Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Coming IAS nerf is 50%-75%?!

Another site has datamined patch 1.03 and looked at IAS item values. All of them appear to be nerfed by 50%-75%.
    http://d3db.com/news/id/268-datamine...es-unofficial/
    Can anyone confirm this?
    IAS is definitely OP, but I think a 25% nerf would have been more appropriate. Monks aren’t going to be any better off despite the lowered monster damage if their LoH and LpSS get nerfed this hard.
    Not to mention a lot of people who bought expensive IAS items on the RMAH are going to be pissed off. Yet another legal ****storm for Blizzard.

IncGamers Member

Re: Coming IAS nerf is 50%-75%?!

Yep. It's on the patch notes.

IncGamers Member
    BattleTag Basel3-2612

Maybe IAS is overpowered, but the monk in general does not look overpowered to me.
    What I see is that IAS increases your damage number faster than practically anything else (so what ?).
    We are left with FoT as the only viable option, anything else would be too slow to be actually usable.

I am not exactly thrilled.

Me neither (especially considering I finally got Tal's Guardianship a while ago). The monk is definitely not overpowered, and stacking attack speed with heal on hit modifiers was pretty much the only way for us to stay alive in inferno and have decent DPS at the same time. Not to mention that attacking 3 times a second is just plain fun. Blizz's argument is that "IAS is so good that everyone has to use it, we want builds without it to be just as viable." This is irrational, because everyone uses vitality, should we nerf that too? What about primary stats? And what's wrong with having a powerful and valuable stat that stands out from the rest of the lackluster incremental increases that constitute the affix pool?

So the question is, will IAS even be worth devoting an affix slot to after this nerf? And if it's not, what new methods can monks use to get by in inferno?

IncGamers Member

The IAS nerf on the surface looks to be a simple global nerf, but on a deeper level its a nerf that specifically targets monk, who hurts a LOT more from IAS nerf then all the other class.

So either the intention is also add a major nerf monk as they feel monks are OP, or they have no clue as to the consequences of their design decision.

By my rough guess the IAS nerf will equate a 20-25% spirit generation penalty on monks for most players.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by aj2000 View Post
    The IAS nerf on the surface looks to be a simple global nerf, but on a deeper level its a nerf that specifically targets monk, who hurts a LOT more from IAS nerf then all the other class.

So either the intention is also add a major nerf monk as they feel monks are OP, or they have no clue as to the consequences of their design decision.

By my rough guess the IAS nerf will equate a 20-25% spirit generation penalty on monks for most players.
    Keep in mind that they're theoretically also lowering life, damage, and most particularly spike damage of A2+ monsters. It seems to me that this would be most in favor of monks (of all classes). Barbs can just pile up HP to deal with damage spikes; monks' heals lose effectiveness if you keep tossing more and more hp on instead of building mitigation.

Then, too, Blizzard seems to not be concerned with individual class balance issues in this patch; they seem to want the big picture to start heading in the right direction.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Karth View Post
    Barbs can just pile up HP to deal with damage spikes; monks' heals lose effectiveness if you keep tossing more and more hp on instead of building mitigation.
    I don't even use BoH anymore. I replaced it with cyclone strike (reduced spirit cost). I heal more from a cycle of crippling wave surrounded by trash than I do from BoH. My life isn't even that high (44k), but BoH is basically nothing. The only thing it is good for is the fear, but blinding flash does basically the same thing, only better.

Cyclone strike is also just amazing for grouping, so yeah.

Then, too, Blizzard seems to not be concerned with individual class balance issues in this patch; they seem to want the big picture to start heading in the right direction.
    That seems to be it. After they patch it they'll probably notice "oh, monk spirit generation is screwed" and then fix that the patch after :(

What they should have done is leave the IAS values alone, but make IAS reduce your damage by 1/3 of its value. So 15% ias would increase your attack speed 15% but reduce your damage 5%. That would translate to a 9.25% damage increase from it, which puts it more in line with the other damage stats you can get on slots - and still makes it good for spirit generation.

IncGamers Member

:P All of your heals are still integer heals. Life on hit, life per spirit spent, potions, life rep. All things that would make you prefer to get your effective hp through increasing mitigation more than hp (though of course this gets difficult eventually).

I don't think adding another layer of complexity to the problem like that is the solution. Halving values messes things up, sure, but I think this is just going to underline the importance of fast weapons and on-weapon ias (nerfed or not). How many people do you know that were using daggers when they could get a higher-dps sword, mace, axe, or fist weapon and still easily reach 2.x attacks per second?

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by magicrectangle View Post
    That seems to be it. After they patch it they'll probably notice "oh, monk spirit generation is screwed" and then fix that the patch after :(

What they should have done is leave the IAS values alone, but make IAS reduce your damage by 1/3 of its value. So 15% ias would increase your attack speed 15% but reduce your damage 5%. That would translate to a 9.25% damage increase from it, which puts it more in line with the other damage stats you can get on slots - and still makes it good for spirit generation.
    Very true =3 That's what I would expect the patching cycle to be like, the time between 1.03 & 1.1 will be an interesting one for monks.

I like that IAS idea, or as someone else posted a speed normalized spirit gain system that would also fix 2 handers. Alas quick fix jobs seems to be the order of the day, let's hope 1.1 provides a more thought out solution.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Karth View Post
    :P All of your heals are still integer heals. Life on hit, life per spirit spent, potions, life rep. All things that would make you prefer to get your effective hp through increasing mitigation more than hp (though of course this gets difficult eventually).
    Increasing mitigation is obviously key to making your LoH more effective, but you need a big enough pool that you can survive a few large hits in a row, too. Given the multiplicative relationship of health and mitigation in calculating effective health, once you have decent resists/armor some vitality/%life is by far the cheapest way to get your EHP up to the point where you can absorb enough hits that "spike" damage isn't a problem.

How many people do you know that were using daggers when they could get a higher-dps sword, mace, axe, or fist weapon and still easily reach 2.x attacks per second?
    In my tank gear (IE for grouping) I use a dagger with IAS on it. It also has LoH and a socket which I added a star amethyst to for more LoH. It is a measly 600 dps weapon, but when I'm in a group I don't give a toss about that - I just spam cyclone strike and crippling wave.