Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Question Cull the Weak + Cold damage interaction

OK, as title says, I want to know, whether the FIRST hit with +cold damage weapon applies the 15% bonus to total dmg, or you have to really hit already chilled/snared target to get that bonus. Logic says that 15% dmg bonus from Cull the Weak applies only to hitting already chilled/snared target, but Blizzard could have made it the way it first applies debuff (chill/snare) and then damage, even though it looks like damage and snare was applied at the same time ingame.

Thank you.

IncGamers Member

Re: Cull the Weak + Cold damage interaction

I don't think this is really the kind of thing the (guide) tag is for. :/ I don't know the answer to your question, but it would be pretty easy to test with a (very) low level 2h crossbow (for a tight damage range) with cold damage and enough min damage on the weapon.

IncGamers Member

Yeah I am sorry with the tag, I thought I have to put my thread in one of them, that it's compulsory... I'm new to IncGamers. I was testing it with my 2h-xbow already, but due to number of rings, amulet and so, the dmg range is quite wide, ok then I will try it on zombies from A1 with some testing equipment. I'll report here, because I think, Cull the Weak can be pretty good passive if it works the way I described earlier.

IncGamers Member

Okay, so I got bored and tested this. All the skills I tested that did weapon damage seem to apply their snare (whether from the skill or a weapon with cold damage) before the actual damage, so Cull the Weak is applied to damage done on the first shot. I wasn't rigorous by any means about testing every skill, but this points towards good things for Cull the Weak.

IncGamers Member

Ah, thank you very much! I was just about testing it myself, and do so anyway, after testing I will report here too, and hopefully support your testing.

IncGamers Member

Will also confirm that cull the weak damage is applied on the first shot if that shot snares.

IncGamers Member

Yeah, I just tested it, APPROVED! Even the first shot works, that is nice little thing and hopefully it will kick that overrated Sharpshooter passive *** Tested on basic arrow attack, Hungering Arrow, Evasive Fire and Multishot, so it should work on the rest of our (nonelemental) skills as well. I can see now, the placement of elements into attacks makes complete sense, at least for balance purposes. Now I know why Multishot/Fire at Will is elemental (lightning), without it, +cold damage weapons will have great advantage, and there are more examples like this

Thanks to everyone involved.

IncGamers Member

Hehe, and after this discovery, you can say it is a small Guide to debuff placement mechanics in Diablo 3.

IncGamers Member

Nice thorough testing came from PEDDROELM on eu.battle.net forums:

Yes - like the Wizard passive Cold Blooded the damage bonus applies on the first hit ... (you will notice when doing cold attacks - tooltip reads snared first and damage number for the attack after)

How I tested ...

Crossbow with 78-78 physical damage range (doctored with +min physical damage items)
    716 Dex

Normal Attack damage
    78 * (1 + 7.16) = 636.48 (636)

Elemental Arrow - Frost Arrow (155% first hit 170% secondary hits)
    78 * (1 + 7.16) * 1.55 = 986.544 (987)
    78 * (1 + 7.16) * 1.7 = 1082.016 (1082)

Elemental Arrow - Frost Arrow (155% first hit 170% secondary hits) WITH Cull the weak
    78 * (1 + 7.16) * (1 + 0.15) * 1.55 = 1134.5256 (1135)
    78 * (1 + 7.16) * (1 + 0.15) * 1.7 = 1244.3184 (1244)

---------------
    So skills that do cold damage (Ex. Elemental Arrow - Frost Arrow) or physical damage with cold damage range on weapon (Ex hungering arrow ) will always get the 15% damage bonus from Cull the weak ...
    --------

Last test - adding a regular damage modifier (steady aim 20%) to see how it interacts with the bonus from cull the weak...

Elemental Arrow - Frost Arrow (155% first hit 170% secondary hits) WITH Cull the weak & Steady Aim (20%)

78 * (1 + 7.16) * (1 + 0.15) * (1 + 0.2) * 1.55 = 1361.43072
    78 * (1 + 7.16) * (1 + 0.15) * (1 + 0.2) * 1.7 = 1493.18208

As expected the bonus from Cull the weak (15%) is applied to the base damage before the sum of regular damage multipliers (archery, steady aim, ..) (similar to Cold Blooded for wizard) and is thus multiplied by them ...

IncGamers Member

Multiplication between Steady Aim and Cull the Weak makes latter even slightly better than expected by me. Good, good :]