Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Re: Blizzard / Hydra (and Siegebreaker farming)

I've addressed piercing orb vs seeker already, but I should say it certainly isn't wrong to choose piercing orb. It is a great signature and if it matches your playstyle well, I say go for it. I prefer seekers for all the reasons I mentioned.

Snowbound vs stark winter though, I'm pretty set on. Snowbound is the better rune. There are just too many times where I find myself needing to cast many blizzards - mostly when kiting a faster elite pack. Such packs aren't all that common on siegebreaker, but they're common enough - and they're the most troublesome kind, and so the ones you want to keep in mind when choosing your spec.

Kiting a fast melee elite pack (say fallen) I frequently drain my AP bulb to empty casting snowbound blizzards, and use mirror images to make up the difference. Using stark winter they would be out of blizzard more than they'd be in it. The purpose of blizzard in the build is that it is a spammable snare. If it isn't spammable (because it is too expensive) then it isn't serving its purpose that well.

IncGamers Member

Just a few tips from the runs I've been doing solo lately:

-I personally do the first two areas of the act for 5 stacks as I feel they're easier than the path to Siegebreaker (probably because I'm still under-geared, but lately I've been doing them in 40 minutes, down from an hour...)
    -In those areas, there's lots of stairs and narrow areas, which help to trap Elites/monsters if you use a Mirror Image right on the stairs and they are chasing you. Drop a hydra there, Image, then blast away with Piercing Orb. Of course this may not work 100% of the time depending on the affixes and how your images behave
    -Before going to those areas, I use the Siegebreak wp to grab Tyrael first. Doesn't hurt to bring him along even though he's been nerfed!

And just weighing with my opinions on the skill choices discussed here:
    -Seeker vs Piecring Orb: as I discussed above, in the areas I get valor, you're almost always hitting multiple monsters, and even with elites, if you're kiting, they'll mostly form a line that all get hit by an Orb (espeically if you use the narrow areas/stairs). Yes it does take more mouse movement and sometimes I mis-fire, but for my runs it really helped
    -Snowbound vs Stark Winter: the reason why I suggested Astral Presence was that I was running out of AP using Stark blizzards. With Astral Presence, I was usually able to cast one on monsters and then one more in between us. However, I'll try out Snowbound tonight and see how it pans out; this way I can have another passive instead (Galv Ward for more regen... nothing else stands out)

On that note, does anyone know the radius of the un-Stark Blizzards? if it's like 15 yards (compared to 22 of Stark) then it'll make Snowbound way more attactive... I'm guessing it's close to 10 though?

Thanks!

IncGamers Member

Well siegebreaker runs are pretty pointless now, but the build is still good. Loot per time is far better farming elites than bosses, so it is best to just clear all the elites in act 3. I did such a run today - I killed every elite and every boss in act 3, it took about 5 hours.

I switched to prismatic armor, but I'm not 100% decided on that yet. With some testing, the only thing that can one-shot me with prismatic in act 3 is a red tremor, and that's pretty trivial to avoid. However, with prismatic armor, often things like fallen don't hit hard enough to trigger illusionist, which can actually lead to a "death by a thousand cuts" if I don't have cooldowns available to get out of being surrounded by the little bastards. I may go back to force armor (or drop some HP) just because of that.

Phase beast elite packs are the only thing that seems to be at all dangerous in act 3 now. The tongue guys are easy now, depending on the mods I can just stand and spam duplicates without kiting against tongue elite packs. If they have nasty mods of course I have to kite though. Phase beasts it doesn't even matter what their mods are. Any phase beast elite pack is going to be a pain. I made a point of killing all packs on this first run, but in the future I'll skip phase beast packs if I can - not worth the hassle (or repairs). If they can't be skipped I'll probably just make a new game. It can take several deaths to kill a phase beast elite pack, and deaths aren't cheap anymore.

IncGamers Member

That's good to know, that you can deal with those lashers now. I was unfortunate in my run yesterday and got elite packs at every entranceway/WP so I gave up after 4 stacks and just did Siegebreaker. I was scared to go on after that haha, so I just did a2 (and got crap drops). This is with your 5k buffed armor and 500 unbuffed resists, right?

Secondly, I tried out Snowbound, and found that it was quite spammable. As long as you line up the monsters you can have 3 blizzard's making a path for you to stand at the end and spam your sig. I'm sticking with Snowbound for now. Plus, the extra passive spot (from not needing Astral) is nice (using Ward to bring my regen up to 1.5k).

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeniX Skye View Post
    This is with your 5k buffed armor and 500 unbuffed resists, right?
    yeah, and 28k hp. I'm down to 37k damage with the attack speed nerf, but it feels like I actually kill faster than before, I guess because monsters lost HP. I definitely feel the slugishness of casting though, got used to quick, responsive casting with fast attack speed.

Secondly, I tried out Snowbound, and found that it was quite spammable. As long as you line up the monsters you can have 3 blizzard's making a path for you to stand at the end and spam your sig. I'm sticking with Snowbound for now. Plus, the extra passive spot (from not needing Astral) is nice (using Ward to bring my regen up to 1.5k).
    Another convert I love snowbound.

BattleTag melianor-2318

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeniX Skye View Post

Quote Originally Posted by magicrectangle View Post
    Another convert I love snowbound.
    Yeah Snowbound. Been using it with my build for long. Nice spammable and enough damage while being able to lay a slowing path before and behind your wizard.

IncGamers Member

question : how can u set hydra and blizzard as left and right mouse click?

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sevensi View Post
    question : how can u set hydra and blizzard as left and right mouse click?
    Make sure to select Elective Mode in the gameplay options. This allows you to assign skills however you like.

IncGamers Member

Cold blooded confirmed to work with all damage, not just cold damage. OP updated to reflect this.

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by magicrectangle View Post
    Cold blooded confirmed to work with all damage, not just cold damage. OP updated to reflect this.
    I wonder if it's a bug or just a bad tooltip... That's some huge damage boost for this build!