Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Re: What's up with all the crazy conspiracy theories?

The way I see it, it is partly because people are heavily biased, and partly because the internet is too difficult a medium to have proper discussions. From what I've heard of the RMAH arguments, most counterpoints are either never considered or ignored when making these arguments. The most popular example of this was people claiming the Inferno brick-wall was a deliberate incentive to shop on the RMAH, despite the fact that the patch notes for 1.0.3 had already been released, which clearly mentioned Blizzard's intention to not only nerf Inferno but increase high ilvl drop rates in lower acts. Another example would be the suggestion that repair costs are a means for facilitating buying better gear on the RMAH, when as stated players now have the option of playing in lower acts to find equivalent gear, and therefore don't need to pay the high repair costs. Also, these points are not as exciting as the conspiracy theory points, and perhaps appear less 'clever' than the conspiracy theory points, giving the illusion to some of being false because they are less intricate (this I feel also is a strong basis for cynicism).

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crudesash68 View Post
    That follow up post was excellent. Any thoughts on my remarks re Bash vs. Jay? It seemed to me they were at cross purposes, but maybe they were speaking of two different philosophies?
    They are telling people whatever they think they want to hear. Why would they say anything that customers would think was bad or negative? No company would say anything negative about its products that could make customers not want to buy them... It makes no difference if its true or not.
    Of course they dont want people to think the game was designed and balanced to make people want to use the Ah (gold or RM).

IMO, Bash made a mistake. He was not really allowed to say that. And Jay felt he had to try to repair the damage.

I guess I don't see what all the hoppla is about. I've bought and sold large numbers of items on the GAH. I upgrade gear every chance I get on my characters, keeping them as well geared as possible within a budget range I set. I sell the old gear and recoup my investment. Sometimes I'll pop a few Whimsy runs to shop the GAH. I've put some lvl 30/40 gear on the RMAH and it's sold and I've bought a couple of items on the RMAH. What's the friggin big deal? I've bought some gear, I'm happy. I've found gear I've used for a bit and then sold and I'm happy. I've sold gear on both AHs and I'm happy. Where's the problem here? I'm not seeing it. I've gotten good gear quickly using two purchase options both of which beat the hell out of endless hours groveling in a trade channel.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Soval View Post
    I keep hearing people insist, with great drama and self-righteous indignation, that it is obvious that the game was designed, ruined in fact, around the RMAH so Blizzard can nefariously make money -- but I have never seen any of them produce one iota of proof to back of any of this.

None. Zip, zero, nada.

Why? Because it isn't true at all.

Look and see if here are any forum posts, or twitter post, or interviews, or official announcements, or anything from the developers or the CM's that said that they were adding something, or removing something, or balancing something because they wanted to steer people towards the RMAH in order to play the game. You won't find any, because it isn't true.

And if they are building the game around making money from this mandatory RMAH, why did D3 ship without it? Why is there a Gold Auction House? Why are all the items on it items that were found by players? Why can you find usable, even optimal items at all?

Why, because they did not build the game around the RMAH.

If you think otherwise, then please provide proof... not, not anger, or speculation, or conspiracy theories, 'kay.
    Let me get this straight, your proof is that Blizzard didn't say so?
    Also, complaining posts are fine, not everyone is happy with the result and it's fine to voice your opinion. And yes some can be funny. But there's something even more funny and useless, when someone is complaining that others are complaining.

Just in case you really believe what you said (not sure if you do), of course some find items, the idea of player sold items seem to be more accepted generally so it was a smart move. As long as it's rare. And of course today's self finders or GAH users are potential RMAH users of tomorrow, when they get frustrated enough. I am not a business guy but it's pretty logical. If there was no item drops at all, and no GAH, much less PAYING customers would play, and not even nearly 6 million would have purchased the game. Let's not forget at 60 euro/usd a box (or lol, a download) there's quite a lot of money especially considering that a lot of these people already stopped playing.

edit:
    all the items on it items that were found by players
    You're stating this as if it is a fact.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by gblan View Post
    I guess I don't see what all the hoppla is about. I've bought and sold large numbers of items on the GAH. I upgrade gear every chance I get on my characters, keeping them as well geared as possible within a budget range I set. I sell the old gear and recoup my investment. Sometimes I'll pop a few Whimsy runs to shop the GAH. I've put some lvl 30/40 gear on the RMAH and it's sold and I've bought a couple of items on the RMAH. What's the friggin big deal? I've bought some gear, I'm happy. I've found gear I've used for a bit and then sold and I'm happy. I've sold gear on both AHs and I'm happy. Where's the problem here? I'm not seeing it. I've gotten good gear quickly using two purchase options both of which beat the hell out of endless hours groveling in a trade channel.
    Reading your post or atleast what I can gather from it actually highlights the problem that I have. It seems(correct me if I'm wrong) that your playing is very centered around the auction houses " I've bought and sold large numbers of items on the GAH" "some on RMAH". If that's fun for you then great. I have difficult time adjusting to the auction house mentality. I don't think that's unreasonable since the previous Diablo titles had a very different mentality. For me, it's all about finding the items myself. I don't want my play to be centered around moving large amounts of items and gold in the auction houses. I don't want to farm gold. I want to farm items, items that I can use myself. Also since I don't want and I can't play huge amount of time per day I want to find the items in a reasonabe enough time. The time I've played 1 char in D3 that's semi sucky still I could have leveled and geared multiple excellent D2 chars. The playstyle I want was possible in D2 and D1. It is greatly less satisfying in D3. This is because of the auction houses I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by buddah View Post
    Reading your post or atleast what I can gather from it actually highlights the problem that I have. It seems(correct me if I'm wrong) that your playing is very centered around the auction houses " I've bought and sold large numbers of items on the GAH" "some on RMAH". If that's fun for you then great. I have difficult time adjusting to the auction house mentality. I don't think that's unreasonable since the previous Diablo titles had a very different mentality. For me, it's all about finding the items myself. I don't want my play to be centered around moving large amounts of items and gold in the auction houses. I don't want to farm gold. I want to farm items, items that I can use myself. Also since I don't want and I can't play huge amount of time per day I want to find the items in a reasonabe enough time. The time I've played 1 char in D3 that's semi sucky still I could have leveled and geared multiple excellent D2 chars. The playstyle I want was possible in D2 and D1. It is greatly less satisfying in D3. This is because of the auction houses I believe.
    This could be a defining issue. I do in fact enjoy the AH very much. I like the buying, selling, speculating and shopping. You are correct that D3 has no where near the item hunt excitement that D2 had and I can sympathize with you there. Maybe D3 will eventually evolve into a game that provides the excitement of the item drop and the simplicity of AH style trading. Only time will tell.

BattleTag Ulthrakk-1149

Quote Originally Posted by ysuol View Post
    You're stating this as if it is a fact.
    Based on our available information, it is a fact.

For all we know, the core of the earth could be made of chocolate.

I think at few of you misread my original post. I didn't mean to say that they didn't design the game with the AH in mind, ofc they did. They would be stupid not to, for several reasons. They eradicate alot of the gold and item sellers by allowing people to do the very same thing in game, but with Blizzards 'blessing', and there is also the monetary feedback from all these transactions.

What I ment to say however, is that I doubt that they make game balance desitions based around the RMAH. I'm sure they are happy that people are using the RMAH, but i honesly doubt that they have a game-balance meeting where someone sits down and says 'Right, how to we force people to use the RMAH'

But that's just my view of how i would run a game company, but in the end i don't. So maybe the allmight dollar does win out, I just don't think so.

Clan Officer - US East Hardcore AlexanderBarin's Avatar
    BattleTag MotherMedusa-1643

Love this thread, so many more people to my ignorelist!

There is no conspiracy.

Does Blizzard want to make money with RMAH? Yes.
    Is that wrong? No.
    Does it affect their gameplay design? Yes. They designed the game with GAH and RMAH in mind.
    Is that wrong? No.
    You're crazy! They want to rob us of our real life money!

Nope. I haven't spent a dime, and having tons of fun for 300+ hours now. I've killed 5x high lvl barbs in HC, and geared back up in 2 days, wearing amazing gear that makes me feel like a monster (though not yet good enough to try out more exotic builds, but that's coming soon). Had I been playing SC instead I'd be a GOD by now.

Without ever using RMAH.

So think about it, and tell me where the problem is.

(Hint, the problem is you. Go back to D2 and don't waste forum space. Thanks.)

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by rugga View Post
    They are telling people whatever they think they want to hear. Why would they say anything that customers would think was bad or negative? No company would say anything negative about its products that could make customers not want to buy them... It makes no difference if its true or not.
    true. which is why 99% of this site ended up paying $60 to become beta testers.