Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Ugrading the Blacksmith

Trying to delve into design here:

Yep, a tome of secrets is magic. While the other tomes can be used only by one artisan (Blacksmith/Jeweler) , the tome of secrets can be used by any artisan of any speciality (sad part is that we only have 2 artisans in the world), that's why they are magical.

You can buy them on AH for cheap, if you use AH and want to upgrade your artisans on early difficulties, namely, your Jeweler. (If I could make my blacksmith dumber in exchange of gold...)

Edit: sorry, I'm blind, didn't saw the "I never plan to use the AH" part on the OP. On earlier levels, blacksmith is good, but it seems to be better just farm for gear and save gold for repair costs/gem upgrades than spending time with blacksmith.

Normally, you want Stat, Vit, All Res wherever you can. Godly mod(s) of your build in good numbers somewhere (life on hit, crit chance, crit damage, stuff...). While you can handle the game with big stick of hurt (your best dps weapon) and a 2 stats (early-mid hell), blacksmith is good. After that, if AH isn't your thing, imo you should save gold for vendors (there are blues with dual stat + all res)/mfing/gems/repair costs.

Last edited by BaronScarpia; 22-06-2012 at 17:55. Reason: re-reading the OP

They start dropping at the beginning of Nightmare? I am also only in Act 3 Normal so upgrading will have to wait quite a while. That is a little disappointing as the current crafting list is pretty limited (only 5-6 rares, iirc). And the crafting supplies are builing up, taking up valuable trunk space.

As an aside, crafting is random and the class crafting the item has no influence right? I crafted a few helmets with my wizard and most of them came with some amount of INT, coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by BaronScarpia
    Edit: sorry, I'm blind, didn't saw the "I never plan to use the AH" part on the OP. On earlier levels, blacksmith is good, but it seems to be better just farm for gear and save gold for repair costs/gem upgrades than spending time with blacksmith.

Normally, you want Stat, Vit, All Res wherever you can. Godly mod(s) of your build in good numbers somewhere (life on hit, crit chance, crit damage, stuff...). While you can handle the game with big stick of hurt (your best dps weapon) and a 2 stats (early-mid hell), blacksmith
    You're right, most of the decent items on my characters are from monster drops. I may have crafted a really nice pair of pants, but that's about it.

I'm only in Normal so just focusing on Primary Stat/Vit/+Dmg. Hardest part is always obtaining a decent weapon ... 3/5 of my characters are still stuck with crappy blues, but I'm happy my Wizard lucked out with a really good 1H sword (w/ flawless Ruby).

If it makes you feel any better, the recipes you'll get from levels requiring pages will require NM crafting ingredients...

Nearly all of my items that can have sockets, do. I've gotten to the point where I'll pretty much blindly dump anything that doesn't have sockets or green numbers.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by lukin View Post
    The pages start dropping in NM act1.
    Actually they drop pretty regularly in normal Whimsyshire too---that's where I did my first few pages-required upgrades.

BattleTag UnclePain-1924

^ Forgot about normal Whimsy -- this is true. Unfortunately, NM Whimsy doesn't produce tomes. Gotta actually enter Hell for those.