Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

View Poll Results: What do you prefer, and Economy based on gold or items?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Items

38 55.88%
  • Gold

30 44.12%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Economy: Items vs. Gold

One of the major differences from D2 - D3 is the commodity used for the economy (yes yes, this is obvious to everyone by now). This GREATLY impacts the economy, and results in a large impact to the gameplay.

In D2 gold was useless, and D3 does a great job to make gold useful. However, it raises the question, is gold TOO valuable in this game?

I would argue that it is. From my experience MFing isn't really worth the effort. From the many runs I have done I haven't really FOUND any items that are upgrades for me. This leads to a feeling that it would be more efficient to farm gold. Farming gold is like farming items, except it is really boring. In D2 I got this feeling that every time I killed meph / diablo / baal something AMAZING might drop. When I did meph runs i got this feeling of "OMFG this could be the run my HOZ / SS / Vampgaze drops." This resulted in a very addictive feeling of wanting to do 1 more run.

In D3 I get the feeling that I'm playing for gold. Gold is what I want to get me any item in the game. Sure, it is much easier than the old D2 system. When I find an item I don't have to trade it for XXXX Sojs / HR's, and then trade those for the item i want. However, it is much more fun / addictive to hunt items. In D3 the best thing to do is farm gold, and this is very very very boring.

This is a huge downfall to a game based on finding ITEMS. I find myself hopping on D3, doing a run or 2 which results in finding some **** rares or some rares I can sell on the AH. The end result is a marginal increase in my net worth in gold. Not too exciting, and the runs don't give the same feeling of excitement that at any pack kill something AWESOME will drop.

---------------------------ALSO-----------------------

Bots in D3 compared to duping / bots in D2.

Bots in D3 have a significantly increased detrimental effect on the economy. Farming gold is easy and efficient. Duping / bots in D2 didn't seem to harm me as severely. If anything, duping made HR's EASIER to obtain without actually decreasing the in game power of the HR.

Duping made high powered and fun runewords more easy to create (since duping essentially decreased the currency value of HR's).

In D3, botting is making gold less and less powerful, which is making it harder and harder to obtain items via the AH.

Re: Economy: Items vs. Gold

Has to be items...

Gold encourages gold farming as a way to get the best items (as long as the GAH is used). Gold farming is incredibly boring and goes against the addictive nature of Diablo item farming. Gold works in a game like WoW because you can't list most items on the AH. But in D3, where everything can be put on the AH, you can essentially turn the game into a massive gold farm. It does seem like Blizzard has made most gold farming locations less efficient recently though, which is a plus. It seems like it's pretty difficult to get anything over 500k / hour now.

But when gold farming becomes the best way to get items it dulls the game because gold farming isn't dynamic or fun. Gold farming doesn't even feel like you're playing the game. Same goes for the RMAH of course. When the RMAH becomes more efficient than item farming in terms of workhours per item, it dulls the game because it makes more sense to play the game less and earn more real money to get the best items.

Neither one of these routes to getting the best items can be more efficient than actually finding the items themselves (and acquiring that added value in the form of the items as opposed to real money or gold). Otherwise it dulls the game. Gold could be on the way out though, I'm not sure how it'll stick around honestly once the RMAH prices drop.

Once you get away from caring about gold... the same problem will exist with the RMAH honestly. Eventually the prices for strong items should be valued lower than what they should be for the time invested. This could create an imbalance where the items are too cheap and RMAH use is encouraged which turns D3 into a PtW game essentially. People swear they'll never pay real money for a video game item, but when you realize that you're spending $5 on an item that would take you 7 hours to farm for, it just won't make sense to not do it.

When either one of these methods becomes the most efficient way to get items the game gets dull. And when the drop rates are made too low in order to compensate for the existence of the AHs, the player doesn't "win" enough to want to keep playing.

The RMAH prices need to get a lot lower and more people need to have access to the high end items to see exactly what will happen though.

We're still a long way from seeing how people will truly interact with the RMAH... which has to be what the developers are watching the closest.

Personally, GOLD

Well, look further the legendaries patch over the rainbow.
    But still at least Gold is worth something, had too much of pindle runs with craps.
    Now we are also technically doing "pindle" runs but you get consolated with GOld + NPC items if the drops dun turn out well.

Dunno if u had watch Athene suggestion, i had this thought too when the RMAH started.

WHY CANT THEY JUST SELL GOLD IN THE RMAH.

=.=

Makes the not too user friendly AH even much tedious to look for things both sides, wont it be easier to be able to tweak the gold cost which will affect BOTH the AH economy.

Well, the issue with pindle-style runs in D3 is that your chance of getting good items is generally extremely low. The best way to get items is doing full runs with NVx5. Also, most people who are gold farming have low MF, and vice-versa, so if you're farming gold you won't get good items enough for it to be fun. But yeah, before 1.0.3, Sarkoth with high MF was an awful experience where you very very rarely got a good item and didn't get very much gold. Not that it's much better now, but I think you at least can get a higher ilvl from him now.

You should be able to sell gold on the RMAH in the near future, they just haven't implemented it yet. I think when people are able to buy 100,000 gold for like 0.50 at the most, gold farming will become pointless and could be what creates the transition to the RMAH.

Wonder why they haven't enabled that feature yet? Probably makes more sense for them to wait until the RMAH is more popular, gold is a lot less popular, and the RMAH prices drop.

BattleTag Carisma-1132

To me Diablo is about the items, but now its about the gold. Between the high repair cost and the insane prices on the AH, gold hunting has became boring, as I am not search for something shiny, but rather big piles of gold. As much as I enjoyed the idea of the gold based economy before D3 came out, now that I have seen it, the feel diablo once had is gone.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carisma View Post
    To me Diablo is about the items, but now its about the gold. Between the high repair cost and the insane prices on the AH, gold hunting has became boring, as I am not search for something shiny, but rather big piles of gold. As much as I enjoyed the idea of the gold based economy before D3 came out, now that I have seen it, the feel diablo once had is gone.
    I agree. I was initially excited about gold based economy however I had over looked gold farming which was inevitable. Hunting items was much more fun.

BattleTag ChaosMagika-2981

The problem is there are no items which could replace gold this easily. Gems are mostly concentrated gold.
    Since creating gems costs gold and the gold is "destroyed" in the process using them deflates gold thus makes it more valueable.

I would suggest instead using crafting materials like brimstone instead. Because if you hoard them they cannot be used for crafting which would also destroy gold. But since you are using that for trade directly you are preventing the gold (and the brimstone) to be destroyed inflating both. But since brimstone is much more rare than gold it doesn't affect it as much and it can only be obtained by actually killing monsters in inferno. (one way or the other)

Some people already gave the word out, I think too D3s future currency after gold inflation is brimstone.

But i still feel Jeweller will have a big part. They will try to sink gold from the NPCs

And dun forget about the enchanter?

Gems were worthless before crafting arrived in D2 vanilla.
    Runes before runewords?

BattleTag Ulthrakk-1149
    What if the GAH was removed?

While that doesn't necessarily solve every problem in regards to item quantity and value, it does make items more relevant, whether you want to find them to use, or to sell.

Item.

GAH is the worst thing to have happened to DIII. Ever. It drove Blizzard to make conscious design choices in adherence to it.

Outside of RMAH, of course.