is also making a playthrough of a MtG game, and it looks quite enjoyable. Unfortunately, I don't know of any flash versions, but I'm skeptical about the intelligence of the AI anyway in that type of game.
    Which mario flash game? The original NES version remade, or a different one? I've always been a fan of SMB3 for the NES. Grew up with that one.

@pharphis - Yes. You're the main reason I began looking for these types again. I've seen the game from your links previously, but that trailer is just crazy dark. LoL. I'll probably give TBoI a go one night over the weekend - not completely sure if I'll get into the humour of it or not though.
    Also, some good LP'ers which brought back memories of games from my childhood (such as Ecco the Dolphin, as I never finished that as a kid.)

The classic NES games are rediculous in their difficulty. Look up Air Fortress or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Even SEGA's Ecco the Dolphin is rediculously hard - search through labyrinths, and when you die, start the whole level again, and the final auto-scrolling stage is just horrid to your sanity. I've watched some of AVGN, but I enjoy Frankomatic and DeceasedCrab's LP's more.

@CDM - Awesome! Great list. I remember quite a few of those, and even have One Must Fall 2097 on my laptop at the moment. I'll give that list a good look through when I can. It is missing Elite+ though.

@Robby - XD I've had the unfortunate experience of trying to work out QWOP as well... I gave up on it within 5 minutes, but still kept trying for a little longer, just to get a few laughs from it.

@Lasagnamantis - You load the game, and then it waits until there is someone else also waiting. I'm not sure exactly how it matches up or how many are on it, but when there are two people waiting, it then hooks you up with them and starts. If you leave it in the background, you can usually hear the background music change, so you can be doing something else while waiting.
    If you and your friend both load it up around the same time, I don't see why it wouldn't match you up. There aren't many people on it anyway, but still, leave it in the background, and give it a shot. It is a very unique concept.
    You can also make Private (named) games, but I don't know how they work exactly. My setup doesn't let me join (unless I create one and join with myself.)

@bandie - Wolfenstein 3D is the grandfather. It came out a year before Doom. I'm more of a Duke Nukem fan though. Still, if you want to shoot classic monsters, Doom is a good choice. Quite gory, so please keep that in mind.