NUMPAD7 or "RUN! GO! RUN!"
This build is centered entirely around using a set of 12% runspeed boots and the Hot Pursuit passive to get the highest 'always on' run speed possible.
(It caps at 25% instead of 27% for some reason if you were curious)
- Hungering Arrow [Cinder Arrow]
- Bola Shot [Volatile Explosives]
- Smoke Screen [Displacement]
- Preparation [Battle Scars]
- Caltrops [Torturous Ground]
- Rain of Vengeance [Stampede]
- Tactical Advantage
- Steady Aim
- Hot Pursuit
First, let me discuss the easy choices:Smoke Screen - once you hit inferno, it will become apparent that this skill is practically mandatory. So many different attacks can kill you in a single hit that you have to have some way to avoid them. Smokescreen is preferable to Vault here because it also allows you to escape jailer and frozen mods.
Smokescreen seems to give you a 15% movement speed increase no matter what rune you take (check your character details screen for Movement Speed and you can see for yourself). So with that in mind, [Displacement] only actually increases your runspeed by an extra 20%. However, I think even 20% is noticeable and fits the theme, so I stuck with it. You could replace [Displacement] with [Lingering Fog] or [Special Recipe] to taste though.
Preparation - Since we're going to be using a lot of Discipline on Caltrops and Smoke Screen, this serves a double purpose. Not only will it instantly refill your Discipline if you happen to run low while kiting, but it's also an instant "oh SH*#" button if you accidentally take a hit and need a heal on top of a potion. If you're confident that you'll never need the heal, then you could replace Battle Scars with Backup Plan to erk out more Disc regen.
Caltrops [Torturous Ground] - The root from this skill/rune is pretty much the only thing that works on special mobs with the Fast affix. It seems as though they walk right through even the 80% slow from [Hooked Spines] without even blinking, but the 2 second root from [Torturous Ground] works like a charm. Much like Smoke Screen, I find this skill to be pretty much mandatory for inferno (unless you are playing with a good tank of course).
Rain of Vengeance - Since we're going to be using most of our Discipline on Caltrops and Smoke Screen; and we are trying to avoid Hatred spenders, this seems like a perfect fit. It has no cost and a modest cooldown and can be used as a wonderfully effective kiting tool. It's also great in tight spaces for those times where you get caught by a waller need to buy time before you can escape.
Tactical Advantage - Again, this fits well with the build theme and helps immensely in kiting/positioning.
Hot Pursuit - self-explanatory.
Now on to the other choices:
In order to use Hot Pursuit effectively, we want to avoid spending Hatred, so I tried a bunch of different variations of Hatred builders to see if I could get away with not using any hatred spending abilities at all.
Unfortunately, there are no builders that can effectively dps both single target and groups, so we need 1 single target and 1 group skill.
You can pretty much mix and match these to taste.
Single Target Skills
- Hungering Arrow [Cinder Arrow] - Highest single target Life on Hit coefficient.
- Hungering Arrow [Devouring Arrow] - I think this is slightly higher average DPS than Cinder if you don't care about Life on Hit.
- Evasive Fire [any rune] - No projectile travel time and can be fired through walls, but has to be precisely aimed.
- Bola Shot [Bitter Pill] - I didn't find that the 7yard radius on the explosion was large enough to count this as a group skill, but I did find that the increased Discipline could be advantageous in some circumstances.
- Hungering Arrow [Shatter Shot] - Easy to use while kiting, but the LoH coefficient is abysmal and it prevents you from using [Devouring Arrow] or [Cinder Arrow] which are both much better for single target dps.
- Bola Shot [Volatile Explosives] - I found this to be about as close to Elemental Arrow [Ball Lightning] as I could get with the generators when it comes to quickly clearing out large groups of normal mobs.
- Grenades [Fire Bomb] - Much easier to aim than any of the other Grenades runes.
- Grenades [Stun Grenades] - Chance to Stun can be amazing if your attack speed is high enough.
- Grenades [Gas Grenades] - Has a much higher LoH coefficient than any of the other group skills.
And then of course your are left with 1 passive slot for which there are several good options.Thrill of the Hunt
Obviously it's not quite as powerful as some of the NT builds out there right now, but as long as you stay on your toes, it's quite viable even when you're slightly undergeared.
However; if you OVER gear content, just ditch caltrops in favor of Vault[Acrobatics] and this build is instantly BEAUCOUPS of fun. It's SOOO fast.
If this thread gets enough views, I'll upload a video of my undergeared DH making this build work through Inferno Act1 so you can see how it plays; however, you can make a variation of this build work as early as level 27.
Let me know what you think!
Results 1 to 2 of 2
Thread: NUMPAD7 build
16-06-2012, 01:31 #1
Last edited by phor; 16-06-2012 at 07:40.
16-06-2012, 07:02 #2
- Join Date
- Aug 2011
- Los Angeles
Cool build! I may have to give this a go.